DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Big triumph, HOME SWITCHES WORK AND MACHINE HOMES (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/306848-big-triumph-home-switches-work-machine-homes.html)

Ignoramus9140 July 22nd 10 06:49 AM

Big triumph, HOME SWITCHES WORK AND MACHINE HOMES

Finally common sense triumphed over laziness.

I found out all the home switch wiring. The home switches had a common
65 and signals 94, 95, 96 for X, Y and Z.

Wired and typed various **** into INI files, and after a lot of
confusion, all axes now home to limit switches and to index pulse.

They also do it relatively quickly. (approaching home slowly
does not work, as the switch bounces and confuses EMC).

The limit switches are now strictly for safety purposes.

When the machine traveled to the Y limit switch, I had a chance to
look at the fish scale pattern on the knee, and wow, the fish scale
looks like new!

Today was an unusually good day in other respects (visited Google
office in Chicago and got some good suggestions). This is really
rare. My average day is usually between medium and "meduim ****ty".

I have to figure out the coordinate system business tomorrow. I am
comlpetely confused.

Pete C. July 22nd 10 01:46 PM

Ignoramus9140 wrote:

Finally common sense triumphed over laziness.

I found out all the home switch wiring. The home switches had a common
65 and signals 94, 95, 96 for X, Y and Z.

Wired and typed various **** into INI files, and after a lot of
confusion, all axes now home to limit switches and to index pulse.

They also do it relatively quickly. (approaching home slowly
does not work, as the switch bounces and confuses EMC).

There should be a debounce interval parameter in there somewhere that
you can set to overcome switch bounce.

Ignoramus24043 July 22nd 10 01:51 PM

On 2010-07-22, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus9140 wrote:

Finally common sense triumphed over laziness.

I found out all the home switch wiring. The home switches had a common
65 and signals 94, 95, 96 for X, Y and Z.

Wired and typed various **** into INI files, and after a lot of
confusion, all axes now home to limit switches and to index pulse.

They also do it relatively quickly. (approaching home slowly
does not work, as the switch bounces and confuses EMC).

There should be a debounce interval parameter in there somewhere that
you can set to overcome switch bounce.

If I am fast enough in my initial move, bounce is not a problem any more.

What happens is that if I approach home slowly, the home switch
triggers, but since the table stops instantly, it untriggers. If the
table moves fast, it takes it some distance to stop (1mm?) and by that
time, the switch is fully actuated. Homing fast is what I want,
anyway.

The question I have is how fast should I be in my index-finding move
(latching move).

steamer July 22nd 10 05:56 PM

Big triumph, HOME SWITCHES WORK AND MACHINE HOMES

--Well hey, now that you're a pro you should come over and fix the
nonfunctioning X-axis home switch on *my* mill! :-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A human without a critter
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : is incomplete..

Ignoramus24043 July 22nd 10 05:58 PM

On 2010-07-22, steamer wrote:
--Well hey, now that you're a pro you should come over and fix the
nonfunctioning X-axis home switch on *my* mill! :-)

I do have some home switches for sale.

Jon Elson[_3_] July 22nd 10 10:53 PM

Ignoramus24043 wrote:

What happens is that if I approach home slowly, the home switch
triggers, but since the table stops instantly, it untriggers.

You may have oil in the switches. Now that you are using it, it may
clear up after a while. (or, it may get bad enough you will need to
eventually replace the switches. Watch during homing for it to ignore
the switch and just keep moving.)
If the
table moves fast, it takes it some distance to stop (1mm?) and by that
time, the switch is fully actuated. Homing fast is what I want,
anyway.

The question I have is how fast should I be in my index-finding move
(latching move).

Although the latest incarnation of the PPMC does this all in hardware at
10 MHz speed, it seems prudent that you shouldn't be moving more than 1
encoder count per servo cycle, or typically 1000 counts/second. But, in
fact, it doesn't matter, as the encoder counter is zeroed in hardware
when the index pulse is detected and the zero-count-on-index logic is
enabled.

Jon

Ignoramus24043 July 23rd 10 02:24 AM

On 2010-07-22, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus24043 wrote:

What happens is that if I approach home slowly, the home switch
triggers, but since the table stops instantly, it untriggers.

You may have oil in the switches. Now that you are using it, it may
clear up after a while. (or, it may get bad enough you will need to
eventually replace the switches. Watch during homing for it to ignore
the switch and just keep moving.)

I think that you got it.

The resistance that I measured, was kind of high for a closed
switch.

If the
table moves fast, it takes it some distance to stop (1mm?) and by that
time, the switch is fully actuated. Homing fast is what I want,
anyway.

The question I have is how fast should I be in my index-finding move
(latching move).

Although the latest incarnation of the PPMC does this all in hardware at
10 MHz speed, it seems prudent that you shouldn't be moving more than 1
encoder count per servo cycle, or typically 1000 counts/second. But, in
fact, it doesn't matter, as the encoder counter is zeroed in hardware
when the index pulse is detected and the zero-count-on-index logic is
enabled.

I have upped the speeds a little bit, and made all axes home at
once. Now the homing part is really quick. The last part of homing
involves getting the middle of the table approximately under the
quill, for convenience.

Gunner Asch[_6_] July 23rd 10 03:45 AM

Big triumph, HOME SWITCHES WORK AND MACHINE HOMES

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:24:20 -0500, Ignoramus24043

On 2010-07-22, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus24043 wrote:

[...]

Approximately??????

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Ignoramus7608 July 23rd 10 01:53 PM

On 2010-07-22, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus24043 wrote:

[...]

yes, I still have to figure out exact travel limits (I did it on Z
only). Once I do, the middle between them, would be the exact center.

Gunner Asch[_6_] July 23rd 10 02:13 PM

Big triumph, HOME SWITCHES WORK AND MACHINE HOMES

On 2010-07-22, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus24043 wrote:

[...]

Ah!...chuckle...G

Gunner