Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT what is this strange animal in our backyard

On Jun 22, 12:34*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Some people I know in south Jersey have rechambered their .22 bolt-action
rifles for shorts. In NJ we can't hunt with a .22, except for 'possum and
'coons, at night, with a .22 short (or that was the law 10 years ago, the
last time I looked).

Weird, huh? I shot those squirrels illegally over 30 years ago. I don't do
things like that anymore.

The people I hunted rac(c)oon with were Fish & Game officials, friends
of my father. Raccoons are nocturnal and the only practical way to
hunt them is with dogs, which chase them up a tree. Then you have to
shoot into the air with bullets that won't cause damage coming down.
They used mostly .410 shot, and .22 shorts if they could aim at the
silhouette.

I read an old study somewhere on the hazards of falling military
bullets that had been fired up at or from aircraft. At terminal
velocity .30 caliber was annoying but not a catastrophe. .50 caliber
was lethal.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:

The last time I trapped a raccoon in the shop and took him for a ride it
took him two busses and a taxi to get back three days later.

So you know it wasn't a liberal!

enough left over to pay them.

OT what is this strange animal in our backyard Jim Wilkins Metalworking 18 June 23rd 10 08:34 PM
OT - My Favorite Animal RAM³ Metalworking 8 June 5th 10 06:07 PM
Animal Farm Lucern Woodworking 1 December 6th 07 06:51 PM
Animal Control Trapper Ron Home Repair 0 April 18th 07 04:37 PM
Animal Control Trapper Ron Home Ownership 0 April 18th 07 04:27 PM