Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Best way to store/hold/rack TIG wire?

On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:57:54 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Ive got about 300 lbs of TIG welding wires of all types. Stainless,
phos/bronze, sil/bronze, mild steel etc etc. Probably 12 different
types/sizes. Much of it came came in 2" PVC open topped tubes made up
by the company I got it from , a fair amount of it is in 1 1/4 PVC screw
top tubes made up by me.

Anyone got any neat racking ideas for my shop?

Im getting tired of both sorting through the tubes for what Im needing
at the moment and having them piled up and getting dusty and whatnot.

Any suggestions, pictures etc etc would be marvelous.

Gunner

In the welding shop at work, the TIG stock is kept in a rack made up
of sections of ~ 1.5" diameter pipe welded to a bottom plate. The
setup is a row of about 8 pipes, sitting on the floor. (We only need
that many different types/sizes.) It sorta looks like a good way to
launch a volley of mortar-type fireworks. The pipe is about 4" shorter
than the rod. The info is written on the sides of the pipes. Ours are
Al pipe, but I suppose steel would be OK, especially in the steenkin'
desert.

Joe