Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Collision Theory on Mythbusters

On Fri, 07 May 2010 16:48:51 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 07 May 2010 06:16:02 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote the following:

On Thu, 06 May 2010 22:02:07 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Of course. "I reject their implied equality of mass." There, I said
it.

I'll start this off with a "KNOCK ON WOOD". I've driven Suburbans for
a while. The big damn things will move pretty quickly if you're not
afraid to really yank on them. My worst near miss was on a fishing
trip to Ingleside, Texas (in-laws' place). On an unlit highway, came
across a black horse in the middle of the road at night going 65,
pulling a 20' Bayhawk, I swung into the left ditch, then back up on
the road. I never touched the brakes.

Man, you're both smart (not touching the brakes) and lucky (in and out
of a ditch without the usual AOTeakettle Endover Maneuver.)

The maneuver damaged nothing except one of the boat trailer bunks fell
over and I had mud on the left side tires and running board. My wife
screamed for the whole two seconds, or was it me? Somebody was.

I hate it when that happens. bseg

My
youngest son, the Marine, about 8 at the time, got a pretty nasty bump
from banging his head into the left window.

They must make ditches more like swales in Texicus for you to have
driven into and out of it. That wouldn't happen here in OR. They're
24" wide by 18" deep and cut to within a foot of the edge of the
pavement. What goes in, stays in, after stopping rather abruptly.

Yeah, more like 15' wide and 2' deep at the outside, but gentle slope
from the shoulder.

Granted, most housewife type drivers with a phone in their ear would
have collected the horse.

I've seen the picture of the death to a passenger from a deer when the
hoof came though the windshield. A horse might have squozen through
the opening altogether, or just flattened the entire roof on ya. Maybe
not in a Suburpin'.

EMT I knew told of going on a call where a chevette or focus or
something hit a horse. Peeled the top back like a can opener. He
said he reached in the front seat through where the windshield had
been to get to the passenger, thought she was gone. Turned out he was
up to his elbows in horse guts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, swales.

Granted, most housewife type drivers with a phone in their ear would
have collected the horse.

I've seen the picture of the death to a passenger from a deer when the
hoof came though the windshield. A horse might have squozen through
the opening altogether, or just flattened the entire roof on ya. Maybe
not in a Suburpin'.

EMT I knew told of going on a call where a chevette or focus or
something hit a horse. Peeled the top back like a can opener. He
said he reached in the front seat through where the windshield had
been to get to the passenger, thought she was gone. Turned out he was
up to his elbows in horse guts.

Sounds like a cheap movie, starring Nicholas Cage. Did you ever see
"Bringing Out The Dead"? Weird but fun, in a morbid way.

--
Live forever or die in the attempt.
-- Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

About 5 min. once. Never sat through it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Beryl wrote:
Bob F wrote:
T.Alan Kraus wrote:
It's the media that feeds this falsehood.

Ivan Vegvary
Not just the media but in California the DMV in their driver's
license booklet perpetrates the myth, but what can one expect from a
government agency...

Years ago a friend in Massachusetts failed the drivers license test
because of the True or False question "True or False - Fatique
reduces reaction time". The state license people insisted it was
true. The MIT student said it was false.

In California, you can miss, I think, 3 questions and still pass the
written. The MIT student must have screwed up more than just the one
question.

But that question threw him over the limit. And he WAS right. He should have
passed.

Mythbusters stuff steamer Metalworking 39 November 30th 08 01:45 AM
Mythbusters sighting Jim Stewart Metalworking 36 November 30th 07 03:45 PM
B&Q Collision Andy Hall UK diy 2 July 2nd 06 12:58 PM
OT - Humor - Home Depot Collision no(SPAM)vasys Woodworking 1 June 3rd 06 05:26 PM
Mythbusters and the surplus store Jim Stewart Metalworking 3 December 28th 03 07:08 AM