Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RWL RWL is offline

Default Hydraulic hose question

Would going from a 3/16"ID hose to a 1/4" ID hose make any difference
in how something works? The hydraulic hose that controls the Reeves
drive on my Clausing lathe is 3/16" ID. I could get one from
Clausing, but the local NAPA parts stores can make them up for half
the price. Unfortunately NAPA only goes down to 1/4" ID. Will it
make any difference other than that the system would take an extra
ounce or two of oil to fill it?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RWL" wrote in message
Would going from a 3/16"ID hose to a 1/4" ID hose make any difference
in how something works? The hydraulic hose that controls the Reeves
drive on my Clausing lathe is 3/16" ID. I could get one from
Clausing, but the local NAPA parts stores can make them up for half
the price. Unfortunately NAPA only goes down to 1/4" ID. Will it
make any difference other than that the system would take an extra
ounce or two of oil to fill it?

RWL

I wouldn't give it a second thought, use the 1/4".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The larger hose has less resistance to friction, in the case
of moving fluid. You may get more effective HP out of your
device.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RWL" wrote in message
Would going from a 3/16"ID hose to a 1/4" ID hose make any
difference
in how something works? The hydraulic hose that controls
the Reeves
drive on my Clausing lathe is 3/16" ID. I could get one
from
Clausing, but the local NAPA parts stores can make them up
for half
the price. Unfortunately NAPA only goes down to 1/4" ID.
Will it
make any difference other than that the system would take an
extra
ounce or two of oil to fill it?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On second thought, the actuator might respond more quickly?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Buerste" wrote in message

I wouldn't give it a second thought, use the 1/4".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RWL" wrote in message
Would going from a 3/16"ID hose to a 1/4" ID hose make any difference
in how something works? The hydraulic hose that controls the Reeves
drive on my Clausing lathe is 3/16" ID.....and NAPA only stocks 1/4"
RWL

On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:06:22 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:
I wouldn't give it a second thought, use the 1/4".

Thanks Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On second thought, the actuator might respond more quickly?

Neither thought is applicable here. This is a simple pump-free hydraulic
circuit that connect a control lever to a variable pitch pulley.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-13, RWL wrote:
Would going from a 3/16"ID hose to a 1/4" ID hose make any difference
in how something works? The hydraulic hose that controls the Reeves
drive on my Clausing lathe is 3/16" ID. I could get one from
Clausing, but the local NAPA parts stores can make them up for half
the price. Unfortunately NAPA only goes down to 1/4" ID. Will it
make any difference other than that the system would take an extra
ounce or two of oil to fill it?

For this application -- I see no downside. (No problems with
the fittings at the ends?)

I could see problems in something where the flow rate determined
the speed of something, and the flow was being throttled by the smaller
diameter hose -- but this is not that kind of application. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Would going from a 3/16"ID hose to a 1/4" ID hose make any difference
in how something works?

For this application -- I see no downside. (No problems with
the fittings at the ends?)

Good Luck,
DoN.

Well. That remains to be seen. The man at the counter looked at the
swivel end and said, is that a pipe fitting or a hydraulic fitting and
mentioned something about maybe having to get the correct fitting in.

Going to pick up a tool and cutter grinder tomorrow so a trip to the
NAPA store won't be on the agenda until next week.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 23:13:37 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

Would going from a 3/16"ID hose to a 1/4" ID hose make any difference
in how something works?

For this application -- I see no downside. (No problems with
the fittings at the ends?)

Good Luck,
DoN.

Well. That remains to be seen. The man at the counter looked at the
swivel end and said, is that a pipe fitting or a hydraulic fitting and
mentioned something about maybe having to get the correct fitting in.

Going to pick up a tool and cutter grinder tomorrow so a trip to the
NAPA store won't be on the agenda until next week.

RWL

Which Clausing lathe?

Im still trying to find a vari-drive belt for my Clausing 1500 thats
under the $118 + shipping Clausing wants

Mine blew in half..with an unknown number of bits missing..so cant be
sure of the length

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Im still trying to find a vari-drive belt for my Clausing 1500 thats
under the $118 + shipping Clausing wants

Mine blew in half..with an unknown number of bits missing..so cant be
sure of the length

Gunner

Check over in the Yahoo Clausing group. Somebody there is likely to
know or can tell you how to measure the pulleys. The 5900 and 6300
series seem to take a common belt available from a number of places,
including snowmobile dealers. The debate is whether to use a 22º belt
or a 30º. The angle probably doesn't matter as much as the correct
length.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:54:12 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

Im still trying to find a vari-drive belt for my Clausing 1500 thats
under the $118 + shipping Clausing wants

Mine blew in half..with an unknown number of bits missing..so cant be
sure of the length

Gunner

Check over in the Yahoo Clausing group. Somebody there is likely to
know or can tell you how to measure the pulleys. The 5900 and 6300
series seem to take a common belt available from a number of places,
including snowmobile dealers. The debate is whether to use a 22º belt
or a 30º. The angle probably doesn't matter as much as the correct
length.

RWL

Ive been given 2 numbers..one several inches longer than the other.

If I buy both....it will cost as much as the Clausing cost.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PTD dot NET wrote:

Im still trying to find a vari-drive belt for my Clausing 1500 thats
under the $118 + shipping Clausing wants

Check over in the Yahoo Clausing group.

Ive been given 2 numbers..one several inches longer than the other.

Is there some way to prop open both pulleys to the half way point and
then make a strip of something the same width of the belt that you
could use to get a measurement?

If I buy both....it will cost as much as the Clausing cost.

Gag. I know what you mean. I think the one I bought was about $45
and Clausing wanted somewhere over $100 for the belt.

RWL