Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can this be run on single phase?

am loooking for an air compressor for my home shop/garage 30x30 that
I could use with a sand blaster if I want. I found this:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1720299103.html

It said something about a rotary phase converter. I emailed the guy
and he said it has a "schematic" he thought for single phase wiring
inside the motor. This unit came from a business.

Anyways, you are a bunch of smart guys on these matters and I would
like to know what you think.

If it will work, how much is it worth?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , stryped wrote:
am loooking for an air compressor for my home shop/garage 30x30 that
I could use with a sand blaster if I want. I found this:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1720299103.html

It said something about a rotary phase converter. I emailed the guy
and he said it has a "schematic" he thought for single phase wiring
inside the motor. This unit came from a business.

Anyways, you are a bunch of smart guys on these matters and I would
like to know what you think.

I think you should take the advice you were given a few days ago: find out the
CFM requirements of the sandblaster you want to operate, and buy a compressor
capable of supplying that much air.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 15, 6:55*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , stryped wrote:

am loooking for an air compressor for my home shop/garage 30x30 that
I could use with a sand blaster if I want. I found this:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1720299103.html

It said something about a rotary phase converter. I emailed the guy
and he said it has a "schematic" he thought for single phase wiring
inside the motor. This unit came from a business.

Anyways, you are a bunch of smart guys on these matters and I would
like to know what you think.

I think you should take the advice you were given a few days ago: find out the
CFM requirements of the sandblaster you want to operate, and buy a compressor
capable of supplying that much air.

I am trying. I need about 20 cfm.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
am loooking for an air compressor for my home shop/garage 30x30 that
I could use with a sand blaster if I want. I found this:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1720299103.html

It said something about a rotary phase converter. I emailed the guy
and he said it has a "schematic" he thought for single phase wiring
inside the motor. This unit came from a business.

Anyways, you are a bunch of smart guys on these matters and I would
like to know what you think.

If it will work, how much is it worth?

It looks like it has a rotary phase converter, should work on single phase.
Maybe you could look at it and compare the price of that compressor versus a
20CFM similar new compressor. Also consider if you plan to leave the
compressor on all the time, the rotary phase converter will probably have to
run the entire time the compressor is on, unless somehow it only runs the
converter when it needs air. You could always watch eBay for a drive to do
single to do single to 3 phase, the advantage would be to not need to run
the converter all the time.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , stryped wrote:
On May 15, 6:55=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .=

com, stryped wrote:

[...]
Anyways, you are a bunch of smart guys on these matters and I would
like to know what you think.

I think you should take the advice you were given a few days ago: find out the
CFM requirements of the sandblaster you want to operate, and buy a compressor
capable of supplying that much air.

I am trying. I need about 20 cfm.

Or a smaller sandblaster.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-15, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , stryped wrote:
am loooking for an air compressor for my home shop/garage 30x30 that
I could use with a sand blaster if I want. I found this:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1720299103.html

Hmm ... the phrase "Rotary Transformer" is another term for
"rotary converter" -- one way to generate three phase from single phase.

It said something about a rotary phase converter. I emailed the guy
and he said it has a "schematic" he thought for single phase wiring
inside the motor. This unit came from a business.

It should be all that you need to get it running, assuming you
have 240 VAC single phase available.

The nameplate photo is to heavily jpegd to allow me to make out
the voltage -- or the current. But you will probably need 50% more
current than the nameplate current to run it.

Anyways, you are a bunch of smart guys on these matters and I would
like to know what you think.

I think you should take the advice you were given a few days ago: find out the
CFM requirements of the sandblaster you want to operate, and buy a compressor
capable of supplying that much air.

That makes sense.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-15, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , stryped wrote:
[...]

* * * * That makes sense.

* * * * Good luck,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

I have a 100 amp sub panel in my garage. The guy said he would take
1000 for it. Or, I can buy a harbor freight with a gas engine for the
same price but alot smaller tank. Not sure if a gas engine one would
be as good though. I can get a big electric moel at harbor freight for
the same, but I think it had 15 or so cfm at 90.

What would you guys do for a home shop? I would like to be able to
paint on projects and sandblast. I am really wanting to fix up my dual
axle trailer. Right now I have a 5 horse 110 compressor (sealed pump_
from Serars. It just doe snot cut it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 06:12:01 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I have a 100 amp sub panel in my garage. The guy said he would take
1000 for it.

It's not worth anywhere near $1000. $250 would be closer, if you can
see it run.

What would you guys do for a home shop?

I have a single phase 5HP IR T-30 similar to the one in the ad. I
think I paid $350 for it at auction 15 years ago.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-15, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , stryped wrote:

[...]

5 hp 110V would use around 34A so it's very likely that compressor 5hp
rating is the fictitious hp that got the US compressor sellers in a
class action suit for misrepresentation, it's been mentioned on RCM
often. IIRC the normal 110V supply goes to 15A in the US. Likely the
real hp is around 1 to 1.5. In the UK where I now live we have 240V 13A
mains wall sockets and the maximum you can normally run from that is a
true 3hp compressor. Years ago I was told a good rule of thumb for
compressors was 4cfm per hp so that would give you a minimum true 5hp
requirement for your 20cfm, more would be better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-15, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , stryped wrote:

[...]

Gotta remember, those are sears ponies - the miniature type.
operative phrase - It just doe snot cut it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-15, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , stryped wrote:
[...]

Where do you live?

Gunner, with a 10hp Curtis for sale, cheaper than that rig.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31492893267298

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.