DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electroless nickle plating, and plugged holes... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/305951-electroless-nickle-plating-plugged-holes.html)

Jon Anderson July 5th 10 04:17 PM

Electroless nickle plating, and plugged holes...

Big time brain fart here, tap drilled some parts on the CNC, programmed
at the control. Typo put the holes a bit over .100 off location. An
incoming phone call interrupted my inspection and I missed the mistake.
Dang, when am I ever going to learn to ignore the damned phone when I'm
doing something important...

I tried last night, was able to plug two holes, redrill, and roll tap.
It looks good, the repair will never be seen. Before I call the customer
for approval, thought I'd ask about any potential issue with plating.
Parts are 6061-T6, and get electroless nickle plating.
Are there any potential issues with corrosion from chemicals seeping
into any minute gaps?

Biggest issue is time, parts are hot, Hot, HOT. If I can fix, can still
finish today and deliver tomorrow. If I have to start over, won't be
delivering until Friday...

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Anderson July 5th 10 05:06 PM

Electroless nickle plating, and plugged holes...

BTW, holes are blind. Plugging with approx .0005 interference fit pins,
heating parts enough I can get the pins started and driven home. Yeah,
gotta move fast on that one...

Jon