Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY Step Stool Plans?

I'm needing some aluminum welding practice, and I thought that making
a step stool would be a "nice to have around the shop" project.

Yeah, I know that I could just buy one.... but i've got many pieces of
3/8" thick plate, and at least one TIG welder around here.

Does anyone have an example of one, which they made, that they'd be
willing to share?

Thanks,
_kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:19:26 -0700 (PDT), karchiba
wrote:

I'm needing some aluminum welding practice, and I thought that making
a step stool would be a "nice to have around the shop" project.

Yeah, I know that I could just buy one.... but i've got many pieces of
3/8" thick plate, and at least one TIG welder around here.

Does anyone have an example of one, which they made, that they'd be
willing to share?

No plans, but a question. How big is your welder? 3/8 aluminum will
take quite a lot of current, 300 amps or more; beyond the practical
range of a small welder/torch. You can extend the capacity of your
welder by preheating large pieces. But I'd say 1/8" to 3/16" material
is a better choice for learning to TIG aluminum.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'm needing some aluminum welding practice, and I thought that making
a step stool would be a "nice to have around the shop" project.

Yeah, I know that I could just buy one.... but i've got many pieces of
3/8" thick plate, and at least one TIG welder around here.

Does anyone have an example of one, which they made, that they'd be
willing to share?

No plans, but a question. How big is your welder? 3/8 aluminum will
take quite a lot of current, 300 amps or more; beyond the practical
range of a small welder/torch. You can extend the capacity of your
welder by preheating large pieces. But I'd say 1/8" to 3/16" material
is a better choice for learning to TIG aluminum.

--
Ned Simmons

Ned,

You bring up a very good point. 3/8" plate takes quite a bit of heat,
and good amount of time to get to the proper heat.

I've got 4 Tig machines that vary between 200 amps and 450 amps.
Yeah, I've been a long time believer in the old addage: "Anything
worth doing, is worth over-doing"

This is not really a learning excercise, I'm just trying to keep old
skills sharp. Tig welding really takes fine motor skills, and my
muscle memory could use a refresher course.

Thanks,
_kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm needing some aluminum welding practice, and I thought that making
a step stool would be a "nice to have around the shop" project.

Yeah, I know that I could just buy one.... but i've got many pieces of
3/8" thick plate, and at least one TIG welder around here.

Does anyone have an example of one, which they made, that they'd be
willing to share?

No plans, but a question. How big is your welder? 3/8 aluminum will
take quite a lot of current, 300 amps or more; beyond the practical
range of a small welder/torch. You can extend the capacity of your
welder by preheating large pieces. But I'd say 1/8" to 3/16" material
is a better choice for learning to TIG aluminum.

--
Ned Simmons

Depending on the design, the frame and legs of the step stool could be made
of 1/8 wall tube and welded with ease. The plate could then be pop riveted
on as the steps. This would result in a strong and light design.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.