Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Home Despots -- NEVER again!

I thought I would spread the news about an issue I had with Home Depot
Friday.

We had a trenching crew cut a buried feeder to our water pump. It was
old direct-burial UF-TW, and I knew the size and length. I decided to go
THHN/THHW in a pipe this time to do the job right.

I sent an errand boy down to HD with the specs IN WRITING.

So, I get a call from the store saying the "woman needs to talk to me."

I had spec'd the gauge (#2AWG copper or 1/0 aluminum), the insulation
type, the number of conductors, and the length. In writing.

She said, "you don't know what you want" (!). Explained to her the load,
the length, the application and the ampacity of those two wires I'd
spec'd.

She said, "Aluminum is against the law -- it's too dangerous -- we don't
sell it." Hmmm... I guess the utility companies haven't heard that one
yet.

OK, lady, do you carry COPPER? "Yes, but it's going to be expensive."
Sure... retail copper always is. "If we cut it, you cannot return it."
Yep... cut goods, all sales are final.

"What do you want, EXACTLY?". #2AWG copper, THHN/THHW, 250', one piece
please.

So the boy comes back asking for help to unload. Huh? In the bed of the
truck is a single spool of about 300lb of 2/0 copper THHN. Spool is a
factory spool, sealed, marked "250-feet, 2/0, THHN". WTF?

Call the sto "sorry you can't return cut wire". It's not cut, its on
a factory sealed spool, and it's NOT what I ordered IN WRITING. "Sorry,
we don't accept returns of cut wire."

OK, you're getting it back anyway, and I'm calling the credit card folks
to report fraud. You're getting it back no matter what, and I'm getting
my money back. Plus I'm going to sue the daylights out of you for
shutting down my factory while we sort this out. "What's your number;
we'll call you back."

Now it's 3:30PM. This has been going on since 9:45. Finally the store
manager calls back an says, "It's our policy not to accept cut wire back,
but we'll do it just this one time."

This time, they miraculously had what I'd asked for the first time, and
by 4:30, we had our pump back on.

Next time you need something from Home Depot -- go to Lowes.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks like you had two uninformed people, the Home Depot woman and the
"boy", a bad combination. I would be ****ed off, but at both of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I thought I would spread the news about an issue I had with Home Depot
Friday.

[snip tale of woe]

Next time you need something from Home Depot -- go to Lowes.

That's the wrong lesson to take out of this experience. The *right* lesson is
that the next time you need specialty electrical supplies, go to an electrical
supply house. Not to one of the home centers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/24/2010 07:14 AM, Ignoramus13363 wrote:
Looks like you had two uninformed people, the Home Depot woman and the
"boy", a bad combination. I would be ****ed off, but at both of them.

Why? Did Lloyd say he hired the boy to be informed, or just to be good
enough to drive a truck? If he told the kid "give them this here paper
and everything will be OK" then it's not the kid's fault in any way
shape or form.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug sez:

"That's the wrong lesson to take out of this experience. The *right* lesson is
that the next time you need specialty electrical supplies, go to an electrical
supply house. Not to one of the home centers."

Right on, Doug, right on !

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
(Doug Miller) fired this volley in
:

That's the wrong lesson to take out of this experience. The *right*
lesson is that the next time you need specialty electrical supplies,
go to an electrical supply house. Not to one of the home centers.

That's nice -- an hour one-way to the nearest wholesale electrical
supply,

Where are you, that it's an hour each way to the nearest electrical supply
house?

15 minutes to HD or Lowes.

And 6+ hours of waiting and arguing before you finally got the right thing.

There was a time-critical element he Not that it would have taken
longer to go to Graybar, after all's said and done.

Which was, after all, exactly my point...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
[...]

It was just your turn in the barrel. If not this, then something else. Be
glad no blood was spilled and nothing caught on fire.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I can't go to Lowe's, they're on my 1 year black list - again.

Never ask any questions of big box store personnel, or answer any of
their questions. State what you require and that is all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I thought I would spread the news about an issue I had with Home Depot
Friday.

The two Home Depots near me have fairly decent electricians on staff. The down economy of
Michigan might have something to do with it.

The reason I know they are decent is my brother who is a master electrican worked with
them back when he was in the union and he vouched for each of them.

I called Home Depot today about a specific mower, they told me they didn't have any except
the display model so they can't help me. So I go to the local lawn and garden place and
guess what, every model they have is on display ready to fill with oil and gas.

So they load the assembled machine (they oiled, fueled and showed me it ran first) on my
trailer and then told the guy in back to get another box of that model and put it together
for the show room floor.

IF Home Depot had one in a box, it would have been 20 dollars less, not having to put it
together when I got home was worth it.

Getting back to the subject of wire, Home Depot often is less expensive than the local
electric house. I don't know if it is a loss leader or what but my brother has got some
killer deals on wire their when the market was jumping up and down or Home Depot changed
suppliers and cleared stock. Home Depot does some strange things at time.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I thought I would spread the news about an issue I had with Home Depot
Friday.

[snip tale of woe]

Next time you need something from Home Depot -- go to Lowes.

That's the wrong lesson to take out of this experience. The *right* lesson is
that the next time you need specialty electrical supplies, go to an electrical
supply house. Not to one of the home centers.

Wire is not a specialty electrical supply, it is an ordinary commodity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Sorry, I can't go to Lowe's, they're on my 1 year black list - again.

Never ask any questions of big box store personnel, or answer any of
their questions. State what you require and that is all.

Lowe's opened up a hardware store here, a city in America, about a year ago.
Everything in the store, from the front door to the exit, is marked equally
large in both English and Spanish.

I promptly left, and will never return.

F*&% Lowe's.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I thought I would spread the news about an issue I had with Home Depot
Friday.

The two Home Depots near me have fairly decent electricians on staff. The
down economy of
Michigan might have something to do with it.

Here they just hire morons:

1) I needed 9 feet of 14/3 cable to replace a power cord. You have to find
an "associate' who has to find another "associate" who is qualified to
operate the code-locked wire carousel. After establishing why I needed the
said wire and twiddling the said carousel we determined that they run out of
the said cable. "It is on order, don't know when it will be in". Walking
away I found a 9-foot 14/3 power cable on the shelf 10 feet away complete
with a plug...

2) Just after they opened I bought a 15Amp Ridgid circular saw which had a
horribly wobbly footplate that could not be put right easily. I returned it
the next day only to get into the argument with one of the muppets who
insisted that I brought the wrong receipt. They give you two receipts but
the "duplicate" does not have the bar code on it. Of course no-one tells you
when you pay for the item. After a frank exchange of views on the quality of
training of the "associates" she made the exchange.

The reason that I still shop there is that RONA *really* sucks...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

"

Never ask any questions of big box store personnel, or answer any of
their questions. State what you require and that is all.

I needed a computer a few years ago. Fastest deal was to buy one from Best
Buy. I walked in, looked for a few minutes, and then a sales person walks up
and asks me if he can help. I pointed to a computer tower and said I want
one of those, then he starts asking me what kind of computing I plan to do,
and that if I buy the packaged computer, monitor, keyboard and monitor I
will get a better deal, questioning me on RAM and HD size, bla bla bla.... I
told him if he wants to keep trying to ask questions, and recommending other
items, to find me someone else to help, as I know what I want, I just need
someone to find the boxed items on the shelf! He smiled and said, "yes sir!"
and started pulling the items off the shelf I asked for. The deal went
smoothly after that!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

Lowe's is no better.

I needed to have a piece of Plexiglas cut to 28.75" x 24.5". I had a
slip of paper with those measurements on it which I gave to the
ASSociate. The ASSociate ignored the scale built into the machine and
marked the plastic, then proceeded to cut it to 28". I told him it was
wrong, apparently he was unfamiliar with the concept of decimal
fractions. He then started to get another piece of Plexiglas. I
pointed out he could trim the 28" to 24.5" and cut the 28.75" in the
other axis. Since he had no idea what I meant, I showed him how to put
the sheet back in the machine, line it up with the built in scale and
cut it to what I needed. I probably violated a dozen company policies
by doing this.

I haven't been back to Lowe's...and not because that store closed
about a year and a half after it opened.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Michael Koblic wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

When the big box stores started, they were supplying reasonable cost
items to DIYers and small contractors with their primary advantage being
a wider selection and longer hours. They have now shifted to supplying a
combination of overpriced adequate items and lower priced garbage items
to those who don't know any better. It's reached the point that you are
often better off entering an online order to McMaster or the like and
getting the correct high quality item delivered the next day for nearly
the same price.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

My dad has been waiting over six weeks for Lowes to deliver and build
the shed he paid for. They just keep putting him off with one lame
excuse after another. At least Home Depot had the balls to admit they
didn't have a certified contractor to do the work when he talked to
them.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 24, 9:58*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

We were working on a house at the same time a kitchen contractor
working through HD was supposed to install the custom cabinets from
HD. They ripped out the old stuff because HD said everything was in so
do the demo. When the shipment got dropped they started opening them
up to install and over a third of the cabinets were damaged. Of course
the range and sink cabinets were damaged. So sorry no home cooking
until the replacement shows up in 3 weeks.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

I guess they aren't worried, now that HD and Lowes are the only
players in a lot of places. Builder's Square went bankrupt, and 84
lumber disappeared around here. The other places either are too small
to offer those services, or only sell to contractors.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

[...]

When Builder's Square opened here, two local and two smaller chain
hardware stores folded within 6 months. Then BS folded and we had
nothing close...

until Home Despot opened...

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have the same reaction, when I get to the front door, and it's
equally English and Spanish for all the signage.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

Lowe's opened up a hardware store here, a city in America, about a
year ago.
Everything in the store, from the front door to the exit, is marked
equally
large in both English and Spanish.

I promptly left, and will never return.

F*&% Lowe's.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just don't understand why you object to a business providing customer
service. when you go to a store in say france, or thailand, or spain, don't
you find it helpful that they provide signs in English - why do you have
this anti-business reaction?

.

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

Lowe's opened up a hardware store here, a city in America, about a
year ago.
Everything in the store, from the front door to the exit, is marked
equally
large in both English and Spanish.

I promptly left, and will never return.

F*&% Lowe's.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Next time you need something from Home Depot -- go to Lowes.

My dad has been waiting over six weeks for Lowes to deliver and build
the shed he paid for. They just keep putting him off with one lame
excuse after another. At least Home Depot had the balls to admit they
didn't have a certified contractor to do the work when he talked to
them.

The last time my dad called Lowes about his shed they told him the
Orange County Sherriff had arrested the contractor, and siezed the
materials in Orlando. That is several hours away from the jobsite.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You live in a very small, intolerant world.

I'm from Vermont, where the signs are almost all in English;
occasionally adding French.

But I've lived and hardware shopped for years in Africa, China and now
the Middle East. I sure appreciate it when some signs
are in English, along with the Arabic and Chinese!

Otherwise you end up like I did a couple weeks ago in Thuwal, Saudi
Arabia. I had to dig thru some construction trash to be able to
define "Plywood"
and "Washer"... by bringing a sample with me.

Let's keep the big problems to finding materials and designing and
building stuff....

Regards, Terry King ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa

Newsletter:
http://redseanews.info Community Information: http://redseainfo.info

Lowe's opened up a hardware store here, a city in America, about a
year ago.
Everything in the store, from the front door to the exit, is marked
equally
large in both English and Spanish.

I promptly left, and will never return.

F*&% Lowe's.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 24, 5:17*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

Sorry, I can't go to Lowe's, they're on my 1 year black list - again.

Never ask any questions of big box store personnel, or answer any of
their questions. State what you require and that is all.

Lowe's opened up a hardware store here, a city in America, about a year ago.
Everything in the store, from the front door to the exit, is marked equally
large in both English and Spanish.

I promptly left, and will never return.

F*&% Lowe's.

Jon

There are Spanish speaking people in my town. You are welcome to not
come here.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 May 2010 04:05:54 -0700 (PDT), TerryKing
wrote:

You live in a very small, intolerant world.

I'm from Vermont, where the signs are almost all in English;
occasionally adding French.

But I've lived and hardware shopped for years in Africa, China and now
the Middle East. I sure appreciate it when some signs
are in English, along with the Arabic and Chinese!

Otherwise you end up like I did a couple weeks ago in Thuwal, Saudi
Arabia. I had to dig thru some construction trash to be able to
define "Plywood"
and "Washer"... by bringing a sample with me.

Let's keep the big problems to finding materials and designing and
building stuff....

Regards, Terry King ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa

Newsletter: http://redseanews.info Community Information: http://redseainfo.info

If you are going to live in a country why not learn a bit of the
language?

John B. Slocomb
(johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oyforchureh!

Gunner, for whom Finnglish was his native language.

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost