DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why Are More People Starting To Agree With Jon Banquer? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/303116-re-why-more-people-starting-agree-jon-banquer.html)

David R.Birch May 15th 10 10:55 PM

Why Are More People Starting To Agree With Jon Banquer?

Ed Huntress wrote:

Try confining yourself to some simple programs for a while, and see how you
feel about it. Until I lost it a couple of years ago I used to drag out
Generic CADD from time to time, even though I had the full version of Ashlar
Vellum on my computer. It was refreshing.

And I've written entire articles in Notepad. It can be like a breath of
fresh air. One little breath, but it's good. d8-)

Before I bought my first computer, my sister gave me two floppies with
Word Perfect 4.0 on them and told me to buy something that would run
it. My first CAD program fit on one floppy.

David

Ed Huntress May 15th 10 11:46 PM

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

Try confining yourself to some simple programs for a while, and see how
you feel about it. Until I lost it a couple of years ago I used to drag
out Generic CADD from time to time, even though I had the full version of
Ashlar Vellum on my computer. It was refreshing.

And I've written entire articles in Notepad. It can be like a breath of
fresh air. One little breath, but it's good. d8-)

Before I bought my first computer, my sister gave me two floppies with
Word Perfect 4.0 on them and told me to buy something that would run it.
My first CAD program fit on one floppy.

David

As PV feels about XyWrite (and I generally agree), that's how I felt about
Word Perfect 5.0. For me, that was the best writer's WP I ever used.

--
Ed Huntress

Wes[_5_] May 16th 10 12:31 AM

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

As PV feels about XyWrite (and I generally agree), that's how I felt about
Word Perfect 5.0. For me, that was the best writer's WP I ever used.

Anyone remember PcWrite? Somewhere I have the source code to it.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

David R.Birch May 16th 10 12:44 AM

Ed Huntress wrote:

Try confining yourself to some simple programs for a while, and see how
you feel about it. Until I lost it a couple of years ago I used to drag
out Generic CADD from time to time, even though I had the full version of
Ashlar Vellum on my computer. It was refreshing.

And I've written entire articles in Notepad. It can be like a breath of
fresh air. One little breath, but it's good. d8-)

Before I bought my first computer, my sister gave me two floppies with
Word Perfect 4.0 on them and told me to buy something that would run it.
My first CAD program fit on one floppy.

David

As PV feels about XyWrite (and I generally agree), that's how I felt about
Word Perfect 5.0. For me, that was the best writer's WP I ever used.

I used WP 5.0 for anything where formatting was necessary, but for
simple letters and notes, I had a fairly sophisticated text editor
built into a shareware file handling utility called Dcom. That and
PKZIP were probably the best value I ever got from registering
shareware. In Dcom under DOS, I could have four ASCII documents open
while cutting and pasting among them.

For CAD, I bought a Logitech package of a bus mouse and LogiCadd, a
rebadged Generic CADD, but right about then I (ahem) ran across a copy
of AutoCad 2.6, so I never really got into Generic CADD.

All this on an 8mHz XT clone that I fiddled with till it was
benchmarking at just under 12mHz.

David

Wes[_5_] May 16th 10 01:12 AM

"David R.Birch" wrote:

For CAD, I bought a Logitech package of a bus mouse and LogiCadd, a
rebadged Generic CADD, but right about then I (ahem) ran across a copy
of AutoCad 2.6, so I never really got into Generic CADD.

I am willing to admit that while taking a college course on CAD, I happened to use the
backup utility in dos to bring a copy of 2.6 home. Took 9 or 10 floppys iirc.

I'm using Alibre now, with a current license.

Michael A. Terrell May 16th 10 03:32 AM

Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

As PV feels about XyWrite (and I generally agree), that's how I felt about
Word Perfect 5.0. For me, that was the best writer's WP I ever used.

Anyone remember PcWrite? Somewhere I have the source code to it.

Ever heard of Speedscript?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

David R.Birch May 16th 10 06:30 AM

Wes wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:

For CAD, I bought a Logitech package of a bus mouse and LogiCadd, a
rebadged Generic CADD, but right about then I (ahem) ran across a copy
of AutoCad 2.6, so I never really got into Generic CADD.

I am willing to admit that while taking a college course on CAD, I happened to use the
backup utility in dos to bring a copy of 2.6 home. Took 9 or 10 floppys iirc.

I'm using Alibre now, with a current license.

I remember reading an article about Autodesk wanting to do an ad
campaign on unusual uses for AutoCad, but the most interesting
subjects mostly turned out to have unlicensed copies...

:^)

David