Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - frustrated and baffled over garage door springs

On May 19, 10:32*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 07:36:00 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote the following:

On May 19, 8:05*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 21:34:10 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote the following:

On May 18, 11:00*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 19:39:05 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote the following:

On May 18, 7:26*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:15:58 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote the following:

On May 18, 8:13*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 2010 01:05:38 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote the following:

Denis G. wrote:
Maybe you could find a way to measure and compare the tension of each
cable with something like this:http://www.landfallnavigation.com/hlpt2.html
(or a DIY version). *Might help to isolate the cause of the problem.

Yeah - a DIM version would be easy since it wouldn't have to be
calibrated - I only need to know when the tensions are equal..

Strum them, Bob. *It'll get you ballpark close, like tuning a bass
guitar string. *(no fish jokes, please)
I heard that this sort of thing causes whale beachings. (cetacean joke)

That only happens when they're precisely 6.8Hz out of tune from each
other, Denis. Otherwise, it increases their endolphins, for fully
sated cetaceans.
Endolphins!?! *I hope that you're not making hormones!

I'm making hormone every chance I can. That's in between screams for
more, which seals d eel.

Aha! Well, that fits with my theories of whale beachings, strumming
tension cables, rock musicians and aquatic frenzy. *Someone in your
neighborhood is probably tuning his garage door cables or playing his
stereo sending subliminal signals and wreaking havoc. *I think that
there are better ways of adjusting garage doors without disrupting the
neighborhood or nearby aquatic life – using the proper measuring
devices and using judicious engineering practices.

Oh, puhleeeze, Mr. D. *A properly tuned garage door string, erm, cable
is well above VLF freqs and is no more disruptive than a poorly played
bass gitfiddle. Besides, GP is over 60 miles from the coast. So THERE!

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.

OK, but don’t blame me if you have more natural disasters on the West
coast. *While you are making your hormones, you could be causing

Nah, I was making whores moan. *Pick up the context, will ya?

Gads! I hope that you don't use your framing hammer for fininhing
work.

sympathetic vibrations in the earth’s crust and causing the earth to
move. * The thought of setting off Mt. St. Helens is equally scary.
These sounds can carry for hundreds of miles:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound
“Whales, elephants, hippopotamuses, rhinoceros, giraffes, okapi, and
alligators are known to use infrasound to communicate over distances—
up to hundreds of miles in the case of whales.

Oh, please. *Whales travel in pods, not cases. And not in transparent
aluminum tanks yet, either. *Scotty told me so.

Reminds me that I need to get a transparent case for my Ipod.

It has also been
suggested that migrating birds use naturally generated infrasound,
from sources such as turbulent airflow over mountain ranges, as a
navigational aid.[10] Elephants, in particular, produce infrasound
waves that travel through solid ground and are sensed by other herds
using their feet, although they may be separated by hundreds of
kilometres.”
If I lived on the West coast, I'd tread lightly.

I will. *Elephants are dangerous to work around.http://fwd4.me/P5W
"And what do you do for a living, sir?"
"Um, er, ah, zookeeper. *Yeah, that's it."

I'm looking for a job, but looking there doesn't seem promising. I
hope that he's using a flashlight and that he has an arc-proof switch
on it. g.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Madeleine L'Engle- Hide quoted text -

garage door torsion springs Jake[_3_] Home Repair 8 December 7th 08 05:17 PM
Two kinds of garage door springs JoeSpareBedroom Home Repair 26 March 23rd 08 06:16 PM
Garage Door Springs jeff37 Home Repair 5 September 10th 07 06:28 PM
Garage Door Springs Daryl Home Repair 16 February 15th 06 08:15 PM
Garage door torsion springs. Rich Home Repair 24 October 11th 04 12:40 PM