Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default GLOAT: I'm tired

Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 May 2010 13:19:05 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

Outstanding.

I just got a Murry Beach comber bike with the big fat tires they would
just kill for on Huntington beach for free.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

That is a serious Iggy class gloat. Did you get the racks with it?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the
steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said
$200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

That is a serious Iggy class gloat. Did you get the racks with it?

Wes

I bought the racks for $150. But traded them off while at the auction.
probably a mistake. I thought I had room on my racks. i do, but it will be a
pain cuase they will be overfilled and I'll have to take 500 lbs of stuff
off every time I need something.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

Most Excellent Gloat, Karl!

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/23/2010 10:19 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Congrats, hell of a score!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 23, 11:19*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been *hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

Nice going! I have seen people off bs'ing with a buddy or yaking on a
cell phone instead of paying attention at an auction, then, like
yours, get ****ed when they miss a great buy.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-23, Karl Townsend wrote:
Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

I hate you!!!

You are completely disgusting!!!!!!!!!1

Awesome deal, anyway, and a great workout, good for developing hand
grip and back strength. I love the steel that I bought, already had
chances to use it etc, plus I sold a lot too, all D2 is gone. I sold
two buckets of D2 for $200.

Do you ever go down south in the direction of Chicagoland?

I could buy some 12L14 from you and square tubing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-23, Wes wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

That is a serious Iggy class gloat. Did you get the racks with it?

Wes

It was above my class.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Do you ever go down south in the direction of Chicagoland?

When I go south, I take great pains to avoid Dailey's city. If I'm heading
East, I'll cut south on I-39 to Rockford and on to I-80 then make the turn.

I lived 200 feet from the toll plaza on 294 just south of the Eisenhower for
two years.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
... The lot weighed in at just over 20,000 lbs. ...

Damn - $20,000, say, of steel for $200!!

Damn - I wish that I had room to store 10 tons of steel!

Hey - you can change that sign to read "Karl's Apples and Steel Fabrication"

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-23, Karl Townsend wrote:
Do you ever go down south in the direction of Chicagoland?

When I go south, I take great pains to avoid Dailey's city. If I'm heading
East, I'll cut south on I-39 to Rockford and on to I-80 then make the turn.

I could meet you on I-294 (preferred) or I-80 to consummate some
transaction.

I lived 200 feet from the toll plaza on 294 just south of the Eisenhower for
two years.

That was in 15 minutes from me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

Awright, Karl! Nice buy, good gloat.

BTW: I hate you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the
steel room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said
$200, still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which
rack and the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

OT: The batch of 9mm cast bullets, a few I gave to your kid, seem to be
under-lubed. If any are left, give them another coat of Alox. They seem to
lead my bbl. a bit more than the latest batch, but not too badly. I used to
thin the Alox 3:1 with mineral spirits, now I do 8:1. Let me know if you
want more, I cast them 500 at a time or for about half an hour, then it gets
boring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-23, Karl Townsend wrote:
Do you ever go down south in the direction of Chicagoland?

When I go south, I take great pains to avoid Dailey's city. If I'm
heading
East, I'll cut south on I-39 to Rockford and on to I-80 then make the
turn.

I could meet you on I-294 (preferred) or I-80 to consummate some
transaction.

I lived 200 feet from the toll plaza on 294 just south of the Eisenhower
for
two years.

That was in 15 minutes from me.

I'll make it a point to come see you next trip south. i guess it won't kill
me to do Chicago one more time.

BTW, "The Kid" was all the way to Madison today. He picked up a 2 year old
zero turn lawn mower for $400 that sells new for $4K. It wasn't running. He
cleaned out the fuel tank, pickup tube, and installed a snowmobile fuel pump
for temporary trial. Runs like new. He said it took him two hours to fix it.
The guy only had a 1/4 acre lawn and never really used it. Nor maintained
it, from the story I heard.

Guess it was a good weekend for the Townsend clan.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 May 2010 13:51:21 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote the following:

Super nice gloat, Karl. Congratulations.

Bob Swinney
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
tanews.com...
Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

So which racks did you sell for $200 to each of them? g

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

Oy vay!

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

I should hope so.

P.S: You Suck!

--
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when
they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-23, Karl Townsend wrote:
Do you ever go down south in the direction of Chicagoland?

When I go south, I take great pains to avoid Dailey's city. If I'm
heading
East, I'll cut south on I-39 to Rockford and on to I-80 then make the
turn.

I could meet you on I-294 (preferred) or I-80 to consummate some
transaction.

I lived 200 feet from the toll plaza on 294 just south of the Eisenhower
for
two years.

That was in 15 minutes from me.

I'll make it a point to come see you next trip south. i guess it won't kill
me to do Chicago one more time.

I am in Lisle, IL, far from Chicago.

BTW, "The Kid" was all the way to Madison today. He picked up a 2 year old
zero turn lawn mower for $400 that sells new for $4K. It wasn't running. He
cleaned out the fuel tank, pickup tube, and installed a snowmobile fuel pump
for temporary trial. Runs like new. He said it took him two hours to fix it.
The guy only had a 1/4 acre lawn and never really used it. Nor maintained
it, from the story I heard.

Guess it was a good weekend for the Townsend clan.

Sounds awesome! How is your back now?

Anyway, I will be off in the morning to pick up a Quincy 5120
compressor ($200), Baldor 8107W grinder ($50) etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

On 2010-05-23, Karl Townsend wrote:
Do you ever go down south in the direction of Chicagoland?

When I go south, I take great pains to avoid Dailey's city. If I'm
heading
East, I'll cut south on I-39 to Rockford and on to I-80 then make the
turn.

I could meet you on I-294 (preferred) or I-80 to consummate some
transaction.

I lived 200 feet from the toll plaza on 294 just south of the
Eisenhower
for
two years.

That was in 15 minutes from me.

I'll make it a point to come see you next trip south. i guess it won't
kill
me to do Chicago one more time.

I am in Lisle, IL, far from Chicago.

I'll be in Montgomery sometime in July. I'll try to remember to get your
info before I go.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-23, Karl Townsend wrote:
Do you ever go down south in the direction of Chicagoland?

When I go south, I take great pains to avoid Dailey's city. If I'm
heading
East, I'll cut south on I-39 to Rockford and on to I-80 then make the
turn.

I could meet you on I-294 (preferred) or I-80 to consummate some
transaction.

I lived 200 feet from the toll plaza on 294 just south of the
Eisenhower
for
two years.

That was in 15 minutes from me.

I'll make it a point to come see you next trip south. i guess it won't
kill
me to do Chicago one more time.

I am in Lisle, IL, far from Chicago.

I'll be in Montgomery sometime in July. I'll try to remember to get your
info before I go.

That's great it is 10 miles from me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-23, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

My real email address is the one on the header (and below) with the "3"
removed. I should have a free day while I'm out there. Maybe we can get
together for a beer and you can give me some tips on buying machines cheap.
d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the steel
room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said $200,
still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which rack and
the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

Bravo!!! Kudos!

Gunner, who bought an antique Brunswick snooker table 2 weeks ago for
$25, that had been estimated to be worth $12k-20k, at the Gossco
auction.
--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Any tool steel?

Na, all fabrication stuff for a weld shop. maybe 1000 lbs. of rectangles and
rounds. two pallets of plates, two pallets of angle iron, three pallets of
pipe and tubing, three pallets of channel and I beem. All of it with
significant surface rust. No one including myself could see how much there
was. The plates had a pile of used 2 x 4s over them. There was tin and old
rain gutters over the angle iron.

"The Kid" shot that lead up while I was on vacation. I had told hime to
clean the Glock, I'm sure he did. You never have troulbe with that pistol,
it runs like a Glock. I've got one too

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PS I just tried to email you by going to your company web site.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-24, Buerste wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Went to an auction yesterday. Big one with two rings. Right when one ring
moved to the power tools, the other ring moved across the place to the
steel room. The auctioneer started offering choice which rack of steel, no
bidders. So, he said the whole room. Ask 1000, 500, no takers. I said
$200, still no bites and he says SOLD. Then about three guys say which
rack and the auctioneer says, no the whole room, they were ****ed.

Anyway I've been hauling for a day and a half. The lot weighed in at just
over 20,000 lbs. Only maybe 500 lbs. in lengths shorter than four feet.

I think I'm set on steel for a while.

Karl

Any tool steel?

i got m2, m4, cpm m2, m4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

emailed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

That is a serious Iggy class gloat. Did you get the racks with it?

Wes

I bought the racks for $150. But traded them off while at the auction.
probably a mistake. I thought I had room on my racks. i do, but it will be a
pain cuase they will be overfilled and I'll have to take 500 lbs of stuff
off every time I need something.

Oh that will get old soon. Damn though, having racks in place, though overfilled a bit,
that could take 20,000# is a gloat of its own.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

BTW, "The Kid" was all the way to Madison today. He picked up a 2 year old
zero turn lawn mower for $400 that sells new for $4K. It wasn't running. He
cleaned out the fuel tank, pickup tube, and installed a snowmobile fuel pump
for temporary trial. Runs like new. He said it took him two hours to fix it.
The guy only had a 1/4 acre lawn and never really used it. Nor maintained
it, from the story I heard.

Guess it was a good weekend for the Townsend clan.

With suckage like that, and so close together, prepare for hurricanes.

I'm trading $300 worth of work to a client for her Murray riding
mower. Tecumseh 20hp, electrostatic, runs like a champ. She got a new
Husqvarna with a bumper. Somehow, that bumper seemed important to her.

I gave up on repairing my tired Crapsman mower and bought a new Torro #20333 'Personal
Pace' self propelled today. Thing is pretty nice, the blade has a clutch so when you let
go the engine keeps running while the mower quits moving and the blade stops spinning.

I'm sick and tired of restarting a mower when I pick up a some debris in my mowing path.

The self propel mechanism is variable speed, if you stop, it stops, you start running it
will do 4mph with speeds in between. It works independently of the blade system so you
can walk the mower though gravel or whatever with the blade stopped.

Sure hope all the new fangled stuff is durable.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:18:11 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

OT: The batch of 9mm cast bullets, a few I gave to your kid, seem to be
under-lubed. If any are left, give them another coat of Alox. They seem to
lead my bbl. a bit more than the latest batch, but not too badly. I used to
thin the Alox 3:1 with mineral spirits, now I do 8:1. Let me know if you
want more, I cast them 500 at a time or for about half an hour, then it gets
boring.

Tom are you referring to Liquid Alox? If so, I've thinned mine with
denatured alcohol rather than mineral spirits. They dry faster that
way. I can't say what proportions. I just thin till it pours more
easily. Over time it separates, so I have to shake the bottle before
I start using it again.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OT: The batch of 9mm cast bullets, a few I gave to your kid, seem to be
under-lubed. If any are left, give them another coat of Alox. They seem
lead my bbl. a bit more than the latest batch, but not too badly. I used
thin the Alox 3:1 with mineral spirits, now I do 8:1. Let me know if you
want more, I cast them 500 at a time or for about half an hour, then it
gets
boring.

Tom are you referring to Liquid Alox? If so, I've thinned mine with
denatured alcohol rather than mineral spirits. They dry faster that
way. I can't say what proportions. I just thin till it pours more
easily. Over time it separates, so I have to shake the bottle before
I start using it again.

RWL

Thanks, I'll try that! I just ordered a quart of generic off of ebay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 May 2010 15:01:20 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Tom are you referring to Liquid Alox? If so, I've thinned mine with
denatured alcohol rather than mineral spirits. They dry faster that
way. I can't say what proportions. I just thin till it pours more
easily. Over time it separates, so I have to shake the bottle before
I start using it again.

RWL

Thanks, I'll try that! I just ordered a quart of generic off of ebay.

I looked at eBay under liquid alox and alox bullet lube and didn't
spot any liquid generic stuff. What term do I need to put in to find
it?

I've gotten my generic from Aircraft Spruce. IIRC it was about $18 /
quart for Par-AL-Ketone, an aircraft rust preventative, which seems to
be the same thing as Lee Liquid Alox.

RWL

Tired looking decking Mike P UK diy 2 June 7th 07 11:57 PM
Man makes 86 YO mother split own wood! Was: Possible Gloat/real gloat LRod Woodworking 0 May 3rd 06 04:32 PM
Are you tired of looking for money? Moneyseeker Woodworking 0 February 8th 05 05:09 PM
Are you tired of looking for money? Moneyseeker Metalworking 0 February 8th 05 05:09 PM