Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default compressed-air drills

What's that Lassie? You say that -MIKE- fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 24 May 2010 21:05:38 -0500:

I have shot things with them over half a km away. They definitely pack some
power.

Again, I just want to make sure.
Is that one half a kilometer? 500 meters?
That's over 1/4 mile... 1600 feet.

If that's not a typo and you honestly are trying to tell me that you
have shot a pneumatic nail gun 500 meters, then you are..... well I
don't know what the British phrase is for "full of sh!t." I believe the
term Bullocks! comes to mind.

I honestly hope that's a typo, otherwise it pretty much discredits
everything you've written in this thread.

I'm not so sure. A while back there was something called a high
velocity nail gun. There have been a few 'incidences' with them.
One I remember:

A work crew was working on a wall that was common to the business next
door. Someone was trying to nail a piece of strapping (1X3) to the
studs in a wall. They missed the stud and the nail shot through the
wall board (both sides) and lodged in the neck of a man getting a
haircut. The man was paralysed.

Soon after, the 'high velocity' nail guns were taken off the market.
Current models push the nail in, at relatively low speeds, rather than
launch it and have its inertia carry it home.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.