Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another tractor

Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

I've never sold a gun either. Maybe someone can give advice here, cause
she's going to think I have too many guns next. they are starting to
multiply.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 19, 6:39*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

I've never sold a gun either. Maybe someone can give advice here, cause
she's going to think I have too many guns next. they are starting to
multiply.

To paraphrase my my somewhat dodgy memory the words of Roger Welsch of
"Busted Tractors and Rusty Knuckles" fame, some of the rules for
living with a large tractor collection a
- Never line them all up. Keep them scattered so you can't see them
all from any single location.
- Do not name them with a nice organized number. "Allis number 17"
causes a lot more consternation than "Sweet Allis" or "that tractor
from the Johansen place."

Perhaps if you keep a needed implement on each one? "I can't get rid
of that one, you know how much time I spent trying to get the sprayer
ballanced, and that one is all set up for mowing, you know how messy
the orchards look if I let that go--let's face it, I need them
all..." Harder to make the case if they're all tucked neatly away in
the tractor shed, despite the warm fuzzy feeling you get from having
equipment under cover.
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I hope that you WON"T let us know if you ever find out. I could not
imagine doing either. Thank God my with is understanding. Scratch
that... tolerant.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice lady, but she IS wrong. Six is not too many.
Is this your only backhoe? If so, then nothing else could replace
it, of course. If you have another backhoe, then put a thumb on one of
them. Then you can pick the right machine for the job at hand.
A backhoe doesn't replace any other tractor with a PTO either, so you
can't get rid of any of them.
Nope, you are stuck with them all.
I sold some tractors many years ago and wish I still had a couple of
them. Especially the IH 400 fast hitch and the John Deere A with a nice
power block.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

Karl Townsend wrote:
Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

I've never sold a gun either. Maybe someone can give advice here, cause
she's going to think I have too many guns next. they are starting to
multiply.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

I've never sold a gun either. Maybe someone can give advice here, cause
she's going to think I have too many guns next. they are starting to
multiply.

Karl

Well chosen guns have proven to be a good investment, they don't take too
much special care, they don't take much room and they are useful and fun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

I've never sold a gun either. Maybe someone can give advice here, cause
she's going to think I have too many guns next. they are starting to
multiply.

Seal some of your least-used guns, well-oiled in plastic.
Then into a big PVC pipe with capped ends.
Use one of those backhoes to bury it.

Possibly you could scale this concept up to a small tractor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Nice lady, but she IS wrong. Six is not too many.

The six thing is my count. The boss thinks forklifts, gravelies and
gennerators count.

Is this your only backhoe? If so, then nothing else could replace it,
of course. If you have another backhoe, then put a thumb on one of them.
Then you can pick the right machine for the job at hand.

It's the second hoe. But this one is so much bigger, there's lots of jobs
where a small hoe is what you need. The thumb is a good suggestion, I need
that.

I just made a test dig. Oh boy, fun. This thing has double the power, double
the speed, double the reach.

A backhoe doesn't replace any other tractor with a PTO either, so you
can't get rid of any of them.
Nope, you are stuck with them all.
I sold some tractors many years ago and wish I still had a couple of them.
Especially the IH 400 fast hitch and the John Deere A with a nice power
block.

Pete Stanaitis

Thanks everybody.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 May 2010 05:39:45 -0500
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

snip

Your son needs one, no? Must have some landscaping to do with a new
place and such...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

snip

Your son needs one, no? Must have some landscaping to do with a new
place and such...

I just got in for a break. Pulled 50 tree stumps in two hours. The little
hoe couldn't do one without digging a circle around it, took forever. So
much so, that I left stumps in place four years before digging so they'd be
partly rotted. a new toy is fun...

Yea, "The Kid" already wants me to dig in 200 amp 'lectric and water out to
the new shop. And two acres of his six acres is low ground. A big pond is in
the future. He really likes my Koi pond and has plans to out do me.

Now, he's taking sides with mom. He thinks the extra tractors, and mills,
and lathes should be stored at his place. He told me i need to clean up the
place.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Which one of you has the 6 ton trailer and dump truck to pull all that
stiff around?
My kid parks his dump truck at my house and I have the trailer. That
way I can keep all the machines where I can get at them when I want.
You could simply point out to your wife which machines will ge to
which kid when you kick the bucket. That would reduce the count right away.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

[...]

No doubt he'd be willing to keep them well exercised for you, however.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:
(top posting fixed)

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International
Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've
never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

(and excess snipped)

Now, he's taking sides with mom. He thinks the extra tractors, and
mills, and lathes should be stored at his place. He told me i need to
clean up the place.

karl

Which one of you has the 6 ton trailer and dump truck to pull all that
stiff around?
My kid parks his dump truck at my house and I have the trailer. That
way I can keep all the machines where I can get at them when I want.
You could simply point out to your wife which machines will ge to
which kid when you kick the bucket. That would reduce the count right
away.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You don't want to plant the idea in her brain that if
he passes away she can finally tidy the place up! Do that and he'll
have to always be careful standing at the edges of cliffs or stairways,
drinking wine he hasn't poured, using a car that she's just fixed the
brakes on, etc.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

I've never sold a gun either. Maybe someone can give advice here, cause
she's going to think I have too many guns next. they are starting to
multiply.

Karl

Karl,

I think perhaps you are asking the wrong question. I suspect that the proper
question is how much information do you need to trouble your dear Julie
with?

I suspect that Julie would never have questioned how many tractors would be
appropriate to have if you had not mentioned the acquisition of the tractor.

Here at RCM, we are all aware of the value of such a machine to relive the
burdens on today's modern agronomist. Such a tool is very efficient in the
moving of dirt from place to place as well as lifting heavy stuff and
generally improving the ability to turn dirt into food.

This of course leaves you more time to tinker in the shop, and thus stay
away from your darling bride when she prefers to avoid your scrutiny of her
domestic affairs.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Okay. Maybe she just doesn't understand.
Around the guys I hang with, the rule is:

He who has the biggest estate sale wins!

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Tim Wescott wrote:
spaco wrote:
(top posting fixed)

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:
Okay. Maybe she just doesn't understand.
Around the guys I hang with, the rule is:

He who has the biggest estate sale wins!

(snip)
Leaving a church one day I saw a handbill for a seminar: "He who dies
with the most toys -- is still dead". I thought it was a good twist to
the saying, if you want folks looking past the material and to the
important.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

Do you need the money? If answer is no, forget about it.

I've never sold a gun either. Maybe someone can give advice here, cause
she's going to think I have too many guns next. they are starting to
multiply.

I've never sold a gun. Some I have are stinkers. Some I've fixed. I'll never sell some
one junk so if I get burned on a deal, well, it stops with me.

Since I have an CRFFL, I don't even want to get into selling in case the bat boys don't
like my politics. The line between collector and dealer isn't well defined and I try to
stay so far away that it isn't an issue.

Gunbroker.com seems to be the place to go if you have to sell.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

I just got in for a break. Pulled 50 tree stumps in two hours. The little
hoe couldn't do one without digging a circle around it, took forever. So
much so, that I left stumps in place four years before digging so they'd be
partly rotted. a new toy is fun...

The little hoe sips diesel, the big hoe sucks it. Tell wifey that the little hoe is
saving the planet

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:

Okay. Maybe she just doesn't understand.
Around the guys I hang with, the rule is:

He who has the biggest estate sale wins!

I tell my family that after I die, there will be a decent mans auction at my place.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

(snip)
Leaving a church one day I saw a handbill for a seminar: "He who dies
with the most toys -- is still dead". I thought it was a good twist to
the saying, if you want folks looking past the material and to the
important.

Rich people have jumped out of windows to their deaths. Windows in very nice places.

Money will not buy happiness but it sure seems to eliminate many sorrows.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You don't want to plant the idea in her brain that if
he passes away she can finally tidy the place up! Do that and he'll
have to always be careful standing at the edges of cliffs or stairways,
drinking wine he hasn't poured, using a car that she's just fixed the
brakes on, etc.

And make sure that you don't let her buy more buckets. !!!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

I just got in for a break. Pulled 50 tree stumps in two hours. The little
hoe couldn't do one without digging a circle around it, took forever. So
much so, that I left stumps in place four years before digging so they'd be
partly rotted. a new toy is fun...

The little hoe sips diesel, the big hoe sucks it. Tell wifey that the little hoe is
saving the planet

Maybe she's just offended by the thought of her husband out playing with
the local hoes.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 May 2010 13:34:34 -0500
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
Your son needs one, no? Must have some landscaping to do with a new
place and such...

snip
Yea, "The Kid" already wants me to dig in 200 amp 'lectric and water out to
the new shop. And two acres of his six acres is low ground. A big pond is in
the future. He really likes my Koi pond and has plans to out do me.

From what you've said about the "Kid" in the past this sounds like a
good deal. You'll still have your toys available when you really need
them and Julie will cut you some slack

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

spaco wrote:
Okay. Maybe she just doesn't understand.
Around the guys I hang with, the rule is:

He who has the biggest estate sale wins!

(snip)
Leaving a church one day I saw a handbill for a seminar: "He who dies
with the most toys -- is still dead". I thought it was a good twist to
the saying, if you want folks looking past the material and to the
important.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

He who dies with the most toys has had the most fun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/21/2010 11:39 AM, Pete Snell wrote:

"I figure that you would eventually remarry and I don't want some
asshole using my stuff."

She looked at me and said: "What makes you think I'd marry another
asshole?"

OW! That is GREAT!

I just finished replacing a fence gate.
It was my first attempt at this kind of project but I thought that
after sanding and varnishing, it would serve well.

I proudly showed SWMBO.

She sighed and said "Well, as we get older our vision will fade
and it won't matter, I guess."

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 13:33:33 -0700, Winston
wrote:

On 5/21/2010 11:39 AM, Pete Snell wrote:

"I figure that you would eventually remarry and I don't want some
asshole using my stuff."

She looked at me and said: "What makes you think I'd marry another
asshole?"

OW! That is GREAT!

I just finished replacing a fence gate.
It was my first attempt at this kind of project but I thought that
after sanding and varnishing, it would serve well.

I proudly showed SWMBO.

She sighed and said "Well, as we get older our vision will fade
and it won't matter, I guess."

--Winston

Wow, they are everywhere. Mine has been saying all along that she
hates the way I designed the house, a couple of weeks ago she said she
was glad that I took her advice on how to design the house. She's also
been bitch'en that the house is taking too long, two days ago she said
I don't know why your in such a hurry to finish the house, the taxes
will go up.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow, they are everywhere. Mine has been saying all along that she
hates the way I designed the house, a couple of weeks ago she said she
was glad that I took her advice on how to design the house. She's also
been bitch'en that the house is taking too long, two days ago she said
I don't know why your in such a hurry to finish the house, the taxes
will go up.

She is covering all her bases.

No matter what goes wrong in the future, it is your fault, she warned you.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 May 2010 09:57:13 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Another tractor followed me home last night. Its an International Loader
backhoe. Now, Julie wants me to sell one. How is that done? I've never let
one go. But she insists six is too many.

I've never sold a gun either. Maybe someone can give advice here, cause
she's going to think I have too many guns next. they are starting to
multiply.

Seal some of your least-used guns, well-oiled in plastic.
Then into a big PVC pipe with capped ends.
Use one of those backhoes to bury it.

Possibly you could scale this concept up to a small tractor.

Bury them (guns) standing UP, next to something metal, like a fence
post, well pipe etc. Put a decently sealed screw on cap on the top end,
pack as suggested, and put a few hundred rounds on TOP of the weapon in
heat sealed packaging.

Doesnt hurt to include flashlight (sqeeze charger), some matches etc
etc.

And you can do it with a post hole digger. Pull the weapon out of the
stock before bagging, as this makes the weapon much shorter.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/22/2010 10:03 AM, Roger Shoaf wrote:

Wow, they are everywhere. Mine has been saying all along that she
hates the way I designed the house, a couple of weeks ago she said she
was glad that I took her advice on how to design the house. She's also
been bitch'en that the house is taking too long, two days ago she said
I don't know why your in such a hurry to finish the house, the taxes
will go up.

She is covering all her bases.

No matter what goes wrong in the future, it is your fault, she warned you.

As a wise philosopher once said:
"The same people are in every house; only the names are different."

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/2010 10:39 AM, Pete Snell wrote:
Winston wrote:

I just finished replacing a fence gate.
It was my first attempt at this kind of project but I thought that
after sanding and varnishing, it would serve well.

I proudly showed SWMBO.

She sighed and said "Well, as we get older our vision will fade
and it won't matter, I guess."

Ouch!

Indeed.

Very character building, that.