Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free Bandsaw !

A friend of my friend Bill the Machinist had three (yup , three!) trees
fall on his shop . He had to crawl out of the mess on his belly ... Bill
called me the other day to see if I could help clean out the shop so it can
be rebuilt , and yesterday when I finished up Larry gave me a bandsaw ... he
had it setting outside , said it was too small for what he's doing . I'm not
sure if it's a 4X6 or what , but it still works , and cuts a nice straight
line . The bed and pivoting frame are both cast iron , the legs are sheet .
It has nice roller bearings for guides (and the guides are adjustable in 3
directions) and they're rolling freely . The only nameplate I can see is on
the motor , but the print is all gone . Has a TEFC motor , three step
pulleys , and it turns itself off when the cut is finished .
One of the two good things that happened to me today . The other was
accepting a check that more than covers our losses from the flood on May 1st
.. Everything else was a lot less pleasant .
--
Snag
BTW , Larry is the guy with

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Hey! Are you hornin' in on MY bandsaw gloat? I had to pay, you win!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't know it was a contest ... but neener neener !

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey! Are you hornin' in on MY bandsaw gloat? I had to pay, you win!

I didn't know it was a contest ... but neener neener !

Ya-but, Tom said "my Johnson" is bigger.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bandsaw is innocent!

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!

--
Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have
to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

I got a good chuckle out of it !

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/28/2010 06:41 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

Y'know, this was an average 'whoa' post until you got to "he had to
crawl out on his belly" -- then it turned into a "WHOA!!!" post.

I can't remember where you're located -- is it even vaguely close to the
Oregon/Washington border?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!

--
Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have
to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

I got a good chuckle out of it !

It was a 'Benny Hill' flashback.

A sign on a wall said 'Bill stickers will be prosecuted!' Under that
someone wrote, 'Bill Stickers is innocent!' ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Nope , we're in Memphis Tn. We've had a LOT of rain this spring , the
ground has been saturated and when a big wind comes , trees fall down .
Larry said that if he'd been standing he probably wouldn't have survived
this one . I got there after Bill had started the cleanup , but I think
Larry's right . The only reason the roof didn't fall all the way to land on
the machines is the vertical steel channel he has on the back of the lathe
as a drop for power cords. As it is , that steel is supporting what's left
of the roof over that area. All three cross braces were ripped from the top
plate , the south wall is about 12-14" out of plumb and siding is ripped off
from the bow in the wall .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:30:26 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Long time Lady Love of my life lives in Nashville. Says the rains
brought her lots of customers (ER nurse at hospital in Nashville)

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/29/2010 11:30 AM, Snag wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

He's either one lucky dude for surviving, or one unlucky dude for having
it happen. Were it me I'd be staying up late trying to decide which!

I was trying to think if I wanted to trade one of my car projects for a
machine tool -- then I realized that the kids would kill me if I gave up
the Suburban, and no sane person would want a half-done Vega engine swap
project.

Besides, I want to keep both (which, in the case of the Vega, gives you
an idea about my sanity!).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

He's either one lucky dude for surviving, or one unlucky dude for
having it happen. Were it me I'd be staying up late trying to decide
which!
I was trying to think if I wanted to trade one of my car projects for
a machine tool -- then I realized that the kids would kill me if I
gave up the Suburban, and no sane person would want a half-done Vega
engine swap project.

Besides, I want to keep both (which, in the case of the Vega, gives
you an idea about my sanity!).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

I think he just got "lucky" , as these things go . Had those trees dropped
about 10* counterclockwise , the whole place would have been a pancake . One
of those trees was an oak that was over 30" thru the trunk . The other two
were oaks 15-18" .
And from what I hear , those Vega's make a screamin' sleeper ... depending
on what motor you're shoehorning in there . I've seen underhood wheel wells
trimmed , firewalls moved , tubs in back , all kinds of insanity . Of course
thay weren't using the stock drivetrain either ...
--
Snag
Surprise !! This ain't your

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/29/2010 03:54 PM, Snag wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

My dad's opinion was that a stock Vega chassis could handle up to 200
horsepower with some tuning but without a rip out and replace.

My opinion was that a 3.4 liter 60 degree V-6 from GM Performance parts
with an Edlebrock manifold and headers would get about 200 horsepower,
which is about what you'd get from an un-modified 283 or 305 V-8, for
less weight and easier access to the spark plugs.

And it's an easy fit.

Except the project just keeps getting put on the back burner. I don't
even know if you can still get the engine -- I should check.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com