Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Second anniversary

It is my second smoke-free anniversary. I can't take credit quite yet
because I was in medically-induced coma for five days and then had
other discomforts that distracted my attention from nicotine
withdrawal. Helluva way to quit, but it worked. I rejected the
Chantrix that was thrust upon me quite strongly in hospital, because
the potential side effects worried me even in my stressed sit. I was
surprised when my cardiologist agreed upon later in-hospital consult,
said "you don't need that" and endorsed my rejection of that
hospital-enouraged course of treatment. We got that call right. That
cardiologist read me five by nine. I kicked cold turkey, he somehow
knew I could and would do that. Right on, Dr. Bankwala!

They say the urge to smoke disappears after 12 years or so. I think
I'd enjoy a smoke right now but I can't do that anymore if I care to
live a while longer.

Most heart attack survivors proclaim resolve to do what they must to
survive longer, but surprisingly few retain that resolve for more than
a few months.

I'm still walkin' my 3 miles every day. I prefer walking outdoors
whenever possible. It was possible today, though I did get rained on
a bit. The spring rain smelled wonderful and I had me Gore-tex jacket
over tee-shirt so I was comfy with light rain, light wind, temp 59.
Being cold and wet purely beats the hell out of being dead.

Mary isn't yet up to full speed but she's getting stronger every day.
She's already out helping others. She's incorrigible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

They say the urge to smoke disappears after 12 years or so. I think
I'd enjoy a smoke right now but I can't do that anymore if I care to
live a while longer.

It didn't take anywhere near that long for desire to go away. Five days ago I celebrated
my 24th aniversity of being smoke free. If I hadn't quit smoking I would have died long
ago.

[snip]

Mary isn't yet up to full speed but she's getting stronger every day.
She's already out helping others. She's incorrigible.

Good news on Mary and a good reason to take care of yourself.

Does Mary normally walk with you?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent! I still haven't quit but have settled into 8 to 10 a day for a
long time now, down from 2 packs a day and most of those just burn-up in the
ask tray. I was smoke-free for a few months but fell off the wagon during a
high stress period. (I don't think there will ever be a low stress period,
it's like trays at the cafeteria, the next one just pops up.)

Walking IS the best! Your 3 miles is quite a walk, I wish my feet and legs
would let me do that but they torture me for a long time after anything more
than a 15-20 minute walk and my 15 year old three-legged dog can't go very
long either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 11, 2:46*am, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

It's been 12 or 13 years for me, I still want a smoke from time to
time but it's kind of an exponential decay thing.

Now I need to start the walking thing.

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 11, 2:46*am, Don Foreman wrote:
It is my second smoke-free anniversary. *

Congradulations!

I found that the desire went away quickly except for certain
situations. An example is working on something where it is chilly for
a hour and then taking a break.

Dan
*

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Congrats ! I've been smoke-free for over 5 years now , and that 12 year
number doesn't apply to everyone . Useta be the smell of smoke made me went
one , now it makes me gag . And I can tell which cars have occupants who are
smoking when I pass them on my bike ... and what they're smoking too .
Followed a big RV down I-40 one day last fall , they must have had a dozen
joints burning from the smell .

--
Snag
Stayed behind them just

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They say the urge to smoke disappears after 12 years or so. I think
I'd enjoy a smoke right now but I can't do that anymore if I care to
live a while longer.

I can patently say this is not true. I'm an alcoholic for the smokes. Light
one near me and its almost torture. I avoid bars etc. This time I'm smoke
free for sixteen years. Last time I was smoke free six years. I hosted a
last work day/bachelor party for a good employee. On the second six pack of
beer, I bummed a smoke. Bought a pack when I went to town for more beer. And
a carton the next day.

Moral of the story. never light even one.

P.S. catch a couple nice ones Saturday. Nothing will help Mary more than a
little fresh walleye.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Congratulations. No one in my family smoked, but my father in law was
a heavy smoker (3 packs a day). He quite 20+ years ago, also due to a
medical scare, and he has not had a cigarette since.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Congratulations.

It's interesting how the smoking addiction doesn't affect everyone. Both
my parents smoked like chimneys for years, yet I have never smoked
cigarettes. I do smoke an occasional cigar, but at an average of 2-3 per
year, that certainly isn't an addiction.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/10/2010 11:46 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
It is my second smoke-free anniversary. I can't take credit quite yet
because I was in medically-induced coma for five days and then had
other discomforts that distracted my attention from nicotine
withdrawal. Helluva way to quit, but it worked.

Fantastic news, Don!

I knew some very strong-willed folks who just weren't able to stop
smoking. (Notice the past tense)

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

They say the urge to smoke disappears after 12 years or so. I think
I'd enjoy a smoke right now but I can't do that anymore if I care to
live a while longer.

It didn't take anywhere near that long for desire to go away. Five
days ago I celebrated my 24th aniversity of being smoke free. If I
hadn't quit smoking I would have died long ago.

Aye, it was about three days for the worst of it for me, then a few
dwindling desires afterwards. That, after a 20 year affair with the sh*t.

Mind you, I quit drinking about the same time, which probably made it
easier.

Those were two of the best decisions I ever made in my life.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-11, Pete C. wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Smoking is, in some way, a way to self medicate. Some people feel
better from smoking and some do not.

There is a genetic link to the "need" to smoke.

Usually there is a correlation between parents smoking and their
children smoking. However, it does not seem to be passed by example:
adopted children's smoking habits do not correlate with smoking of
their adoptive parents, but they do correlate with smoking of the
biological parents.

Almost everyone tries cigarettes (I did) but only some people go on
and continue to smoke.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

My dad quit smoking when my mom was pregnant with my oldest sibling
(something about her quitting, then threatening violence...). He told
me when I was in high school that when someone in the room was smoking
he'd still have the urge to stand next to them and inhale their 2nd-hand
smoke -- this was after 20 years.

I smoked for just two years, and only occasionally at that, right out of
high school and in college. That was almost 30 years ago and I still
don't mind being in a room full of smokers _at all_.

So if you're still wanting to smoke in 2020, don't cave in! When you
first quit you have to constantly decide "no, I'm not going to start
back up right now". I know it took me years (and the occasional
coughing attack after taking a drag) to get past that.

Good to hear that you and yours are doing well.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 04:49:01 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

They say the urge to smoke disappears after 12 years or so. I think
I'd enjoy a smoke right now but I can't do that anymore if I care to
live a while longer.

It didn't take anywhere near that long for desire to go away. Five days ago I celebrated
my 24th aniversity of being smoke free. If I hadn't quit smoking I would have died long
ago.

[snip]

Mary isn't yet up to full speed but she's getting stronger every day.
She's already out helping others. She's incorrigible.

Good news on Mary and a good reason to take care of yourself.

Does Mary normally walk with you?

Wes

Not since Dr. B raised my bar to 3 miles. She was doing 3 miles too,
but not all at once nor at the same pace. At the lake, I often do my
walk alone and then accompany her on hers as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm sad to hear you've had medical problems. But, glad
you're in better (than before) health, and that you're
enjoying life. Congratulations on overcoming dificult odds.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don Foreman" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Does Mary normally walk with you?

Not since Dr. B raised my bar to 3 miles. She was doing 3 miles too,
but not all at once nor at the same pace. At the lake, I often do my
walk alone and then accompany her on hers as well.

Ah, an excellent solution. I hope she is up to her daily walks soon.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

LOL, I thought you were going to say you could tell a Marlboro from a Pall
Mall. October will be 5 years for me as well. I couldn't be tempted with a
cigarette today, but sometimes I dream of a good cigar. Then I wake up. Hmm,
haven't thought about joints, maybe when I'm old and my eyesight begins to
fail.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
They say the urge to smoke disappears after 12 years or so. I think
I'd enjoy a smoke right now but I can't do that anymore if I care to
live a while longer.

I can patently say this is not true. I'm an alcoholic for the smokes.

Light
one near me and its almost torture. I avoid bars etc. This time I'm smoke
free for sixteen years. Last time I was smoke free six years. I hosted a
last work day/bachelor party for a good employee. On the second six pack

of
beer, I bummed a smoke. Bought a pack when I went to town for more beer.

And
a carton the next day.

I have a friend that is a casual smoker. He will smoke several on the
weekends if he is hoisting a few with his mates, but come Monday morning he
walks away and doesn't seem to miss them.

Drives me nuts that the nicotine that keeps me puffing away would have so
little affect on him.

I will quit someday and not go back.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 01:46:51 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote the following:

It is my second smoke-free anniversary. I can't take credit quite yet
because I was in medically-induced coma for five days and then had
other discomforts that distracted my attention from nicotine
withdrawal. Helluva way to quit, but it worked. I rejected the
Chantrix that was thrust upon me quite strongly in hospital, because
the potential side effects worried me even in my stressed sit. I was
surprised when my cardiologist agreed upon later in-hospital consult,
said "you don't need that" and endorsed my rejection of that
hospital-enouraged course of treatment. We got that call right. That
cardiologist read me five by nine. I kicked cold turkey, he somehow
knew I could and would do that. Right on, Dr. Bankwala!

Kudos, Doc. And Congrats to you, Don. Keep up the good work.

They say the urge to smoke disappears after 12 years or so. I think
I'd enjoy a smoke right now but I can't do that anymore if I care to
live a while longer.

Ewwwwwwww! You -want- to smell like a dirty ashtray again? Foo!
I can't stand the smell any more, at all, ever. Cigs, ashtrays, and
smokers reek. (22 years and never once looked back)

Most heart attack survivors proclaim resolve to do what they must to
survive longer, but surprisingly few retain that resolve for more than
a few months.

Mo foos!

I'm still walkin' my 3 miles every day. I prefer walking outdoors
whenever possible. It was possible today, though I did get rained on
a bit. The spring rain smelled wonderful and I had me Gore-tex jacket
over tee-shirt so I was comfy with light rain, light wind, temp 59.
Being cold and wet purely beats the hell out of being dead.

That's very refreshing, isn't it? I clipped some maple branches which
were hanging into the street with the rains here yesterday. I came
inside soaked, but refreshed.

Mary isn't yet up to full speed but she's getting stronger every day.
She's already out helping others. She's incorrigible.

Not even a little corrige? Glad to hear that she's revvin' fine.

--
You will find that the mere resolve not to be useless,
and the honest desire to help other people, will, in
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 06:19:50 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote the following:

Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

They say the urge to smoke disappears after 12 years or so. I think
I'd enjoy a smoke right now but I can't do that anymore if I care to
live a while longer.

It didn't take anywhere near that long for desire to go away. Five
days ago I celebrated my 24th aniversity of being smoke free. If I
hadn't quit smoking I would have died long ago.

Aye, it was about three days for the worst of it for me, then a few
dwindling desires afterwards. That, after a 20 year affair with the sh*t.

Mind you, I quit drinking about the same time, which probably made it
easier.

Yeah, since the two went hand-in-hand far too well. I waited, quitting
smoking 3 years after I sobered up.

Those were two of the best decisions I ever made in my life.

Ditto mine. I'll be 25 years sober in July and was 22 years
smoke-free in Feb. A third good decision was swearing off TV. The 3rd
anniversary was in April.

I've never really had an itch for any of the three since, either. It's
wonderful.

--
You will find that the mere resolve not to be useless,
and the honest desire to help other people, will, in
the quickest and delicatest ways, improve yourself.
-- John Ruskin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Ditto mine. I'll be 25 years sober in July and was 22 years
smoke-free in Feb. A third good decision was swearing off TV. The 3rd
anniversary was in April.

I tried dumping the cable, but they (Comcrap) said my internet would jump up
to $80 a month. *******s.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Because We Carry the Fire? wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

Congrats ! I've been smoke-free for over 5 years now , and that 12
year number doesn't apply to everyone . Useta be the smell of smoke
made me went one , now it makes me gag . And I can tell which cars
have occupants who are smoking when I pass them on my bike ... and
what they're smoking too . Followed a big RV down I-40 one day last
fall , they must have had a dozen joints burning from the smell .

LOL, I thought you were going to say you could tell a Marlboro from a
Pall Mall. October will be 5 years for me as well. I couldn't be
tempted with a cigarette today, but sometimes I dream of a good
cigar. Then I wake up. Hmm, haven't thought about joints, maybe when
I'm old and my eyesight begins to fail.

Your fingers will be too stiff and hurt too much to roll a decent doobie by
then . I recommend a pipe .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

A third good decision was swearing off TV. The 3rd
anniversary was in April.

And didn't you get recently post a link to liveleak? I bet your internet time went up.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message

Congrats ! I've been smoke-free for over 5 years now , and that 12
year number doesn't apply to everyone . Useta be the smell of smoke
made me went one , now it makes me gag . And I can tell which cars
have occupants who are smoking when I pass them on my bike ... and
what they're smoking too . Followed a big RV down I-40 one day last
fall , they must have had a dozen joints burning from the smell .

LOL, I thought you were going to say you could tell a Marlboro from a
Pall Mall. October will be 5 years for me as well. I couldn't be
tempted with a cigarette today, but sometimes I dream of a good
cigar. Then I wake up. Hmm, haven't thought about joints, maybe when
I'm old and my eyesight begins to fail.

Your fingers will be too stiff and hurt too much to roll a decent doobie
by then . I recommend a pipe .

Maybe I'll have some sweet young healthcare worker with soft fingers doing
my bidding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/12/2010 4:08 PM, Wes wrote:
Larry wrote:

A third good decision was swearing off TV. The 3rd
anniversary was in April.

And didn't you get recently post a link to liveleak? I bet your internet time went up.

And that ain't all!

--Winston

Anniversary Carving The Damicos[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 October 11th 08 01:15 PM
ANNIVERSARY BOOKCASE J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 06 02:01 AM
My parents' 60 anniversary. Robatoy Woodworking 7 October 25th 05 04:15 PM
100th Anniversary Asimov Electronics Repair 3 November 24th 04 01:04 PM
FS anniversary planes Steve Knight Woodworking 5 June 22nd 04 02:06 PM