Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default compressed-air drills

On Sun, 23 May 2010 21:09:21 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

On 2010-05-23, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project
requires a new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is
showing its age a bit, or to be more precise, the batteries are
showing their age -- building a deck, I'll definitely drain the
batteries in much less time than it takes to recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills
(e.g. saw one at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to
wondering... almost every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch
to prevent overtightening, or sinking screws too deep. Does anybody
make an air drill with such a clutch?

You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

Sure you can. Why do you say that?

He must have based it on a Crapsman 7.2v oldie, eh?
I can run a 3-1/2" #10 deck screw into a stack of PT tubafores with
only my thumb and little finger directing the Impactor. Try that with
a regular cordless drill. g (That's with a new pozi drive bit or a
new or used square bit.)

Air drills do not have the torque. (in my experience).

Agreed - wrong tool for the job.

Agreed, wrong tool for the job.
Disagree torque. My Chicago Pneumatic will run a 1/2" bit clean
through 1" steel plate, but you'd better be hanging onto it with both
hands when you try. It thinks it's a Hole Hawg.

--
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when
they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

compressed-air drills Larry Jaques[_2_] Metalworking 0 May 24th 10 03:21 AM
compressed-air drills dan Metalworking 0 May 23rd 10 11:38 PM
compressed-air drills Sunworshipper[_3_] Metalworking 0 May 23rd 10 05:10 PM
compressed-air drills Larry Jaques[_2_] Metalworking 0 May 23rd 10 02:24 PM
compressed-air drills Larry Jaques[_2_] Metalworking 0 May 23rd 10 02:15 PM