Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OK, this is waaay off topic but .......

I recently made my first batch of yogurt and used a Salton Yogurt
Maker that holds 5 little cups.

Now I want to make a larger quantity and to do this I need a larger
'incubator' but I am a real electrical dunce.

The incubator needs to remain at about 110 – 120 degrees for 8 – 10
hours and my idea is to use some kind of light bulbs to achieve this
but I'm not sure what kind of thermostat I would need to do this.

About 20 years ago I made an oven in which I cooked the paint on
bicycle frames that I made, so I see this as being a somewhat similar
project, except that I think I used some kind of thermostat that
cooked the paint at 180 degrees.

I no longer have this oven and have no idea who advised me as to how
to choose a thermostat. What I did see during one of my searches was
the term 'dimming thermostat' and I would appreciate if you could tell
me whether a 'dimming thermostat' is what I need or, if not, what
would be the appropriate device to use?

TIA.

Lewis

*****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Go to Georgia Quail farms website, they sell egg incubator
thermostats and other parts, that will easily reach this temp range
and hold it within a few degrees.

basilisk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 May 2010 13:55:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I recently made my first batch of yogurt and used a Salton Yogurt
Maker that holds 5 little cups.

Now I want to make a larger quantity and to do this I need a larger
'incubator' but I am a real electrical dunce.

About every two weeks I make a gallon of yogurt and just put a batch
to bed about fifteen minutes ago. I don't use any heat other than that
left over from scalding the milk and make it in four old glass lidded
Mason jars. Scald the milk at about 200F. Pour the hot milk into the
jars. Let it cool to 135-140F. Thin about a cup of yogurt from the
last batch with a bit of reserved scalded milk. Divide that among the
jars and mix. Wrap up the jars well and let stand overnight.

I use a couple pieces of 1" foam cut to make a drum shaped container
as insulation, but find it's not quite enough. A bath towel folded in
half and placed over the foam is just right. I've also used a sleeping
bag successfully.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 17, 10:55*am, " wrote:
[...]

electric back warmer and a cardboard box.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On May 17, 10:55 am, " wrote:
[...]

i made yogurt ONCE, i put an electric heat mat into a (plastic picnic)
cooler and used one of these thermostats that i had on hand.

http://www.antonline.com/p_MTPRTC-GP_729861.htm

it seemed to have worked.
of course i was worried about the fire hazard. seems like a metal enclosure
(maybe the oven idea) would be safer.

b.w.