Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oh Fuuuudddgggee.

On Thu, 6 May 2010 11:17:59 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
On 5/6/2010 7:33 AM, Pete Snell wrote:
Winston wrote:

What make and model welder, Pete?
Perhaps we can download a schematic and have a look.
http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

Is it possible the fan's thermostatic control is wired
on the 'line' side of the power switch as we see on page
30 of http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2223r_mil.pdf ?

Thanks Winston. It's a Lincoln Squarewave 275. The switch is
mechanically broken (you can feel it) I'll just have to replace it.

I have been thinking though (uhoh). This welder has the optional power
factor capacitors installed. I should probably discharge them before
poking around in there. What would be the best procedure for that?
(they're big suckers) Or am I worrying about nothing?

Safety First!

I'd clip an incandescent lamp across the phases starting now so that
the caps are reasonably flat by the time the covers come off.

After the covers are off, I'd use a 'shorting stick' across the caps
as insurance. (Wear Protection please)

It's hard to believe how fast you can melt a 2-inch section of screwdriver
blade, isn't it? I hate the sizzling noise as a glob flies by your ear. g

Obviously an observation by a reader rather than an experiencer.
Molten globs of screwdriver make no sizzling sound as they fly by. The
sizzling sound happens when they hit skin and make that distinctive
odor of burnt flesh.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Obviously an observation by a reader rather than an experiencer.
Molten globs of screwdriver make no sizzling sound as they fly by. The
sizzling sound happens when they hit skin and make that distinctive
odor of burnt flesh.

I hate it when smell the burn before I feel it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:

Obviously an observation by a reader rather than an experiencer.
Molten globs of screwdriver make no sizzling sound as they fly by. The
sizzling sound happens when they hit skin and make that distinctive
odor of burnt flesh.

I hate it when smell the burn before I feel it.

Wes

I must have missed that post when Don posted it. I should have asked how
many globs of molten screwdriver have hit Don's skin? I mean, does he have a
lot of experience with molten screwdrivers burning into him? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 May 2010 08:15:18 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:

Obviously an observation by a reader rather than an experiencer.
Molten globs of screwdriver make no sizzling sound as they fly by. The
sizzling sound happens when they hit skin and make that distinctive
odor of burnt flesh.

I hate it when smell the burn before I feel it.

Wes

I must have missed that post when Don posted it. I should have asked how
many globs of molten screwdriver have hit Don's skin? I mean, does he have a
lot of experience with molten screwdrivers burning into him? d8-)

Not a lot. I do eventually learn.

I had a mentor teaching me photography while I was in high school. He
was a teacher of photography and driver training in a high school
different from the one I attended. Stu & Annette were friends of my
parents, Annette and Ma worked together daily in their jobs as nurse
and physician.

Stu's high school had some strobes that crapped out, couldn't find a
service tech that would attempt to repair them. TV repairmen wouldn't
touch them. I'd learned a bit about electronics, so with adolescent
confidence I said I'd fix them. And so I did.

Typical energy of strobes then, circa 50s, was 50 joules though some
were 100 joules. Shorting a cap with a screwdriver dumps that energy
RFN, thousands of kilowatts.

That said, 50 joules is less than the energy of even a .22 LR rimfire
cartridge, but dissipating that in a screwdriver blade does result in
a report like a gunshot and obliteration of the screwdriver blade. It
also rattles the hell out of sleeping parents.

Anyone who has done any overhead welding knows about stink-sizzle. If
the owies are iced quickly enough they're no more than skeeter bites
though they're ugly for a few days and do leave scars.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:

Obviously an observation by a reader rather than an experiencer.
Molten globs of screwdriver make no sizzling sound as they fly by. The
sizzling sound happens when they hit skin and make that distinctive
odor of burnt flesh.

I hate it when smell the burn before I feel it.

Wes

I must have missed that post when Don posted it. I should have asked how
many globs of molten screwdriver have hit Don's skin? I mean, does he have
lot of experience with molten screwdrivers burning into him? d8-)

Not a lot. I do eventually learn.

And it's good for the screwdriver business. d8-)

[...]

Well, my experience with electric melting comes from shorting car batteries.
I do some welding, but never overhead. I never weld anything I can't turn
over.

As for the sound when a glob of molten lead whizzes by, I never recorded it,
but the scary shock of seeing it probably produces a noise of its own in
your head. I'm sure many people here recognize it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 May 2010 09:13:03 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

As for the sound when a glob of molten lead whizzes by, I never recorded it,
but the scary shock of seeing it probably produces a noise of its own in
your head. I'm sure many people here recognize it.

That's the same effect as sonic boom from the passing of a supersonic
aircraft.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Years ago I was developing some film when I noticed that the battery pack for a Honeywell
Strobonar had finished charging. Not thinking too much, I yanked it out of the charger
while my my hand was still slightly moist from a developing chemical that was on it.

Oh chit, in the process of handling it, I made contact with the contacts on the pack
(9.6v) and learned you can get burned by low voltage if your hand has conductive chemicals
wetting it. Yikes! I got a steam burn from it that hurt like he double hockey sticks.

Wes