Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The innate perversity of inanimate objects

I have to go in the lake tomorrow. Water temp at the surface is
about 69 F. Kids happily swim in water like that all day, or until
they turn blue and their mothers yank them out. I do *NOT* like
being cold, not even a little bit. But I gotta do it. When I was 16
Sally Brown and I jumped into the Detroit River when there was still
ice on it, but it's been quite a while since I was 16.

I was fishing off the dock this evening, tossing a bobber with a
leech to the reeds since there was a very nice NW breeze to help carry
it out there if I cast high. After a bit I noticed that my slip
bobber wasn't erecting. I tend to notice when things aren't erecting
as expected. Reeled it in, found that the bobber stop on the line
had gone missing so the hook, bait and sinker were going to the
bottom. It happens. Hm, I rummaged in my shirt pocket. Sho' nuff,
there was a bit of dental floss in there. That'll make a fine bobber
stop, just wind it on the line like a needle knot or a snell, snug up
and trim. Got to the trim part, dug out my trusty Gentleman's Folder
pocket knife.

Part of the perverse nature of inanimate objects is that tools have a
strong affinity for lakes. Cosmic forces yanked the knife from my
hand to fall to the dock, and then conspired to make it bounce and
rotate in both roll and yaw so it could exactly fit between the deck
slats and get to the lake beneath. It'd take 1000 tries to get that
right at a carnival with a kewpie doll at stake, but with a lake
beneath the slats the outcome was as certain as sunset.

I really like that knife! They're not available any more. I want
mine back! It's a one-hand opener, very thin, very light, 3" ATS34
stainless blade heat-treated to Rc 59-60 that takes and holds a razor
edge.

Earlier today I'd used it to scrape corrosion from some battery
terminals. After that, four licks on a ceramic "steel" restored its
keen edge to where it'd cut thru a ripe tomato skin by its own
weight.

I don't know if ATS34 is magnetic or not but I'm inclined to doubt
it. Else I could use the big donut magnet on the end of a string --
except that the magnet is in the bed of the truck and I drove the
Camry this trip. So I gotta dunk my dainty self.

The good news is that I know right where it dropped, the water is
quite clear and it's a firm sand bottom, not loon**** like in some MN
lakes. Even if I can't see it, I should be able to feel it with my
toes. Fortunately, it was folded when it dropped.

Minnesota Mary, who thinks 40 is wet teeshirt weather, offered to do
the honors while very tactfully avoiding any use of the term
"candyass". It's tempting, but I'm the one that dropped it so I'm
the one that should fetch it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
[...]

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

Oh well, Mary it is!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/6/2010 9:52 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
I have to go in the lake tomorrow. Water temp at the surface is
about 69 F.

Project time!
Low tech underwater viewer.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39402

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

-snip-

Part of the perverse nature of inanimate objects is that tools have
strong affinity for lakes. Cosmic forces yanked the knife from my
hand to fall to the dock, and then conspired to make it bounce and
rotate in both roll and yaw so it could exactly fit between the
deck
slats and get to the lake beneath. It'd take 1000 tries to get
that
right at a carnival with a kewpie doll at stake, but with a lake
beneath the slats the outcome was as certain as sunset.

-snip-

good luck getting your knife back.
i had JUST visited this website before i saw your post, use of the
word "inanimate objects" in both. apologies, but i wanted to post the
link. some of 'em are funny, could be maybe a little perverse?
prolly no help though fishing your stainless knife back, sorry.

http://happychairishappy.com/

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I've recovered my favorite Zippo lighter 4 times from wet encounters in 20
years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The perversity of inanimate objects...
Now there is a topic.

I'm not going to try to list all the things that have gone overboard.
It would surly break my heart.
Tools, hats, radios, (did I mention tools?).

I hope you get it back, Don.
(Even if it's Mary who does the honors)

That would be reason to celebrate.

Bon Chance!

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 7, 12:52*am, Don Foreman wrote:

I don't know if ATS34 *is magnetic or not but I'm inclined to doubt
it. *Else I could use the big donut magnet on the end of a string --
except that the magnet is in the bed of the truck and I drove the
Camry this trip. *So I *gotta dunk my dainty self. *

I looked up ATS34 and it is as I suspected a variant of 440C. So I
would expect it to be magnetic.
Not that it helps if you do not have a magnet handy.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 7, 6:57*am, " wrote:
On Jun 7, 12:52*am, Don Foreman wrote:

I don't know if ATS34 *is magnetic or not but I'm inclined to doubt
it. *Else I could use the big donut magnet on the end of a string --
except that the magnet is in the bed of the truck and I drove the
Camry this trip. *So I *gotta dunk my dainty self. *

I looked up ATS34 and it is as I suspected a variant of 440C. *So I
would expect it to be magnetic.
Not that it helps if you do not have a magnet handy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

I keep a magnet on a cord in each vehicle, if a passenger asks it's to
pick up any interesting roadside scrap metal on the run. Really I was
experimenting with balky inductive traffic detectors at stoplights.
Maybe I can make the mileage-doubling magnet on the gas line do double
duty.

Remember the IPU Factor? The Innate Perversity of the Universe?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 04:59:25 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

The perversity of inanimate objects...
Now there is a topic.

I'm not going to try to list all the things that have gone overboard.
It would surly break my heart.
Tools, hats, radios, (did I mention tools?).

I hope you get it back, Don.
(Even if it's Mary who does the honors)

That would be reason to celebrate.

Bon Chance!

Richard

Ive lost 3 Seiko watches while sailing on one particular lake here. It
got to the point, I take off any watches Im wearing and leave em in the
truck, whenever Im sailing on that lake.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

This perversity is why I've taken to disassembling small things inside
a white pillow case. Especially handguns, took me forever once to
locate the muzzle nut from my Astra 300.

After I win the lottery, I'll have a white room with no nooks or
crannies for small parts to hide in.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 00:53:14 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote the following:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

So use a stainless magnet, silly.

Or use this as an excuse to purchase and/or build a floating backhoe.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor
the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

When I was 15 we went duck hunting from an old wooden rowboat on a beaver
pond here in Northern Minnesota on a brisk 35 degree day. a couple of
mallards flew from left to right and I shot one. Another duck flew by the
opposite way and while trying to shoot the duck, my brand new Mossberg 500
flew out of my hands and into the drink. There it was, cocked with the
safety off in five and a half feet of cooooold water. I jumped overboard
after stripping my work boots off and gingerly felt around with my stocking
feet for my prized shotgun. I was able to raise it from the loon **** on the
bottom and we hightailed it for home.

Don, your knife should be a piece of cake to rescue.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 06:42:55 -0500, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

This perversity is why I've taken to disassembling small things inside
a white pillow case. Especially handguns, took me forever once to
locate the muzzle nut from my Astra 300.

After I win the lottery, I'll have a white room with no nooks or
crannies for small parts to hide in.

David

Be careful of what you wish for. That room is usually complete with a
straightjacket. Though to be fair..most are now painted pink, helps
keep the violent ones calm.....

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 6, 11:52*pm, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Hire one of the kids. Lots of kids love playing in the mud and
hunting for things.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

You know how water diffracts the image of an object under it's surface,
right? Well it also tends to shift the location of an object that sank
right below you to a location that can't be guessed, and is usually many
orders of distance further then you thought, specially cold water...

cheers
T.Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"T.Alan Kraus" fired this volley in news:4c0d2256$0
:

sank
right below you to a location that can't be guessed

CAN be guessed. If you're looking straight down, it's straight down. If
you're looking at it on an angle, it's closer to you than it appears.

How much depends upon the angle and how deep the water is.

(Bow fishing 101).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

This perversity is why I've taken to disassembling small things inside
a white pillow case. Especially handguns, took me forever once to
locate the muzzle nut from my Astra 300.

After I win the lottery, I'll have a white room with no nooks or
crannies for small parts to hide in.

Maybe you can borrow Cliff's rubber room?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote the following:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

So use a stainless magnet, silly.

Or use this as an excuse to purchase and/or build a floating backhoe.

I think he wants to take up SCUBA diving. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 6, 10:52*pm, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

It'll be ferritic(magnetic), couldn't hold an edge otherwise. Don't
know where the myth started that ALL stainless was non-magnetic, think
it was some junkyard guy separating nickle- and chrome-plated steel
from all-stainless car trim with his little magnet-ona-keychain.
There ARE more exotic non-iron alloys that will hold an edge and are
non-magnetic, you won't find most knifemakers using them, though.
Don't commonly fall into the "stainless steel" category, either.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:51:51 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"T.Alan Kraus" fired this volley in news:4c0d2256$0
:

sank
right below you to a location that can't be guessed

CAN be guessed. If you're looking straight down, it's straight down. If
you're looking at it on an angle, it's closer to you than it appears.

How much depends upon the angle and how deep the water is.

(Bow fishing 101).

LLoyd

I think he was thinking of the quantum tunneling effect of dropped
objects, a corollary of the subject line.

By the way, I had a similar incident on Saturday. Finished cleaning
the boat, flushed the motor with the flush kit and custom adapter I
machined (posted in the dropbox) plus handle, unscrewed hose and
tossed assembly on dock. It promptly acted like it was on ice skates
and shot into the drink on the opposite side. The water ain't cold,
but it's salt, full of barnacles and god knows what else, and murky as
hell. The boat is coming out of the marina now that I'm back in
Texas, so I won't need said rig again. Flush kits are cheap. There
it stays.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:

After I win the lottery, I'll have a white room with no nooks or
crannies for small parts to hide in.

Maybe you can borrow Cliff's rubber room?

Nah, it would take too long to wash out the smell of incontinence.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A strong magnet wouldn't necessarily be a waste of time. Many pocket knives
with folding blades have a spring steel portion between the side
plates/liners that holds the blade closed when folded.

You may need a small bucket to carry away all the other steel items that may
be laying right there below the dock.

Most or all of the stainless steel knife blades that I've checked have been
magnetic, some are 440 alloy, others are unmarked.

--
WB

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 23:52:40 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Minnesota Mary, who thinks 40 is wet teeshirt weather, offered to do
the honors while very tactfully avoiding any use of the term
"candyass". It's tempting, but I'm the one that dropped it so I'm
the one that should fetch it.

Youch, this one?

http://artknives.com/W__D__Pease_Kni...se_knives.html

That's a very nice knife.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

The good news is that I know right where it dropped, the water is
quite clear and it's a firm sand bottom, not loon**** like in some MN
lakes. Even if I can't see it, I should be able to feel it with my
toes. Fortunately, it was folded when it dropped.

I know refraction will be a bit of an issue but can you stick a mirror under water to see
well enough to go after it with some sort of improvised tool to get under it?

Minnesota Mary, who thinks 40 is wet teeshirt weather, offered to do
the honors while very tactfully avoiding any use of the term
"candyass". It's tempting, but I'm the one that dropped it so I'm
the one that should fetch it.

Even if she didn't have heart work recently, you don't want her to have that one to tease
you about.

I got it, know any kids that will do it for 10 - 20 bucks? Just make sure she isn't
around to see it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:

After I win the lottery, I'll have a white room with no nooks or
crannies for small parts to hide in.

Maybe you can borrow Cliff's rubber room?

Nah, it would take too long to wash out the smell of incontinence.

That would take care of Cliff, but what about the room?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote the following:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

So use a stainless magnet, silly.

Or use this as an excuse to purchase and/or build a floating backhoe.

* *I think he wants to take up SCUBA diving. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.- Hide quoted text -

Mack the Knife?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
I have to go in the lake tomorrow. Water temp at the surface is
about 69 F. Kids happily swim in water like that all day, or until
they turn blue and their mothers yank them out. I do *NOT* like
being cold, not even a little bit. But I gotta do it. When I was 16
Sally Brown and I jumped into the Detroit River when there was still
ice on it, but it's been quite a while since I was 16.

Isn't there a song or poem about a Sally Brown? G

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2010 11:09 AM, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:51:51 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"T.Alan fired this volley in news:4c0d2256$0
:

sank
right below you to a location that can't be guessed

CAN be guessed. If you're looking straight down, it's straight down. If
you're looking at it on an angle, it's closer to you than it appears.

How much depends upon the angle and how deep the water is.

(Bow fishing 101).

LLoyd

I think he was thinking of the quantum tunneling effect of dropped
objects, a corollary of the subject line.

quite so!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice. We used a coffee can with Plexiglas end and a stick bolted to the side
of the can.

Stick was such that you could walk along the reef and hold it in the water
and just view - and working your hand down you can get closer and closer.

That looked nice and well thought out.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/7/2010 1:52 AM, Winston wrote:
On 6/6/2010 9:52 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
I have to go in the lake tomorrow. Water temp at the surface is
about 69 F.

Project time!
Low tech underwater viewer.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39402

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/06/2010 11:52 PM, Don Foreman wrote:

Minnesota Mary, who thinks 40 is wet teeshirt weather, offered to do
the honors while very tactfully avoiding any use of the term
"candyass". It's tempting, but I'm the one that dropped it so I'm
the one that should fetch it.

Sound like an opportunity to build a set of waldos that will clamp on
the side of the dock. Then you can get your knife and stay dry.

Waldos

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/waldo

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_manipulator

technomaNge
--
(After polite discussion of a personal situation)
"Now, can we get back to ****ing each other off?"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote the following:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

So use a stainless magnet, silly.

Or use this as an excuse to purchase and/or build a floating backhoe.

I think he wants to take up SCUBA diving. ;-)

Mack the Knife?

I haven't heard that in at least 30 years.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote the following:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:09:42 +0800, "kelly" wrote:

(fridge) magnet on a stick?

Doubt it, since it's made of stainless steel.

So use a stainless magnet, silly.

Or use this as an excuse to purchase and/or build a floating backhoe.

* *I think he wants to take up SCUBA diving. ;-)

Mack the Knife?

* *I haven't heard that in at least 30 years.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.- Hide quoted text -

It always sticks in my head for a while after I hear it. Louis
Armstrong:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgYgl...eature=related
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:
After I win the lottery, I'll have a white room with no nooks or
crannies for small parts to hide in.

Maybe you can borrow Cliff's rubber room?

Nah, it would take too long to wash out the smell of incontinence.

That would take care of Cliff, but what about the room?

Well, if the rubber is white...and rubber would keep the spring loaded
parts from bouncing around too much or being dinged.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-08, Steve Walker wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
I have to go in the lake tomorrow. Water temp at the surface is
about 69 F. Kids happily swim in water like that all day, or until
they turn blue and their mothers yank them out. I do *NOT* like
being cold, not even a little bit. But I gotta do it. When I was 16
Sally Brown and I jumped into the Detroit River when there was still
ice on it, but it's been quite a while since I was 16.

Isn't there a song or poem about a Sally Brown? G

Yes -- a traditional sailing Chantey -- which means that you
will find lots of variations of the words.

Here is one example which is similar to the ones which I am
accustomed to:

http://ingeb.org/songs/osallybr.html

Apparently there was a group called "The Libertines" which have
a slightly PC-ized version of it which was what I first hit on my Google
search.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:
After I win the lottery, I'll have a white room with no nooks or
crannies for small parts to hide in.

Maybe you can borrow Cliff's rubber room?
Nah, it would take too long to wash out the smell of incontinence.

That would take care of Cliff, but what about the room?

Well, if the rubber is white...and rubber would keep the spring loaded
parts from bouncing around too much or being dinged.

If the rubber walls aren't worn out from Cliff trying to achieve
escape velocity?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:46:11 -0700, "T.Alan Kraus"
wrote:

You know how water diffracts the image of an object under it's surface,
right? Well it also tends to shift the location of an object that sank
right below you to a location that can't be guessed, and is usually many
orders of distance further then you thought, specially cold water...

cheers
T.Alan

Used to shoot carp with a bow from a boat eons ago. Aim at fish,
miss every time. I got so I rarely missed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Minnesota Mary, who thinks 40 is wet teeshirt weather, offered to do
the honors while very tactfully avoiding any use of the term
"candyass". It's tempting, but I'm the one that dropped it so I'm
the one that should fetch it.

Youch, this one?

http://artknives.com/W__D__Pease_Kni...se_knives.html

That's a very nice knife.

Nothing so fancy, Spehro. It came from A.G. Russell, was in the
neighborhood of $60. It is a lockback folder easily and quickly opened
one-handed. Thin and lightweight, suitable for dress occasions but a
very servicable blade nonetheless.

turning objects godwin Woodturning 6 September 1st 08 12:53 AM
Falling objects Robert Allison Home Repair 11 June 3rd 07 09:29 PM
Inanimate Objects Aren't (Hand Tools Psychology) charlieb Woodworking 12 April 11th 07 05:30 AM
Dogs with habits of pissing on inanimate objects [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 9th 06 04:04 PM
Odd objects to spread glue with David Woodworking 8 March 30th 06 09:57 AM