DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is that on top of the mill's head? Drawbar or a place tomount encoder? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/307039-re-what-top-mills-head-drawbar-place-tomount-encoder.html)

Ignoramus1880 July 26th 10 06:36 AM

What is that on top of the mill's head? Drawbar or a place tomount encoder?

Yes, the spindle is a splined, two part thing and the hollow top of
the spindle stays in place, regardless of the Z axis position (bottom
part).

This means that mounting an encoder on the top is very easy, just a
little machining exercise to make something that I can stick inside
and make it stay connected to the spindle, with some little top piece
to mount encoder wheel.

Gunner Asch[_6_] July 26th 10 10:35 PM

What is that on top of the mill's head? Drawbar or a place to mount encoder?

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:36:28 -0500, Ignoramus1880
wrote:

Yes, the spindle is a splined, two part thing and the hollow top of
the spindle stays in place, regardless of the Z axis position (bottom
part).

This means that mounting an encoder on the top is very easy, just a
little machining exercise to make something that I can stick inside
and make it stay connected to the spindle, with some little top piece
to mount encoder wheel.

Correct. Try something that will expand into the top of the spindle.
Its not a "wet" area, so your choice of materials is quite wide.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

DoN. Nichols[_2_] July 26th 10 11:44 PM

On 2010-07-26, Ignoramus1880 wrote:
Yes, the spindle is a splined, two part thing and the hollow top of
the spindle stays in place, regardless of the Z axis position (bottom
part).

This means that mounting an encoder on the top is very easy, just a
little machining exercise to make something that I can stick inside
and make it stay connected to the spindle, with some little top piece
to mount encoder wheel.

Great!

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Ignoramus2966 July 27th 10 12:20 AM

wrote:

Yes, the spindle is a splined, two part thing and the hollow top of
the spindle stays in place, regardless of the Z axis position (bottom
part).

This means that mounting an encoder on the top is very easy, just a
little machining exercise to make something that I can stick inside
and make it stay connected to the spindle, with some little top piece
to mount encoder wheel.

Correct. Try something that will expand into the top of the spindle.
Its not a "wet" area, so your choice of materials is quite wide.

I think that I can easily make something from brass or some such. Let
me think.

it would be a fun and inexpensive improvement.