Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cutting nylon

I need to cut a gentle curve through the long dimension of several
1/2"x1/2"x1" pieces of hard nylon stock (making soft jaws for bending
pliers). I tried using a bandsaw and the two pieces welded together
behind the blade. Is there a lubricant I can use that will keep the
stuff from melting while I cut it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Mouse wrote:

I need to cut a gentle curve through the long dimension of several
1/2"x1/2"x1" pieces of hard nylon stock (making soft jaws for bending
pliers). I tried using a bandsaw and the two pieces welded together
behind the blade. Is there a lubricant I can use that will keep the
stuff from melting while I cut it?

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine. That's water if you don't get the
silly. Compressed air should also work, and be less messy (but loud).
Cutting (blade speed) slower might also do it.

Or, use a coping saw (which is basically an extreme case of slowing it
down, by changing to a handsaw).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mouse" wrote in message
I need to cut a gentle curve through the long dimension of several
1/2"x1/2"x1" pieces of hard nylon stock (making soft jaws for bending
pliers). I tried using a bandsaw and the two pieces welded together
behind the blade. Is there a lubricant I can use that will keep the
stuff from melting while I cut it?

Compressed air might even work and be less messy than other options.

The "weld" is not very deep and can probably be split apart if you scrape
the edge a bit, or if you have an edge that did not share the same saw pass.

Another trick is to place a layer of masking tape between the layers where
you cut through the two pieces.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
"Mouse" wrote in message
I need to cut a gentle curve through the long dimension of several
1/2"x1/2"x1" pieces of hard nylon stock (making soft jaws for bending
pliers). I tried using a bandsaw and the two pieces welded together behind
the blade. Is there a lubricant I can use that will keep the stuff from
melting while I cut it?

Less TPI

Yep about 3 or 4 TPI should do fine.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:35:12 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote the following:

"Mouse" wrote in message
I need to cut a gentle curve through the long dimension of several
1/2"x1/2"x1" pieces of hard nylon stock (making soft jaws for bending
pliers). I tried using a bandsaw and the two pieces welded together behind
the blade. Is there a lubricant I can use that will keep the stuff from
melting while I cut it?

Less TPI

Fewer filling.

--
Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change.
-- Andre Gide
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine.

You do realize that chemical is the leading greenhouse gas, right?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:00:20 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine.

You do realize that chemical is the leading greenhouse gas, right?

It's much worse than that. Take a look at http://www.dhmo.org/. Browse
around the site a little, and you will soon be convinced that we must
ban this controversial substance.
--
RoRo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine.

You do realize that chemical is the leading greenhouse gas, right?

Jon

Oh My God! Why isn't there a law banning it?

John B. Slocomb
(johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:34:12 -0400, Mouse wrote:

I need to cut a gentle curve through the long dimension of several
1/2"x1/2"x1" pieces of hard nylon stock (making soft jaws for bending
pliers). I tried using a bandsaw and the two pieces welded together
behind the blade. Is there a lubricant I can use that will keep the
stuff from melting while I cut it?

Coarser teeth on the blade; slower cutting speed.

John B. Slocomb
(johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote the following:

Ecnerwal wrote:

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine.

You do realize that chemical is the leading greenhouse gas, right?

It's dangerous as hell in its solid (frozen) form, its liquid normal
form, and its vaporous form. It should be banned now!

--
Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change.
-- Andre Gide
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine.

You do realize that chemical is the leading greenhouse gas, right?

Jon

Oh My God! Why isn't there a law banning it?

Maybe the Tea Party will take that up as a campaign goal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that John B. Slocomb fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 16 May 2010 19:10:40 +0700:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/15/2010 8:00 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Ecnerwal wrote:

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine.

You do realize that chemical is the leading greenhouse gas, right?

It is most destructive when combined with KANO.
Kinetically Activated Nitrogen Oxygen.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Henry" wrote in
:

wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine.

You do realize that chemical is the leading greenhouse gas, right?

Jon

Oh My God! Why isn't there a law banning it?

Maybe the Tea Party will take that up as a campaign goal.

Can't make tea without it...

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:
"Mike Henry" wrote in
:

wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine.

You do realize that chemical is the leading greenhouse gas, right?

Jon

Oh My God! Why isn't there a law banning it?

Maybe the Tea Party will take that up as a campaign goal.

Can't make tea without it...

Doug White

Quite true but it's so much more dangerous as the DHMO has to be boiling
or nearly so for good results. Surprising that anyone take the risks at
all in the first place but they then go on and often add an animal
derived emulsion, sometimes plant derived disaccharides, then quaff the
stuff in quantity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-16, Mouse wrote:
I need to cut a gentle curve through the long dimension of several
1/2"x1/2"x1" pieces of hard nylon stock (making soft jaws for bending
pliers). I tried using a bandsaw and the two pieces welded together
behind the blade. Is there a lubricant I can use that will keep the
stuff from melting while I cut it?

Was this a woodworking only bandsaw?

If capable of metalworking speeds:

1) Set to the slowest speed it has.

2) Put in a brand new sharp blade.

3) Don't push too hard.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:00:01 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Mouse wrote:

I need to cut a gentle curve through the long dimension of several
1/2"x1/2"x1" pieces of hard nylon stock (making soft jaws for bending
pliers). I tried using a bandsaw and the two pieces welded together
behind the blade. Is there a lubricant I can use that will keep the
stuff from melting while I cut it?

DiHydrogenMonOxide should do fine. That's water if you don't get the
silly. Compressed air should also work, and be less messy (but loud).
Cutting (blade speed) slower might also do it.

Or, use a coping saw (which is basically an extreme case of slowing it
down, by changing to a handsaw).

Nylon is also fairly hygroscopic and would likely swell some with
exposure to water. Probably not important for your sawing operation.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that John B. Slocomb fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 17 May 2010 14:30:00 +0700:

Oh My God! Why isn't there a law banning it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide

I guess I forgot the :-)

Yah, I got it, just thought I'd show others how close to having a law
against it we were.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Nylon bearings? donh Home Repair 11 October 14th 06 03:48 PM
Lapping nylon [email protected] Metalworking 14 May 9th 06 04:02 AM
What kind of grease for nylon/nylon and nylon/metal lubrication? Peter UK diy 7 July 7th 05 02:59 PM
Nylon Carpets andrewpreece UK diy 13 April 29th 05 09:45 PM
Can I dye nylon? Rich UK diy 6 February 8th 05 06:36 PM