Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default USB camera for powder check

On Mon, 17 May 2010 03:37:56 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

The thing that scares me the most in my reloading endeavors is a squib. To
visually check every case for the proper amount of powder is inconvenient
and slow. (but better than two in the tube or a hand grenade) I load
/shoot about 1k/month. So, I'm going to mount a small camera that will
display a real-time video that is easy to see from my position operating the
press. I have a five station progressive press and there are a few
powder-check dies available that work very well, but I don't have a station
to spare between the powder dump and the bullet seating. I use a separate
crimp die after the bullet seating. (I did start to design an eight station
press but how obsessive CAN I get?) Get just ONE squib and you'll never
shoot the same, it'll always be in the back of your mind. Thankfully, I've
never had a double-charge!

I can mount the camera on the ram so it's focus it constant or I can mount
it to the press if the camera will auto focus fast enough to be useful.
Ideally, the camera would have it's own LED lighting source.

Any recommendations on a camera or refinement of my idea?

Imagine if the camera took a still at the bottom of the stroke and instantly
compared the image to a "standard" then sounded an alarm if the image was
too far from the standard and locked the press? Again, a powder-check die
would do just that but I would not be able to use my bullet feeder or my
separate crimp die.

I think Ive got a short..very short focus video camera. It originally
was on a microscope. If I can find it Ill check it out and send it to
you.

Btw..all those air cylinders were sold at auction. I hadnt marked each
one individually with my name..so the **** wouldnt let me have the
****ing Crate of brand new air cylinders back.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 May 2010 17:32:20 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

my
sweet load is 2.7 grains of 700x

teeny weenie bitsy amount of powder.....

Gunner, 7.2gr Unique under a 200gr SWC