Old May 30th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On Sat, 29 May 2010 17:35:18 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I got my corncob from the pet store for $6/ 1.8 kg. Enough to fill the
bowl
and have a lot left over. I run some brass in it but it has limitations.
Right now I have a batch going in rouge-treated walnut shells. Somebody
mentioned adding Brasso - I wonder how much per batch.

Try a tablespoon full. It spreads rather well and is simply a media
compound that is carried by your media.

Thanks. What do you do when you finish? Do you re-use the same media?

But of course. Brasso wont hurt anything and it adds a bit of polishing
action to whatever you put in there. More for the softer stuff, less
for the harder stuff.

I tend to reuse walnut hulls for many years. Its not so much the sharp
corners..which after a while..are gone..but its a great carrier for
Brasso, etc. even when rounded off. Brasso is nothing more than a very
fine media in a liquid carrier.

As I said I tried a silica crystals cat litter on some steel parts. The
results were surprisingly good but if run dry, the silica dust is awful
and
if wet, clumping occurs (duh, it's cat litter!)

I want the ceramics for steel parts and also plastics for de-burring
brass -
I am not sure the nut shells will do that job well.

Yes..they do a pretty fair job, though for steel, it takes a while. Soft
non ferris stuff goes pretty quick

So far I am more impressed with the nut shells than with the corn cob. As
far as I can see the corn cob will polish clean brass but will not remove
stains. The treated nut shells removed most but not all the stains, did a
great job polishing the pieces (up to 3") but did little or no deburring
(minor scratches still apparent after about 8 hours).

Ayup. It has little or no ability to remove burrs in anything hard. Add
a bit more Brasso..another table spoon and it will likely remove the
last bit of stains..which generally are etched into the material..just a
heads up. Might not be deep..but walnut hulls have little ability to
actually remove much metal.

The next batch I shall put some steel in the nut shells. What compound do
you use for steel? There is a ton of proprietary compounds out there. I hear
some people just put in a bit of turtle wax. I run the silica with just
water and dish- washing liquid with the predictable result of good cleaning
but flash rusting. I wonder if dumping in a bit of Evaporust would work.

Are you trying to deburr, destain or what? Walnut hulls are really not
much good for anything as hard as steel, other than for putting a nice
almost matt finish on it. Ceramics are what you need for steel.

What are you trying to do with the steel? Let us know and Im sure you
will have a lot of suggestions..some even good.

VBG

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Old May 30th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-30, Michael Koblic wrote:

So far I am more impressed with the nut shells than with the corn cob. As
far as I can see the corn cob will polish clean brass but will not remove
stains. The treated nut shells removed most but not all the stains, did a
great job polishing the pieces (up to 3") but did little or no deburring
(minor scratches still apparent after about 8 hours).

Well, after appx. 3-4 hours of polishing, corn cob media did remove
stains from old coins (whole layer of oxidation). It did work very
well, just slowly.

The next batch I shall put some steel in the nut shells. What compound do
you use for steel? There is a ton of proprietary compounds out there. I hear
some people just put in a bit of turtle wax. I run the silica with just
water and dish- washing liquid with the predictable result of good cleaning
but flash rusting. I wonder if dumping in a bit of Evaporust would work.

What kind of Brasso are you guys talking about?

Old May 30th 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

Old May 30th 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-30, Michael Koblic wrote:

[...]

OK, more exactly, do you use liquid brasso or some kind of powder? I
have the liquid brasso at home.

Old May 30th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-30, Michael Koblic wrote:

[...]

The liquid. Simply fill up a tablespoon with the stuff..maybe two..and
dump it into the media if its walnut hulls, corn cobs etc etc.

Works great, less filling!

Gunner

Old May 30th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
What kind of Brasso are you guys talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

OK, more exactly, do you use liquid brasso or some kind of powder? I
have the liquid brasso at home.

The liquid. Simply fill up a tablespoon with the stuff..maybe two..and
dump it into the media if its walnut hulls, corn cobs etc etc.

I am running it with Brasso now... thanks for a great tip...

Old May 30th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:29:59 -0500, Ignoramus28053

On 2010-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
What kind of Brasso are you guys talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

OK, more exactly, do you use liquid brasso or some kind of powder? I
have the liquid brasso at home.

The liquid. Simply fill up a tablespoon with the stuff..maybe two..and
dump it into the media if its walnut hulls, corn cobs etc etc.

I am running it with Brasso now... thanks for a great tip...

Give it a couple hours at the least. Its a very fine abrasive, but it
works pretty damned well.

Gunner

Old May 30th 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
What kind of Brasso are you guys talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

OK, more exactly, do you use liquid brasso or some kind of powder? I
have the liquid brasso at home.

The liquid. Simply fill up a tablespoon with the stuff..maybe two..and
dump it into the media if its walnut hulls, corn cobs etc etc.

I am running it with Brasso now... thanks for a great tip...

Give it a couple hours at the least. Its a very fine abrasive, but it
works pretty damned well.

Gunner

Brasso also has ammonia in it, which is the active ingredient in a lot
of copper fouling bore cleaners. However, it's only at 2-3% You can
google the msds. I've used exactly the same thing, Brasso on walnut
hulls, for a long time for brass for reloading. I now have some stuff
from Dillon.

Pete Keillor

Old May 30th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

What did you get and how does it work?

Gunner

Old May 30th 10, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Just their Rapid Polish 290, still in my 30 yr. old Thumler's Tumbler.
It works at least as good as Brasso, doesn't have the ammonia. They
claim it doesn't weaken the brass like Brasso, but I had very few case
failures loading .357 brass over and over for years using Brasso. I
lost my 50 lb. bag of walnut hulls in a move, so I'm using some Lyman
media right now.

Pete