Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 phase

TWT would do it or a pyramid. I have a few K's in my shop -
I destroyed all of the magnetrons I got. The mechanical parts
are secret. So they were shredded. They were also a little hot.
My students were design engineers who had access to scrap stuff
at the aircraft plants. That was a few years ago - all of the 70's.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Ignoramus26467 wrote:

big enough to build a nuclear bomb trigger.

Wrong kind of tube. You need a Krytron, which is a controlled
device. You are not allowed to export them. They were made by EG&G A
Thyratron is much too slow to do the job.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mine - glass shell - metal base. The plate connection was on top and
in metal naturally. 4 pins - two for filaments and two for the cathode.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Fri, 28 May 2010 03:37:46 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I've used tubes with dual, 1.5 VAC, 1000A filaments. The two
filaments had to be balanced to less than 1/100 volt difference to
prevent hum in the audio& video outputs.

GACK!!!!!

Good lord...one could cook a 5 course meal over those.

Metal or glass shell?

All metal shell with high voltage, high temperature ceramic and glass
insulation around the terminals. They were the custom designed 25 KW
water cooled UHF power tetrodes video output tubes for the TTU-25B.
That was RCA's first 'High power' UHF TV transmitter. A similar 12.5 KW
tube was used for the Aural section of that transmitter. It was designed
& built in the early '50s. That's 37.5 KW of waste heat that required a
water chiller large enough to cool a decent sized office complex.

The three plate transformers were huge, too. It was all I could do to
move them with a heavy duty appliance hand truck. Then there was the 30
KV armored HV cable that ran from each transformer to the Thyratron
cabinet. That transmitter filled nine, four foot square aluminum
cabinets. It took three trips with a 28 foot U-haul truck to move all
that weight. I had to use an oxyacetylene torch to solder the four inch
copper pipes for the cooling system. It took 400 A 480 V three phase
just to power the transmitter. Then there was the control room, and the
studio lighting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Someone wrote:

"Wrong kind of tube. You need a Krytron, which is a controlled
device. You are not allowed to export them. They were made by EG&G A
Thyratron is much too slow to do the job."

Krytron (sp) ?

Are you sure we're not talking about "Klystrons" ? In the early days of Radar, klystrons were used
as LOs in radar sets. As I understand it, the power capability of klystrons has grown to the
extent they have pretty much replaced the magnetron in modern Radar.

EG&G, among other things, was the instrumentation contractor at the Mercury, NV underground testing
facility.

Bob (CMIIW) Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 30, 10:55*am, "Robert Swinney" wrote:

Krytron (sp) ?

Bob (CMIIW) Swinney

That is the right spelling. Another similar device is the Sprytron.
Both are used in Exploding Bridgewire ( EBW ) systems.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Robert Swinney wrote:

Someone wrote:

"Wrong kind of tube. You need a Krytron, which is a controlled
device. You are not allowed to export them. They were made by EG&G A
Thyratron is much too slow to do the job."

Krytron (sp) ?

Are you sure we're not talking about "Klystrons" ? In the early days of Radar, klystrons were used
as LOs in radar sets. As I understand it, the power capability of klystrons has grown to the
extent they have pretty much replaced the magnetron in modern Radar.

EG&G, among other things, was the instrumentation contractor at the Mercury, NV underground testing
facility.

Ask on news:sci.electronics.design if you don't believe me. A
Krytron is an ultra fast electronic switch that allows a very high
current to be switched. It is used as a trigger. There isn't a lot of
published data, since it was designed for a specific use.

A Klystron is used as an oscillator or amplifier.

I've worked with 65 KW Klystrons. Big, heavy and use lots of
distilled water in the cooling systems.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-30, Robert Swinney wrote:
Someone wrote:

"Wrong kind of tube. You need a Krytron, which is a controlled
device. You are not allowed to export them. They were made by EG&G A
Thyratron is much too slow to do the job."

Krytron (sp) ?

Are you sure we're not talking about "Klystrons" ?

*I'm* sure at least. While I was working for an Army R&D lab, I
had to fix a pulsed laser which used one to drive the trigger coil on
the flashlamp. The Krytron was about the size of a small acorn, with
all the leads coming out a recess in one end (at least one with a
silicone rubber insulation on the wire). It also had a radiation hazard
symbol on it, because it got its speed from already being partially
ionized by the radiation.

O.K. Here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krytron

except that the photo is from before the radiation sticker was applied,
and it is missing the silicone rubber insulation on one of the wires.

At the time, I just knew that they were controlled items, and
not why. I later (during the export furor) discovered that use for
them. (Of course, I never had the other components needed to make the
device, so it did not matter. :-)

In the early days of
Radar, klystrons were used as LOs in radar sets. As I understand it,
the power capability of klystrons has grown to the extent they have
pretty much replaced the magnetron in modern Radar.

But a very different thing.

EG&G, among other things, was the instrumentation contractor at the
Mercury, NV underground testing facility.

EG&G (formed by Dr. Edgerton, with Germshausen & Greer The
source of the firm name) also made (and started with) Xenon flash lamps,
and made at least one setup large enough to take a flash photo of the
city of Boston from the air. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564