Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default stuck in park

"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if there's
not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If a rear drive vehicle, jacking up one rear wheel probably would not relieve pressure through the
differential. Usual fix is to push (jog) the vehicle against the direction of the jam to relieve
pressure; then take it out of park.

Bob Swinney
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if there's
not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if there's
not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

Geez, if that thing is sitting on a hill with a loaded trailer and just
that parking pawl stopping it.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
If a rear drive vehicle, jacking up one rear wheel probably would not
relieve pressure through the
differential. Usual fix is to push (jog) the vehicle against the
direction of the jam to relieve
pressure; then take it out of park.

Sounds like a plan, I'll bring a come along to try and pull it backward and
an old tire to push on it if that don't go.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/24/2010 08:37 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if there's
not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

I always forget the basics in situations like this. I'm one of those
guys who will have the TV or computer ripped half apart before I realize
that it's unplugged, or that the circuit breaker to the plug got turned
off when we were rewiring that switch and oh yea, we never turned it
back on, etc.

Of course, other than a jammed transmission, the only basic that I can
think of is the linkage.

Be sure to check the linkage.

And don't get rolled over by a van, then a trailer, if you happen to be
underneath when you get it unjammed.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , RBnDFW wrote:

Geez, if that thing is sitting on a hill with a loaded trailer and just
that parking pawl stopping it.....

Ever taken a transmission apart, and seen just how heavy that pawl actually
is? It's a pretty stout piece of very hard steel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Only if the differential is a locking type. Even limited
slip will
relieve pressure. My opinion is that the parking pawl is
beginning to shear and is unable to withdraw from the drum.
phil

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 May 2010 11:04:27 -0500, RBnDFW
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if there's
not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

Geez, if that thing is sitting on a hill with a loaded trailer and just
that parking pawl stopping it.....

Could be, but more likely he let it get on the pawl before setting the
brakes. Has he reversed the order, he wouldn't be in this pickle.
He's the one who has the diesel truck issue, too. I hope the rest of
his move is uneventful.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl... Do you have a large prybar, some kind of a strong plate and a helper?

Assuming this is a four wheeler trailer...

I would

1) Put chocks under the trailer's rear pair of wheels
2) unhook the trailer
3) Put the plate under the front wheel of the trailer
4) Push front tires of the trailer, to move back, inch by inch, with a
big prybar
5) Have your helper move the chocks back too

This should move the trailer away from the truck.

Then your truck is not pushed as hard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if
there's not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

If this is a van built in the last decade or so, check the brake light fuse
and the lights themselves. If they don't light when you depress the brakes,
that's your problem.

I found this out the hard way. g I can't give you specifics, but that is a
VERY common problem with recent vehicles stuck in park.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/24/2010 09:59 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Karl wrote in message
news.com...
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if
there's not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

If this is a van built in the last decade or so, check the brake light fuse
and the lights themselves. If they don't light when you depress the brakes,
that's your problem.

I found this out the hard way.g I can't give you specifics, but that is a
VERY common problem with recent vehicles stuck in park.

Some stupid lockout circuit, that won't let you shift to park unless the
brakes are on?

Argh.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 05/24/2010 09:59 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Karl wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

Yup. Or it won't let you shift *out* of park. Maybe both, I dunno. And
apparently it's very common.

I just Googled it to be sure, and I see that the same problem is mentioned
all over the place. It happened to me in my 2004 Ford Focus. A lot of people
with F150 pickups seem to have run into the same thing.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if
there's not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

You have more adventures that you are entitled to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if
there's not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

If this is a van built in the last decade or so, check the brake light fuse
and the lights themselves. If they don't light when you depress the brakes,
that's your problem.

I found this out the hard way. g I can't give you specifics, but that is a
VERY common problem with recent vehicles stuck in park.

I also found out about this the hard way.
You learn to keep spare brake light fuses. In my case I replaced it with
a relay. Seems to be specific to Ford products.
Good catch ed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , RBnDFW wrote:
Geez, if that thing is sitting on a hill with a loaded trailer and just
that parking pawl stopping it.....

Ever taken a transmission apart, and seen just how heavy that pawl actually
is? It's a pretty stout piece of very hard steel.

I probably have seen several, but the only one I really paid attention
to was way smaller than I would have liked it to be.
I've never trusted them since, always using the manual brake on hills,
and angling the steering to direct toward a curb or other stopper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 05/24/2010 09:59 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Karl wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

My '03 Dodge RAM has the same kind of "safety feature" - it won't let you
shift out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed at the same time.
It WILL let you go from Neutral to Park, however.

Just more meddling by the safety Nazis.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/24/2010 7:37 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Any quick ideas?

Backing it up somehow should help. Is it an older Ford? Any time I
borrow my Dad's Econoline, he reminds me to apply the parking brake
before putting it into park on any sort of grade. Even unloaded, his van
can be a PITA to get out of park if this drill isn't followed.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , RBnDFW wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , RBnDFW

wrote:
Geez, if that thing is sitting on a hill with a loaded trailer and just
that parking pawl stopping it.....

Ever taken a transmission apart, and seen just how heavy that pawl actually
is? It's a pretty stout piece of very hard steel.

I probably have seen several, but the only one I really paid attention
to was way smaller than I would have liked it to be.
I've never trusted them since, always using the manual brake on hills,
and angling the steering to direct toward a curb or other stopper.

I had the opposite reaction: I'm much more trusting of the pawl after having
seen how large it is.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , RBnDFW wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , RBnDFW

wrote:
Geez, if that thing is sitting on a hill with a loaded trailer and just
that parking pawl stopping it.....
Ever taken a transmission apart, and seen just how heavy that pawl actually
is? It's a pretty stout piece of very hard steel.

I probably have seen several, but the only one I really paid attention
to was way smaller than I would have liked it to be.
I've never trusted them since, always using the manual brake on hills,
and angling the steering to direct toward a curb or other stopper.

I had the opposite reaction: I'm much more trusting of the pawl after having
seen how large it is.

Maybe they were different transmissions
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If this is a van built in the last decade or so, check the brake light fuse
and the lights themselves. If they don't light when you depress the brakes,
that's your problem.

Some seem to have an brake hydraulic interlock. Wonder if that is hte problem.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My Govt. Motors 2004 Pontiac GXP had one of those stupid interlock problems. It was locked into
'Drive" and would not go into 'Park" because of failure of one of the lock-out solenoids. Better
living through electromechanics.

Bob Swinney
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message ...

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 05/24/2010 09:59 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Karl wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

My Govt. Motors 2004 Pontiac GXP had one of those stupid interlock problems. It was locked into
'Drive" and would not go into 'Park" because of failure of one of the lock-out solenoids. Better
living through electromechanics.

So when you can't get it into park, then you can't start it again because it isn't in
park. That is one of those things where you know bad just came, worse is coming.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , RBnDFW wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , RBnDFW
wrote:
Geez, if that thing is sitting on a hill with a loaded trailer and just
that parking pawl stopping it.....
Ever taken a transmission apart, and seen just how heavy that pawl actually
is? It's a pretty stout piece of very hard steel.
I probably have seen several, but the only one I really paid attention
to was way smaller than I would have liked it to be.
I've never trusted them since, always using the manual brake on hills,
and angling the steering to direct toward a curb or other stopper.

I had the opposite reaction: I'm much more trusting of the pawl after having
seen how large it is.

Maybe they were different transmissions

Perhaps folks are also forgetting the mechanical advantage the "little"
pawl in the transmission has due to the gearing past it in the
differential. The somewhat rare driveshaft parking brakes use the same
gearing advantage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

On 05/24/2010 09:59 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Karl wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

BTSI - Brake Transmission Shift Interlock, one of the "nanny" devices
that arose from idiots starting vehicles in gear and crashing into
stuff. All that I have seen have had an override mechanism, usually
under a little pop off cover next to the shift lever. You pop the cover
off and then push a lever under it to release the interlock in the event
of an electrical or solenoid failure. The procedure is documented in the
owner's manual that nobody reads.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Naw! I guess it "failed safe" in some way. It would not go into park. Evidently the (failed)
relay logic knew to let it start in drive. I high-tailed it home 25 miles and took it in for repair
under extened warranty the next day.

Bob Swinney
"Wes" wrote in message
"Robert Swinney" wrote:

My Govt. Motors 2004 Pontiac GXP had one of those stupid interlock problems. It was locked into
'Drive" and would not go into 'Park" because of failure of one of the lock-out solenoids. Better
living through electromechanics.

So when you can't get it into park, then you can't start it again because it isn't in
park. That is one of those things where you know bad just came, worse is coming.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Tim Wescott wrote:

On 05/24/2010 09:59 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Karl wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

That's how I got my Focus moving. Yes, it's documented in my owner's manual,
but I only found out about it after calling my local Ford service
department.

Now I carry a tiny screwdriver in the glove box to pop the cover open. I
wrecked one cover with my pocket knife, but it only happened once.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Naw! I guess it "failed safe" in some way. It would not go into park. Evidently the (failed)
relay logic knew to let it start in drive. I high-tailed it home 25 miles and took it in for repair
under extened warranty the next day.

You got lucky. Did you start in in neutral?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 May 2010 17:02:20 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Tim Wescott wrote:

On 05/24/2010 09:59 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Karl wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

That's ridiculous, but great to know, for all those other vehicles.

I by pass the clutch switch as soon as the vehicle is mine cause who
wants to depress the clutch just to start it. Same thing with the
stereo, don't need a stinking key and ping ping ping with the music.

I despise automatics and can't pass up a cool brand new looking
Porsche without seeing if it has a stick shift and I haven't seen one
yet ! Are you to just brake into every situation?

A friend got one of those newer caddies, best hope those things are in
a good mood when you need to go somewhere. That or just stop somewhere
and have it refuse to continue on cause there's no windshield washer
to protect the rubber blades, and you slammed the door for the last
time. Or better yet, lip off to the police and confirm that you have
driven down the main drag within the last hour in Allen Town PA. where
it is illegal.

Not to mention that all conversations are recorded and if driving
across a state line is admissible in court. Bet that comes really
convenient with all those tiny states around you.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default stuck in park - Folow up

I just got back.

We got it out of park ONCE. Did this by jacking on the drive shaft with a
pipe wrench and wiggling on the shift lever at the same time.

Moved the van to level ground and locked it up again. Its a Ford Econoline.
I just told the kid about the electric possible problem He'll check it out.

We got the seven cyclinder deisel there and a load of stuff, got the water
running (off all winter) Got the AC running, stove is broke, but he knew
that. The place hasn't been mowed this year, he's got a new lawn mower to
test tonight. First night in the new place. He needs the van big time to
complete the move.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...
"The Kid" is closing on his house today. backing his van up a steep hill
with a heavy trailer, he put it in park and got out to make sure he wasn't
going to hit anything. Now, its stuck.

I leave in a bit over an hour to help him out and loan him a car if
there's not a quick fix.

He did jack up one rear wheel to relieve pressure, no joy.

Any quick ideas?

Karl

You have more adventures that you are entitled to.

Payback for all that steel he stole! ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I just got back.

We got it out of park ONCE. Did this by jacking on the drive shaft with a
pipe wrench and wiggling on the shift lever at the same time.

Moved the van to level ground and locked it up again. Its a Ford
Econoline. I just told the kid about the electric possible problem He'll
check it out.

We got the seven cyclinder deisel there and a load of stuff, got the water
running (off all winter) Got the AC running, stove is broke, but he knew
that. The place hasn't been mowed this year, he's got a new lawn mower to
test tonight. First night in the new place. He needs the van big time to
complete the move.

karl

Dont know if anyone else has mentioned this possibility.....

My dad's ford focus got stranded and would not mover out of park. Turned out
faulty trailer wiring had blown a brake light supply fuse - solenoid in the
g/box then prevented the gear shift from moving - supposedly a safety
feature......

Too long ago for me to remember but I dont think the fix wasnt a simple as
replacing the blown bulb / fuse. This may not apply to your problem but if
you are clutching at straws it could be a possiblility.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Royston Vasey" wrote in message
. au...

[...]

The fuse was the problem. We never would have thought of this without the
kind folks on RCM. He's got ACE moving company (all his friends) in high
gear today.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The fuse was the problem.

If it ends up being the trailer that blew the fuse, then you might
consider getting one of those trailer light converters with the built-
in self-resetting breakers. I burned out a few fuses and a few
converters before I threw this one in, and it's lasted about three
times as long as the last converter I had before that, and I know it
protected the fuses just the other week when my trailer developed a
short (maybe I'll run the next set of wiring in pvc conduit?). Even
if you don't need a converter, it might be worth it for the breakers.

--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Glenn Lyford wrote:
The fuse was the problem.

If it ends up being the trailer that blew the fuse, then you might
consider getting one of those trailer light converters with the built-
in self-resetting breakers. I burned out a few fuses and a few
converters before I threw this one in, and it's lasted about three
times as long as the last converter I had before that, and I know it
protected the fuses just the other week when my trailer developed a
short (maybe I'll run the next set of wiring in pvc conduit?). Even
if you don't need a converter, it might be worth it for the breakers.

I just bought a circuit-breaker that replaced the fuse.
I still keep spare fuses (belt and suspenders, ya know)

Park Bench Greg O Woodworking 11 July 10th 06 10:00 PM
'94 buick park ave, delco radio stuck in station scan, fix ? Rob B Electronics Repair 10 December 10th 05 02:04 AM
'94 buick park ave, delco radio stuck in station scan, fix ? JR North Electronics Repair 0 December 6th 05 02:37 AM
Shedd Park Charlie S. Home Repair 1 September 1st 05 03:39 AM
Park Marking Help Lane Metalworking 10 February 3rd 05 05:11 AM