Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default irrigation water flow rate and nozzle diameter

Most unusual frost/freeze predicted tomorrow. We're looking at winds 18
gusting to 25 with freezing conditions. The strawberries are in bloom.

Standard protocol for still condition frost in strawberry is one sprinkler
every 60 feet by 60 feet with a 9/64 nozzle. At 70 psi you get about .1 inch
per hour and protection down to 27 or 28. This don't get it for wind, you
need a lot more water. There's a convective cooling effect. I need to be in
the .3 inch per hour range.

I can double flow by protecting 1/2 the area and running a sprinkler every
30' by 60' spacing. Not quite there. My particular pump will run 40 9/64th
sprinklers at 70 psi. I don't know flow rate but its around 125 gallon per
minute.

Now for my question, I'm going to run 25 sprinklers on this pump and I need
to bore the ID out to match the pumps flow and get 70 psi. What diameter
should I try? I can't go smaller once bored, but I have time for two
trials. I'm guessing three hours work to remove 25 sprinkler nozzles, bore,
replace, and then test pressure.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
No Name

you should look at your pump chart to determine what your pump will put out.
You can compute the flow rate through an orfice but such that drill bits do
not make round holes your figures will be off. I cannot answer your
question but gave you some info for next time around.
Al

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Follow up. If you search google enough you can find most anything.
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/13-html/13-12.htm

My conclusion from this paper, holding other parameters constant, flow rate
varies with the square root of nozzle diameter.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
m...
you should look at your pump chart to determine what your pump will put
out. You can compute the flow rate through an orfice but such that drill
bits do not make round holes your figures will be off. I cannot answer
your question but gave you some info for next time around.
Al

Yea, my pump chart shows 160 gpm when it was new. I've been pumping a bit of
sand for fourteen years, the impellers are worn. And there are a few minor
system leaks. In short, it don't run as good as it used to. I don't either.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Follow up. If you search google enough you can find most anything.
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/13-html/13-12.htm

My conclusion from this paper, holding other parameters constant, flow rate
varies with the square root of nozzle diameter.

Makes sense, but I'd also bucket-test one before
drilling them all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 7, 10:48*am, Jim Stewart wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
Follow up. If you search google enough you can find most anything.
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/13-html/13-12.htm

My conclusion from this paper, holding other parameters constant, flow rate
varies with the square root of nozzle diameter.

Makes sense, but I'd also bucket-test one before
drilling them all.

Bernoulli teaches that flow rate goes with the squair root of pressure
and squair of area assuming the nosel factor dosen't change
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Follow up. If you search google enough you can find most anything.
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/13-html/13-12.htm

My conclusion from this paper, holding other parameters constant, flow rate
varies with the square root of nozzle diameter.

Makes sense, but I'd also bucket-test one before
drilling them all.

Bernoulli teaches that flow rate goes with the squair root of pressure
and squair of area assuming the nosel factor dosen't change

CORRECTION squair of area should be squair of diameter
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Follow up. If you search google enough you can find most anything.
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/13-html/13-12.htm

My conclusion from this paper, holding other parameters constant, flow
rate
varies with the square root of nozzle diameter.

Makes sense, but I'd also bucket-test one before
drilling them all.

Bernoulli teaches that flow rate goes with the squair root of pressure
and squair of area assuming the nosel factor dosen't change

CORRECTION squair of area should be squair of diameter

I went with the slightly different formula I found. it gave an answer of
11/64. I have a bunch of 3/16 nozzles. So I installed every other one and
bored a few more to 3/16. Worked out just right with two more changed from
9/64 to 3/16 after the first test. I'm all set for tonight.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Follow up. If you search google enough you can find most anything.
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/13-html/13-12.htm

My conclusion from this paper, holding other parameters constant, flow rate
varies with the square root of nozzle diameter.

Makes sense, but I'd also bucket-test one before
drilling them all.

Bernoulli teaches that flow rate goes with the squair root of pressure
and squair of area assuming the nosel factor dosen't change

CORRECTION squair of area should be squair of diameter

CORRECTION 'squair' is spelled 'SQUARE'.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Pipe diameter & flow rate Jim UK diy 22 November 15th 05 11:00 PM
Flow rate of hot water on std cylinder! pauliepie UK diy 30 January 28th 05 12:36 AM
Water minimum flow rate ?? Andrew Mawson UK diy 6 October 30th 04 12:15 AM
Effect of pipe size on water flow rate? Dave UK diy 8 October 1st 04 01:04 PM
Water flow rate problem and Combi boiler Andrew Beck UK diy 15 September 3rd 04 11:00 PM