Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Collet closer

I won this in a liquidation auction (almost all prices sucked).

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp.../1258.jpg.html

This lot 1258 includes a coller closer.

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/5/2010 3:59 PM, Ignoramus22564 wrote:

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

Looks like the block that the link attached to is missing too, but
that's an easy part to make. That's a J.F.K. closer if I'm not mistaken.

It should adapt to your Clausing with minimum hassle, so long as the
tube is the right length. I made a tube extension once for a friend that
scored a deal on a closer with a tube around 2.5" too short. Not a
terribly big deal if you are comfortable with single point threading.
Just be sure to Loctite the extension into the main tube!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-05, Ignoramus22564 wrote:
I won this in a liquidation auction (almost all prices sucked).

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp.../1258.jpg.html

This lot 1258 includes a coller closer.

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

*Two* nose pieces -- the one which provides the taper for
closing the collets, and the one which protects the OD of the L-00 nose,
and provides force to pop the taper adaptor out when it is time to go
back to chucks.

Aside from this, you will probably need to make an adaptor for
the back end of the spindle which looks like a gear which has had its
teeth turned mostly off -- a series of square bottomed notches around
the OD which engage an lever which prevents the tube from rotating
relative to the spindle (unless you already have this on your lathe, I
forget what the photos showed). You will also need to make something
which that link pivots on and which is firmly mounted to the headstock
casting to give something to pivot the lever on.

And -- the most important possible problem is whether the tube
is the right length for your spindle. I took one from a 2-1/4x8 spindle
nose and moved it to a L-00 spindle (same machine, swapped spindles too)
and had to make an extension tube which screwed into the existing tube,
added about an inch to the drawtube length, and provided the proper
threads for the collet at the other end. Loctited it into the original
tube.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/5/2010 9:52 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Aside from this, you will probably need to make an adaptor for
the back end of the spindle which looks like a gear which has had its
teeth turned mostly off -- a series of square bottomed notches around
the OD which engage an lever which prevents the tube from rotating
relative to the spindle

I forgot to address this part. It's not clear from the photo if he has
the right pieces, but the J.F.K. closer uses a pin parallel to the
spindle axis that engages holes on the side of the adapter.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/6/2010 8:48 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:

I forgot to address this part. It's not clear from the photo if he has
the right pieces, but the J.F.K. closer uses a pin parallel to the
spindle axis that engages holes on the side of the adapter.

Of course, that's assuming it -is- a J.F.K. closer, I can't quite tell....

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22564 wrote:

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

When you get the MT4.5 adaptor and a L00 nose protector you likely will get it to work.

Here is the problem. I'm using a home made drawbar set up and it works but there is no
place left for a micrometer stop for accurate turning to length.

I'd be better off with a nose mounted collet chuck if I had the money to buy a set up.
That would leave room on the bed for the micrometer stop.

I have a 6903 so we are talking about the same situation at the spindle end.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 May 2010 18:06:25 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Ignoramus22564 wrote:

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

When you get the MT4.5 adaptor and a L00 nose protector you likely will get it to work.

Here is the problem. I'm using a home made drawbar set up and it works but there is no
place left for a micrometer stop for accurate turning to length.

I'd be better off with a nose mounted collet chuck if I had the money to buy a set up.
That would leave room on the bed for the micrometer stop.

I have a 6903 so we are talking about the same situation at the spindle end.

Wes

Wes, I'm lost. My micrometer stop/2" travel indicator clamp to the
ways and work against the side of the apron. They don't interfere at
all with my homemade handwheel collet closer. Got a pic?

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 May 2010 18:59:58 -0500, Ignoramus22564
wrote:

I won this in a liquidation auction (almost all prices sucked).

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp.../1258.jpg.html

This lot 1258 includes a coller closer.

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

There is a part that normally goes on the ass end of the spindle, that
"mates" with the collet closer body and provides for adjustment and
locking.

You also will likely need to make an extension for the draw tube itself
Note its threaded 1.245-20...and you can then silver solder the adapter
to the original after a good cleaning..

I cant say what is missing, probably the nose piece. All my lathes have
a 5C spindle nose except for the 1500 Clausing and I dont use 5C in it.

I do have some...some 5C adapters for various lathes..but until you find
out what your spindle nose is.....shrug

I also have some collet closer bodies and tubes that dont fit my lathes
but can be fit to many others.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus22564 wrote:

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

When you get the MT4.5 adaptor and a L00 nose protector you likely will get it to work.

Here is the problem. I'm using a home made drawbar set up and it works but there is no
place left for a micrometer stop for accurate turning to length.

I'd be better off with a nose mounted collet chuck if I had the money to buy a set up.
That would leave room on the bed for the micrometer stop.

I have a 6903 so we are talking about the same situation at the spindle end.

Wes

Wes, I'm lost. My micrometer stop/2" travel indicator clamp to the
ways and work against the side of the apron. They don't interfere at
all with my homemade handwheel collet closer. Got a pic?

Pete Keillor

I'll post one tomorrow. I have the 4 jaw on atm with some work chucked.

I have to go in to work early tomorrow so I'm hitting the rack right after I eat dinner.

Do you have a picture of your setup? The email address is a real one. GMail must have
some awesome spam filters! I've recieved one piece of spam in a month. Of course it
might that be no one can get to me.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I won this in a liquidation auction (almost all prices sucked).

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp.../1258.jpg.html

This lot 1258 includes a coller closer.

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

There is a part that normally goes on the ass end of the spindle, that
"mates" with the collet closer body and provides for adjustment and
locking.

Yep!

You also will likely need to make an extension for the draw tube itself
Note its threaded 1.245-20...and you can then silver solder the adapter
to the original after a good cleaning..

Yep! Or just Loctite it. Easier to undo if you get a lathe
which it fits properly.

I cant say what is missing, probably the nose piece. All my lathes have
a 5C spindle nose except for the 1500 Clausing and I dont use 5C in it.

I do have some...some 5C adapters for various lathes..but until you find
out what your spindle nose is.....shrug

His is a MT 4-1/2 for the Clausing L-00 spindle.

I also have some collet closer bodies and tubes that dont fit my lathes
but can be fit to many others.

Useful.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus22564 wrote:

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

When you get the MT4.5 adaptor and a L00 nose protector you likely will get it to work.

Here is the problem. I'm using a home made drawbar set up and it works but there is no
place left for a micrometer stop for accurate turning to length.

[ ... ]

Wes, I'm lost. My micrometer stop/2" travel indicator clamp to the
ways and work against the side of the apron. They don't interfere at
all with my homemade handwheel collet closer. Got a pic?

[ ... ]

I'll post one tomorrow. I have the 4 jaw on atm with some work chucked.

I have to go in to work early tomorrow so I'm hitting the rack right after I eat dinner.

I think that the stop he is talking about needing is the
workpiece stop which fits inside the collets, not the carriage travel
stop. The stop in question threads into the internal threads in the
back of the collet while the drawtube threads over the external threads.

I suspect that his homemade drawtube is using the internal
threads, thus precluding the use of a collet workpiece stop.

I wonder whether his spindle has the 1-3/8" bore needed to pass
a drawtube which works with the external threads -- and passes the 1"
diameter workpiece through the collet, spindle and drawtube?

Look at eBay auction # 300373470921 to see one example of the
type of stop in question. This one is for a 16C collet instead of a 5C,
but the principle is the same.

Auction # 260583925552 is a 5C one similar to what I have. You
can turn the end down when using the smaller collet sizes, and then just
get some allthread in the right size to make more at need.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus22564 wrote:

[...]

Ahh.. I think DoN got it in the next post. Yeah, if you're talking
about the 5C stops, mine works because I made the draw tube in the
normal manner of 4140 (which doesn't single point thread that pretty
as I recall). Here's some old dropbox links:

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...5CComplete.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...oj-5CParts.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...j-5CCloser.txt

Here's the stop I was referring to, obviously not what you were
talking about:

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...s/CarrStop.txt
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...StopAssemb.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...rrStopDial.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...arrStopDis.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...arrStopMic.jpg

I have one of those 5C stops, but have never used it. On the other
hand, I use the one pictured a fair bit.

Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus22564 wrote:

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

When you get the MT4.5 adaptor and a L00 nose protector you likely will get it to work.

Here is the problem. I'm using a home made drawbar set up and it works but there is no
place left for a micrometer stop for accurate turning to length.

I'd be better off with a nose mounted collet chuck if I had the money to buy a set up.
That would leave room on the bed for the micrometer stop.

I have a 6903 so we are talking about the same situation at the spindle end.

Wes

Wes, I'm lost. My micrometer stop/2" travel indicator clamp to the
ways and work against the side of the apron. They don't interfere at
all with my homemade handwheel collet closer. Got a pic?

Pete Keillor

You have a Rockwell. I have a Clausing 6903 the shorter version of the 6913 that Iggy
has. BTW, thanks for posting the pictures.

http://www.garage-machinist.com/usen...04924_crop.jpg

http://www.garage-machinist.com/usen...C04926_VGA.jpg

That shows how much room I would have when machining near the collet face.

There is all of two inches left and the gearbox is at about the same level as the apron.

http://www.garage-machinist.com/usen...19_drawbar.jpg

My humble but lovable draw bar. Wally world 2 1/2 lb weight plate purchased years ago for
a hand wheel. Needle bearing and washers from Mc Masters and two spacers. The original
spacer was just too darn short to get a good grip on the hand wheel.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes, awesome job on the collet closer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19925 wrote:

Wes, awesome job on the collet closer.

Thanks. The keyway is a bit rough and the protector could have been .040" longer but it
gets the job done. The nose protector does a fine job of prying the 4 1/2 MT to 5C
adaptor out of the spindle taper so it was worth the effort.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus22564 wrote:

[...]

Ah, now I get it. Thanks for the photos.

Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19925 wrote:

Wes, awesome job on the collet closer.

Now you can see why I recommend a collet chuck. Oh well, for now I use the top slide.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-10, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus19925 wrote:

Wes, awesome job on the collet closer.

Now you can see why I recommend a collet chuck. Oh well, for now I use the top slide.

So, do you use your closer?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-10, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus19925 wrote:

Wes, awesome job on the collet closer.

Now you can see why I recommend a collet chuck. Oh well, for now I use the top slide.

So, do you use your closer?

Lock the cariage, turn compound to 90 degrees and use the handwheel. You have to feed 2x
due to how it is marked.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 May 2010 20:49:05 -0500, Ignoramus20711

On 2010-05-10, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus19925 wrote:

Wes, awesome job on the collet closer.

Now you can see why I recommend a collet chuck. Oh well, for now I use the top slide.

So, do you use your closer?

Ig, I'll bet he does. I know it's by far my favorite way to hold
anything that'll fit. I have never used a pot collet yet. If the
stock is sized right, collets hold better with less marring of the
finish, little runout, and they're fast. Otherwise I use my 4 jaw, not
having a decent 3 jaw.

Pete