DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Light duty mag base that you put your own handdrill in. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/306391-light-duty-mag-base-you-put-your-own-handdrill.html)

tnik July 13th 10 12:50 PM

Light duty mag base that you put your own handdrill in.

I know I've seen them around before, but can't find one for the life of
me.. Anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks

Tom

Jim Wilkins July 13th 10 06:30 PM

On Jul 13, 7:50*am, tnik wrote:
I know I've seen them around before, but can't find one for the life of
me.. Anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks

Tom

I use a bench drill press clamped to the steel with 2x4s. I removed
the lip that holds the head at the top of the column, cut a clearance
hole in the belt guard and added an extra clamp bolt.

jsw

tnik July 13th 10 07:15 PM

On 7/13/2010 1:30 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jul 13, 7:50 am, wrote:
I know I've seen them around before, but can't find one for the life of
me.. Anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks

Tom

I use a bench drill press clamped to the steel with 2x4s. I removed
the lip that holds the head at the top of the column, cut a clearance
hole in the belt guard and added an extra clamp bolt.

jsw

yea, looking for something a lil bit easier.. Found this:

http://www.durabore.com/drillmate-po...ng-systems.htm

looks promising for what we need it for, tho gotta watch who uses it,
its made out of aluminum and plastic.. a couple strong arms to it and I
see it breaking..

whit3rd July 13th 10 08:11 PM

On Jul 13, 4:50*am, tnik wrote:
I know I've seen them around before, but can't find one for the life of
me.. Anyone know where I could find one?

Portalign was one brand name for a gizmo like you describe.
The usual sources (Sears, Harbor Freight) probably have 'em.
(yep, www.sears.com finds "Craftsman drill guide")

Jim Wilkins July 13th 10 11:21 PM

On Jul 13, 3:11*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Jul 13, 4:50*am, tnik wrote:

Portalign was one brand name for a gizmo like you describe.
The usual sources (Sears, Harbor Freight) probably have 'em.
(yep,www.sears.comfinds "Craftsman drill guide")

This thing.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00967173000P

I have the old non-angling one which works pretty well to drill 1/2"
holes in steel plate. I wouldn't want to stress it with a larger
drill. They are fussier to align than a mag-base drill and need to be
clamped down, but they are light enough to position on a vertical
surface with one hand, for instance to drill a wooden door.

It takes quite a powerful magnet to resist the quill handle leverage.

jsw

Wild_Bill July 14th 10 03:08 AM

Light duty mag base that you put your own handdrill in.

The Cole Drill isn't a mag base drill, but can be clamped with accessories
to drill in many different configurations.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?p=215404
(scroll down past rusty franken-cycle artwork/sculpture?)

--
WB

tnik July 14th 10 01:40 PM

On 7/13/2010 10:08 PM, Wild_Bill wrote:
The Cole Drill isn't a mag base drill, but can be clamped with
accessories to drill in many different configurations.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?p=215404
(scroll down past rusty franken-cycle artwork/sculpture?)

Hah! thats pretty cool.. if the price was right, I would pick one of
those up in a heartbeat

Thanks for the link