DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A letter from Ted Nugent (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/303935-re-letter-ted-nugent.html)

Sunworshipper[_3_] May 31st 10 03:39 AM

A letter from Ted Nugent

On Sun, 30 May 2010 19:00:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On May 30, 5:49*pm, rangerssuck wrote:

I have an idea. You & I are about the same age. You keep guns in your
house, and I won't. Let's see who lives longer.

Read Freakonomics by Stewen Levitt and Stephan Dubner. It has actual
statistics on deaths by guns and deaths by swimming pools.

Dan

Really, what is the jest? I use to do pools, came close to death a
number of times in them. No water though, heat stroke.

SW

Ed Huntress May 31st 10 03:57 AM

A letter from Ted Nugent

wrote:

On May 30, 5:49 pm, rangerssuck wrote:

I have an idea. You & I are about the same age. You keep guns in your
house, and I won't. Let's see who lives longer.

Read Freakonomics by Stewen Levitt and Stephan Dubner. It has actual
statistics on deaths by guns and deaths by swimming pools.

Dan

Really, what is the jest? I use to do pools, came close to death a
number of times in them. No water though, heat stroke.

SW

Dan is referring to a very curious statistic that Levitt came up with years
ago -- arguably, it's the report that made him famous -- that if one owns a
gun and a swimming pool, and has children, his children are roughly 100
times more likely to die by drowning in the pool than from being shot by the
gun.

If you pick apart his statistics, you see that he went for the most dramatic
fact that can be drawn from them. Nevertheless, swimming pools are dangerous
to young kids, in that parents only need to be inattentive for a few moments
for the kid to slip out of sight. In most households, the kids never get
their hands on the gun at young ages but they're in the pool on most nice
days.

As a former lifeguard, the statistic doesn't surprise me. I've had to pull
several kids out of the pool while their mothers were playing bridge or
jawing with the other country-club ladies. It's good for over-a-beer
conversations. It has shock value. Just be aware of the relative incidences
of contact before jumping to conclusions about it.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 31st 10 05:23 AM

A letter from Ted Nugent

wrote:

On May 30, 5:49*pm, rangerssuck wrote:

I have an idea. You & I are about the same age. You keep guns in your
house, and I won't. Let's see who lives longer.

Read Freakonomics by Stewen Levitt and Stephan Dubner. It has actual
statistics on deaths by guns and deaths by swimming pools.

Dan

Really, what is the jest? I use to do pools, came close to death a
number of times in them. No water though, heat stroke.

SW

Actually...people drown in swimming pools far far more than die by
gunshot accidents. Several times more.

in fact..it appears to be 20x more

http://volokh.com/posts/1205343824.shtml

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Sunworshipper[_3_] May 31st 10 05:27 AM

A letter from Ted Nugent

On Sun, 30 May 2010 22:57:34 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

100 times eh? Just by guessing I'd say at least 2:1 for the pool. And
that's just the kids under 5 who get next to one by themselves.

SW

[email protected] May 31st 10 01:05 PM

A letter from Ted Nugent

On May 30, 10:57*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

If you pick apart his statistics, you see that he went for the most dramatic
fact that can be drawn from them. Nevertheless, swimming pools are dangerous
to young kids, in that parents only need to be inattentive for a few moments
for the kid to slip out of sight. In most households, the kids never get
their hands on the gun at young ages but they're in the pool on most nice
days.

Ed Huntress

Right. The actual numbers they came up with are about 6 million
pools in the U.S. and about 550 children under the age of ten drown
each year.

About 200 million guns and about 175 children under the age of ten
die each year from guns.

Where his statistics get a bit questionable is that most families have
only one pool, but most families with guns have more than one gun. But
even so you would think that with over three times as many deaths by
drowning, there would be a big hue and cry by Congress to ban pools.
( After banning cars and cigarettes, of course ).

Dan

Michael A. Terrell May 31st 10 02:05 PM

A letter from Ted Nugent

" wrote:

[...]

Then they should ban all politicans, since their mistakes kill even
more people.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Ed Huntress May 31st 10 03:39 PM

A letter from Ted Nugent

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

If you read Dan's follow-up post, you'll see what the actual totals are.
Your estimate is close.

--
Ed Huntress