Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default air arc welding

I got a nasty little job. The joker that had the backhoe before me tried to
repair the loose pin by just reaching down inside and welding on the pin. He
did a real ****ty job and just made it damn near impossible to repair right.
(BTW, I unbolted the top pin on the same side today, it fell in two pieces,
the pin had stress fractured all the way through. I don't know why the hoe
hadn't already fell off the tractor)

Anyway, I need to cut a 1.5 inch pin in two reaching down inside the hoe
assembly along a crack about 3/4" inch wide. There's not room for the torch.
So, I was talking to "the kid" about how to do this and he reminded me I had
bought an air arc rod holder and air arc rod at an auction years ago.

Anyway, I found a rod holder that also plugs into an airline and blows an
air jet down along side the rod. I also found a few rods labeled "Accate
Jetrod" . its brass color tube about 1/2" diameter O.D. by 3/8" diameter
I.D. with a black filler material. And half a box of solid brass color rod
labeled "Arcair Copperclad". Both rods are very light - I suspect made of
carbon.

There. that's all I know about air arc cutting. can anybody fill me in on
how to use this to cut my pin? I have an Idealarc 300/300 AC/DC/TIG welder.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
snip
I don't know why the hoe hadn't already fell off the tractor.

I thought you said she could operate it well?

(sorry, I HAD to say it before somebody else did.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I used to use an AirArc quite a bit but I don't remember ever reaching
inside a crack to cut something. The whole rod is conductive and it seems it
would be difficult to keep it from arcing on the sides of the gap you are
working through. They are great for gouging welds though.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Up North wrote:

[...]

The cutting rods they use underwater are insulated with tape the whole
length, and I believe they work fine above water with the only caveat
being that you can't put them out so the whole rod will burn. They feed
O2 down the center, not air.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I used to use an AirArc quite a bit but I don't remember ever reaching
inside a crack to cut something. The whole rod is conductive and it seems
it would be difficult to keep it from arcing on the sides of the gap you
are working through. They are great for gouging welds though.
Steve

Good point, i'll have to lay a sheet of something non conductive on one
side. From google it looks like I go DC straight, hi amps as I can, and
undercut gouge to blow molten material away. Any other tips?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I used to use an AirArc quite a bit but I don't remember ever reaching
inside a crack to cut something. The whole rod is conductive and it seems
it would be difficult to keep it from arcing on the sides of the gap you
are working through. They are great for gouging welds though.
Steve

Good point, i'll have to lay a sheet of something non conductive on one
side. From google it looks like I go DC straight, hi amps as I can, and
undercut gouge to blow molten material away. Any other tips?

Karl

Have a good fire extinguisher handy and watch out for your hydraulic lines.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I used to use an AirArc quite a bit but I don't remember ever reaching
inside a crack to cut something. The whole rod is conductive and it seems
it would be difficult to keep it from arcing on the sides of the gap you
are working through. They are great for gouging welds though.
Steve

Good point, i'll have to lay a sheet of something non conductive on one
side. From google it looks like I go DC straight, hi amps as I can, and
undercut gouge to blow molten material away. Any other tips?

Karl

Wrap the rod in electrical tape to insulate it from arcing to the sides.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.weldguru.com/CAC.html

http://www.tpub.com/content/construc.../14250_163.htm

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 05:57:09 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

http://www.weldguru.com/CAC.html

http://www.tpub.com/content/construc.../14250_163.htm

Gunner,

thanks for the great tutorial.

karl

Ive got an Arcair K3000 torch and some 'trodes. Ive only used it
twice..but nothing else would do the job.

Sorta fun and sorta scary the first couple times G

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ive got an Arcair K3000 torch and some 'trodes. Ive only used it
twice..but nothing else would do the job.

Sorta fun and sorta scary the first couple times G

It sure did the job for me. Melts and blows metal out WAY faster than the
torch. I'm pretty messy with it, not a clean cut like the torch. Experience
may solve that. But I've owned the unit over ten years and forgot about it.
May never need it again.

On another note, I hit my honey with a sledgehammer today. She was holding a
1-1/2 inch pin so I could hit it with the BIG sledgehammer. it got cocky and
a blow slid off hitting the vice grip she was holding. Amazing - the lady is
still talking to me. But it may be a while till I get help with a metal
project again.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 01:29:23 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA
wrote:

Mate, is this thing a tool , designed to earn its keep, or a project?

All machine tools, from bandsaws to backhoes come into the category of "toys"

:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Mate, is this thing a tool , designed to earn its keep, or a project?

All machine tools, from bandsaws to backhoes come into the category of "toys"

:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

I readily concede your point re toys Mark (we wouldnt do this
otherwise) - but its important to distinguish that which puts bread on
the table and something thats interesting to tinker with.
Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tawm sez:
"I don't know why the hoe hadn't already fell off the tractor.

I thought you said she could operate it well?"

Tawm,

You bagged me with that one !

Bob (busted a gut) Swinney

welding leedsbob UK diy 3 November 2nd 07 11:28 PM
TIG welding 304 to 316 Boris Mohar Metalworking 6 May 15th 06 02:32 AM
Need a little welding ... diyguy Metalworking 1 November 21st 05 05:10 AM
welding Q brassbend Metalworking 10 November 3rd 05 02:49 PM
Welding Aluminum (WAS: Welding Magnesium) tony Metalworking 5 November 7th 03 01:21 AM