DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler" (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/303752-do-not-buy-harbor-freight-rock-tumbler.html)

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 30th 10 10:52 PM

Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On Sun, 30 May 2010 15:41:05 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2010 13:06:09 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2010 13:31:38 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:19:11 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:29:59 -0500, Ignoramus28053

On 2010-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
What kind of Brasso are you guys talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

OK, more exactly, do you use liquid brasso or some kind of powder? I
have the liquid brasso at home.

The liquid. Simply fill up a tablespoon with the stuff..maybe two..and
dump it into the media if its walnut hulls, corn cobs etc etc.

I am running it with Brasso now... thanks for a great tip...

Give it a couple hours at the least. Its a very fine abrasive, but it
works pretty damned well.

Gunner

Brasso also has ammonia in it, which is the active ingredient in a lot
of copper fouling bore cleaners. However, it's only at 2-3% You can
google the msds. I've used exactly the same thing, Brasso on walnut
hulls, for a long time for brass for reloading. I now have some stuff
from Dillon.

Pete Keillor

What did you get and how does it work?

Gunner

Just their Rapid Polish 290, still in my 30 yr. old Thumler's Tumbler.
It works at least as good as Brasso, doesn't have the ammonia. They
claim it doesn't weaken the brass like Brasso, but I had very few case
failures loading .357 brass over and over for years using Brasso. I
lost my 50 lb. bag of walnut hulls in a move, so I'm using some Lyman
media right now.

Pete

There cant be a hell of a lot of ammonia in Brasso, as Ive got brass
sitting in my 2' vibratory thats been there for over a year, and it was
sitting in the tumbler for nearly a year, 3 yrs ago. G

Stuff must evaporate fairly quickly.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

On 2010-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

You can get walnut hull media on the cheap at pet stores. It's called
"lizard bedding".

I'm tired of having to fish media out of flash holes, and am thinking
about going to ultrasonic. I have a medium sized Branson cleaner (3/4
gal), and there are a number of home brew cleaning solutions on the web.
Hornady is now selling both a cleaner & a solution to use with it. Their
cleaner is just a re-labeled Gemoro, which you can buy cheaper elsewhere.

Check out:

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Doug White

Doug White

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 31st 10 01:16 AM

Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On Sun, 30 May 2010 21:21:25 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote in
:

wrote:

On 2010-05-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Thanks Doug...interesting indeed. Last ultrasonic of a size I could
use, was pretty damned expensive, even used, so Ive not investigated
them in years.

Gunner

Michael Koblic[_2_] May 31st 10 02:56 AM

Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[...]

Ayup. It has little or no ability to remove burrs in anything hard. Add
a bit more Brasso..another table spoon and it will likely remove the
last bit of stains..which generally are etched into the material..just a
heads up. Might not be deep..but walnut hulls have little ability to
actually remove much metal.

The last batch I put in a) pieces that were in corn cob before and b) pieces
that I cleaned with Brasso by hand - some of them 3 times. The latter still
had stains on them. The nut shells did not remove them after 7+ hours (I did
not add Brasso to the shells on this occasion). I think you are right about
the etching. I shall look for some of the mild plastic media and see what
they can do.

The next batch I shall put some steel in the nut shells. What compound do
you use for steel? There is a ton of proprietary compounds out there. I
hear
some people just put in a bit of turtle wax. I run the silica with just
water and dish- washing liquid with the predictable result of good
cleaning
but flash rusting. I wonder if dumping in a bit of Evaporust would work.

Are you trying to deburr, destain or what? Walnut hulls are really not
much good for anything as hard as steel, other than for putting a nice
almost matt finish on it. Ceramics are what you need for steel.

What are you trying to do with the steel? Let us know and Im sure you
will have a lot of suggestions..some even good.

On this occasion I am purely trying to find out what the various media will
do to various pieces.
Eventually I would like to deburr/remove machine marks from steel. I
understand that ceramic media are pretty much the ticket but while I am
hunting for a cheap source of the ceramics I am playing with whatever is at
hand :-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

[email protected] June 3rd 15 08:23 PM

Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 5:27:26 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus5816 wrote:
Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

I have 3 of them the double barrel ones have had no problem with them I been running rock through them for the last yr and they are still running great. I have had no problem with them.

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 3rd 15 10:51 PM

wrote:
On Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 5:27:26 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus5816 wrote:
Unless you want it to break after 3 weeks, that is. What a POS. I
bought it to show what rock tubling is, to my kids. I sort of knew
that it is junk, and bought an extended warranty, but all it give me
is the right to get another POS.

I have 3 of them the double barrel ones have had no problem with them
I been running rock through them for the last yr and they are still
running great. I have had no problem with them.

They're also supposed to work really well to ball mill homemade black
powder . Out in the far corner of the back yard by the fence and surrounded
by sandbags .

--
Snag

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] June 3rd 15 11:58 PM

Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in news:mknpap$594$1
@dont-email.me:

They're also supposed to work really well to ball mill homemade black
powder .

Not even close, Terry. The minimum 'correct' load for media to properly
ball mill (anything) is 50% full, with 25% of the empty volume in
material to be ground.

Typically, amateur BP-makers use hardened lead media -- about 1/2" in
diamter for that particular 'tumbler'. When filled with 5lb of that
lead, the thing will hardly turn over, much less turn at the optimum
speed (about 90rpm) for that 4-7/8" i.d. jar.

It requires re-work of the support bearings AND the motor's being
replaced in order to mill continually at the proper speed.

Some of those folks who report that "it works fine" are also reporting
milling times as long as 24 hours. At the proper speed and charging
factors, it will produce better-than-commercial BP in 2-1/2 to 4 hours.

Lloyd (who wrote the book on it "Ball Milling Theory and Practice for the
Amateur Pyrotechnician")

[email protected] June 4th 15 01:35 AM

Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 16:58:48 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[...]

And here I am, useing the ones I buy Saturday mornings to clean up
rusty treasures with "play sand" then sift them out with a "super
ventilated" cookie tin (a square cookie tin with a section of fine
expanded stainless installed in the inverted lid), works great except
that the sand tends to get compacted into rusty sockets.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 4th 15 01:57 AM

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
[...]

I did not realize they were that far down in quality . I gotta get back on
my ball mill project , got all the major pieces cast and/or machined , just
gotta start stickin' stuff together .

--
Snag

[email protected] June 4th 15 02:11 AM

Do not buy a Harbor Freight "rock tumbler"

I once was at a multi-spindle screw machine shop, they were making stainless steel nuts from hex bar. To deburr the parts they put them in a cement mixer and let them run for hours, MAN IT WAS LOUD !!!!!!

Steve W.[_4_] June 4th 15 03:27 AM

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
[...]

Yep you did :

http://www.rocketsaway.com/pyrotechn...ponenburgh.pdf