Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Remember that o-ring groove in that piston?

Well, I tried to assemble the hole thing and the push rod threaded into my
piston crooked... How is that possible I wondered. I did everything on the
lathe. Oh, ****. No I didn't. My mini lathe was too small so I only
center drilled the piston on the lathe. I drilled it on the drill press. I
really need to throw this damn thing away. The table was tilted side to
side. I straightened that today, but found the table is also slightly
tilted front to back. GACK!!! Its not horrible for punching holes in
sheet, but I guess I need to add a mill drill to my wish list for anything
else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since you haven't thrown the drill press away yet, why not take it on as
a challenge? Tram it in like a vertical mill. If it doesn't, take action.
I know that you won't do that again anyway, since you already owned
up to it here. Since you already had it in the lathe, that would be
the best place to drill the hole. I assume by saying "too small", you
mean "too short"?

One of the worst things that happens to me since the kids grew up and
left home many years ago is that when something goes wrong in the shop,
or if something is lost, I have no one to blame it on but me! Pretty
tough to take sometimes.

Actually, your post is a good wake up call for me, as I have never
trammed my own drill press. Worse than that, I have an X-Y table bolted
to the table 99% of the time, and, on top of that, I have another table,
made of wood, that is T-shaped so it can be quickly clmaped in the vise
mounted to the X-Y table. The leg of the "T" is a piece of 2X4.
How perpendicular can all that be?

Do inquiring (sp?) minds want to know?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Bob La Londe wrote:
Well, I tried to assemble the hole thing and the push rod threaded into
my piston crooked... How is that possible I wondered. I did everything
on the lathe. Oh, ****. No I didn't. My mini lathe was too small so I
only center drilled the piston on the lathe. I drilled it on the drill
press. I really need to throw this damn thing away. The table was
tilted side to side. I straightened that today, but found the table is
also slightly tilted front to back. GACK!!! Its not horrible for
punching holes in sheet, but I guess I need to add a mill drill to my
wish list for anything else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
Well, I tried to assemble the hole thing and the push rod threaded into
my piston crooked... How is that possible I wondered. I did everything
on the lathe. Oh, ****. No I didn't. My mini lathe was too small so I
only center drilled the piston on the lathe. I drilled it on the drill
press. I really need to throw this damn thing away. The table was
tilted side to side. I straightened that today, but found the table is
also slightly tilted front to back. GACK!!! Its not horrible for
punching holes in sheet, but I guess I need to add a mill drill to my
wish list for anything else.

Next time, rough drill it undersized in the press, then bore the hole to
size, with a boring bar in the lathe.

I'm not sure about "too small", though -- unless the tailstock chuck
won't take the drill, you should be able to keep loads light by feeding
slowly.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
Well, I tried to assemble the hole thing and the push rod threaded into
my piston crooked... How is that possible I wondered. I did everything
on the lathe. Oh, ****. No I didn't. My mini lathe was too small so I
only center drilled the piston on the lathe. I drilled it on the drill
press. I really need to throw this damn thing away. The table was
tilted side to side. I straightened that today, but found the table is
also slightly tilted front to back. GACK!!! Its not horrible for
punching holes in sheet, but I guess I need to add a mill drill to my
wish list for anything else.

Next time, rough drill it undersized in the press, then bore the hole to
size, with a boring bar in the lathe.

I'm not sure about "too small", though -- unless the tailstock chuck won't
take the drill, you should be able to keep loads light by feeding slowly.

Actually it has an amazing amount of power for a cheap tiny lathe. HF calls
it a 7 X 10, but I think its really a 7 x 8. Several people on-line have
commented that when they swap out to the 14" bed from The Little Machine
Shop they gain about 6 inches of working length rather than the 4 you would
expect. As soon as they are back in stock I plan to order the longer bed
for it, and turn the old bed into a tail stock parking rest. I still want a
bigger lathe but this little one is handy sometimes.

Now to save that piston... I am thinking I might bore it out further,
hammer in a plug, and re drill it concentrically. Then either drive in a
couple wedge pins or just slap a couple weld tacks on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 13, 6:08*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
...I drilled it on the drill press. *I
really need to throw this damn thing away. *The table was tilted side to
side. *I straightened that today, but found the table is also slightly
tilted front to back. *GACK!!! *...

Long before I found a mill I fixed my cheap drill press by making the
head slide down the column so I didn't need the table, only the
squarer base. It can also be clamped to a large beam or plate to drill
it.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Bore it out oversized and concentric, tap it, and either use a larger
rod, or an internal/external threaded bushing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

(a) Press in a plug -- even doing this in a vise is going to be more
accurate than hammering it in.

(b) How much force on the piston, and which way? If the piston isn't
going to be pulling hard on the rod, a press fit or shrink fit may be
plenty strong enough. Or a light press fit with one of the more
insanely strong Loctites, or epoxy. Or just fill the hole with epoxy &
call it a plug (hmm).

(c) Press, weld (not if it's epoxy, though), _then_ bore out the hole --
and check the outside for concentricity and warps, too.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Well, the little 12 ton air over press would have probably been my tool of
choice too, but I might not have thought of it until too late

(b) How much force on the piston, and which way?

Not all that much. (maybe 20 or 30 if there is a plug up) If the guide rod
is straight it's will have a few pounds of vacuum in one direction as it
draws in material and a few more of pressure as it pushed out material.
Right now its hand operated, but the dimensions are planned for it to be
able to drop into an electric caulking gun. (different piston entirely when
I do that conversion)

If the piston isn't going to be pulling hard on the rod, a press fit or
shrink fit may be plenty strong enough. Or a light press fit with one of
the more insanely strong Loctites, or epoxy. Or just fill the hole with
epoxy & call it a plug (hmm).

I'll have to thank about that. Epoxy would work for strength, but this is
an aluminum hand injector that may be handling liquid media upto about 400
degrees... Ideally the media should never run above about 350, but my
thermal remote tells me its hitting 400 occasionally. You know I bought
that thermal remote for checking the preheat on welding thicker aluminum
plate, and since then I have used it for all kinds of things.

(c) Press, weld (not if it's epoxy, though), _then_ bore out the hole --
and check the outside for concentricity and warps, too.

A few thousandths wouldn't hurt a thing. There is a lot of clearance on
this piston. The o-rings fill the gap. The degree of accuracy for the push
rod to be perpendicular to the piston o-rings is important though. I
already have a rod guide, but can't use it the way it is. If it doesn't go
in and out straight the piston will lose suction or pressure out the back.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

In that case, were it me and had I a welder handy that would work on the
material, I'd bore it out to some (over) size, press a plug, weld, then
do it right.

Which is starting to sound like it's as much work as just making another
piston, if it's fairly simple. Maybe you should put the current one
into the trophy case as a reminder, and just make another one?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I've been thinking that. LOL, but I'm stubborn and I hate to waste any of
my aluminum stock if I can help it. In order to get a decent price on
aluminum I have to order from Discount Steel in Texas or for quantity from
Metals to Go on the east coast. As a result I have to save to make a metal
order and then try and guess what projects I am going to be playing with 6
months from now. LOL. I have enough aluminum rod right now to make plenty,
but like I said I hate to waste it. I actually have an idea right now for
converting this piston for the caulking gun application so maybe its time
for me to step it up a notch and skip the hand operation entirely. Its
just that I wanted to approach this in a stepwise fashion and not get in a
hurry to do too much innovation all at once and wind up with a molten PVC
explosion in my shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Seems to me a drill press out of tram, even with a tilted table, would
only tend to drill larger
holes - not holes at the angle of tilt.

Run out will result in a larger hole... don't get me started on runout.
LOL. A drill bit tends to drill in the direction it is pointed.

Bob Swinney
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Well, I tried to assemble the hole thing and the push rod threaded into my
piston crooked... How is that possible I wondered. I did everything on
the
lathe. Oh, ****. No I didn't. My mini lathe was too small so I only
center drilled the piston on the lathe. I drilled it on the drill press.
really need to throw this damn thing away. The table was tilted side to
side. I straightened that today, but found the table is also slightly
tilted front to back. GACK!!! Its not horrible for punching holes in
sheet, but I guess I need to add a mill drill to my wish list for anything
else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-14, Robert Swinney wrote:
Seems to me a drill press out of tram, even with a tilted table, would only tend to drill larger
holes - not holes at the angle of tilt.

Huh?

Perhaps if the workpiece was being rotated (such as in a lathe
chuck) instead of the bit.

However, if the bit is rotating (as is normal on a drill press)
I can't see how it would enlarge the hole (other than making it slightly
elliptical based on the angle, thus making a very slightly larger major
axis on the surface of the workpiece.) The diameter of the hole along
the axis of the bit will still be circular and as accurate as the bit
can drill anyway. :-)

But the *real* problem often with inexpensive drill presses is
that the force of the drill bit (especially with the usual chisel-point
bits) causes the arm supporting the table to deflect a bit, thus taking
a table which is in tram before you start drilling and forcing it out of
tram while drilling -- and then letting it return to tram when you
release the force. There just is not enough cast iron in the arm, and
not a long enough bearing surface on the column to prevent the
deflection. You can reduce it a bit by using a split-point drill bit,
which reduces the force needed to drive the bit into the workpiece.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564