Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Update on the CNC -- decided to retrofit instead of fix

I have made up my mind. I will not try to fix the existing control. I
will buy a control box from Jon Elson and will use EMC/Linux. I am
really looking forward to that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6711 wrote:

I have made up my mind. I will not try to fix the existing control. I
will buy a control box from Jon Elson and will use EMC/Linux. I am
really looking forward to that.

I am still in the thinking about it and hoping to do it stage, likely a bench top mill not
yet purchased, but having repaired a lot of old cnc equipment at work, I believe you are
making the best choice. There is a point where the control kills you when you have a
failure. Our oldest cnc's now sit in a corner so we can mine a few of them to keep the
other ones alive for a while. The plant manager wanted to sell them but we convinced him
we could save more by mining them for repair parts.

I am looking forward to the progress reports! With your math and programing skills you
might even become a contributor to the emc2 project.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-29, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus6711 wrote:

I have made up my mind. I will not try to fix the existing control. I
will buy a control box from Jon Elson and will use EMC/Linux. I am
really looking forward to that.

I am still in the thinking about it and hoping to do it stage, likely a bench top mill not
yet purchased, but having repaired a lot of old cnc equipment at work, I believe you are
making the best choice. There is a point where the control kills you when you have a
failure. Our oldest cnc's now sit in a corner so we can mine a few of them to keep the
other ones alive for a while. The plant manager wanted to sell them but we convinced him
we could save more by mining them for repair parts.

I am looking forward to the progress reports! With your math and programing skills you
might even become a contributor to the emc2 project.

We'll see how it goes. I do have a few open source things that I wrote
and made available. I agree, that old control stuff is a money pit,
and even when working, it is still an old control.