Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are these cute lietle Kaiser things for? Flycutters?

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 09:45:12 -0500, Ignoramus4389
wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

I'm guessing they go on a boring bar. Do they have internal threads?

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

I'm guessing they go on a boring bar. Do they have internal threads?

Yep... threads inside...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

I'm guessing they go on a boring bar. Do they have internal threads?

Yep... threads inside...

Here you go... http://www.bigkaiser.com/boring-kits.php
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

As I recall..and I may well be wrong.....

They are the replacement ends for a larger group of units, boring bars,
boring heads and so forth.

They were commonly used in automated machining as "quick replacement"
heads. If you busted an insert..you simply replaced it with another very
quickly. The advantage was that each was exactly the same size as the
privious unit, so didnt need to retouch your tooling offsets

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

Hey Iggy,

Look like boring bar tips, with a coolant hole.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4389" wrote in message
These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

They're replaceable tips for BIG Kaiser's modular boring system.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4389 wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

Those are for attaching to a boring bar shank that you still need to buy or find in
whatever haul you made this time.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-03, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus4389 wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

Those are for attaching to a boring bar shank that you still need to buy or find in
whatever haul you made this time.

Or I could make it, right? It sounds like these are kind of
interesting little things.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4389 wrote:

Those are for attaching to a boring bar shank that you still need to buy or find in
whatever haul you made this time.

Or I could make it, right? It sounds like these are kind of
interesting little things.

I think you could make the other side just fine. You have the machines.

I guess the idea is if the insert blows out and you catch it in time you can re-use the
bar with a new head. Usually the insert blows out, the machine is too dumb (no load
monitoring) and the head is chewed up and the bar is bent or broken. Operator nowhere
near to hit the stop button. But that is where I work.

Now I supose you could have a lh and rh head and use it on the same bar shank but how much
does that really save? I don't get it.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:16:36 -0500, Ignoramus4389

On 2010-05-03, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus4389 wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

Those are for attaching to a boring bar shank that you still need to buy or find in
whatever haul you made this time.

Or I could make it, right? It sounds like these are kind of
interesting little things.

Ayup. Simply turn, then thread a proper bit of rod and screw on the
head. Doesnt even need to be hollow if you are not going to be pumping
coolant up the bar.

You did good. Get anymore like that and drop me an email. Id sure make
them and Id pump coolant up them.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-03, Ignoramus4389 wrote:
These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

Hmm ... they look like screw-on insert heads for boring bars to
me.

Ones designed to bore to the bottom of a blind hole, if you have
CNC or some other way to reliably stop the travel at the same point
every pass.

Looks as though you have at least three sizes there --
determined by the offset from the shank which would be a continuation of
the cylindrical part.

Perhaps the hole is designed for flowing coolant through a
hollow boring bar and to the insert.

Any clue what thread is in the cylindrical end?

I would kind of like having those. They look a reasonable size
for my 12x24" lathe.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

I'm guessing they go on a boring bar. Do they have internal threads?

Yep... threads inside...

Here you go... http://www.bigkaiser.com/boring-kits.php

O.K. For boring head use, not lathe use, and the expensive
parts are not with the insert heads. (Things like the BT-40 holder, the
boring head, and the (less expensive) collection of shanks.. But they
could be used in a standard boring head or a lathe as well with a bit of
creative part making.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

These are pretty small, they are the size of a quarter, roughly.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/kaiser.jpg

I'm guessing they go on a boring bar. Do they have internal threads?

Yep... threads inside...

Here you go... http://www.bigkaiser.com/boring-kits.php

O.K. For boring head use, not lathe use, and the expensive
parts are not with the insert heads. (Things like the BT-40 holder, the
boring head, and the (less expensive) collection of shanks.. But they
could be used in a standard boring head or a lathe as well with a bit of
creative part making.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Those kits are "universal" Don..you can use them as lathe bits OR mill
boring head bits.

Simple enough to make shanks.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-04, DoN. Nichols wrote:
O.K. For boring head use, not lathe use, and the expensive
parts are not with the insert heads. (Things like the BT-40 holder, the
boring head, and the (less expensive) collection of shanks.. But they
could be used in a standard boring head or a lathe as well with a bit of
creative part making.

They could be used on a lathe. The the thread is not metric, I could make a
holder bar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:16:18 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:16:36 -0500, Ignoramus4389

Or I could make it, right? It sounds like these are kind of
interesting little things.

Ayup. Simply turn, then thread a proper bit of rod and screw on the
head. Doesnt even need to be hollow if you are not going to be pumping
coolant up the bar.

You did good. Get anymore like that and drop me an email. Id sure make
them and Id pump coolant up them.

Thread grind a nice long bit of carbide bar :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 May 2010 19:23:31 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:16:18 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:16:36 -0500, Ignoramus4389

Or I could make it, right? It sounds like these are kind of
interesting little things.

Ayup. Simply turn, then thread a proper bit of rod and screw on the
head. Doesnt even need to be hollow if you are not going to be pumping
coolant up the bar.

You did good. Get anymore like that and drop me an email. Id sure make
them and Id pump coolant up them.

Thread grind a nice long bit of carbide bar :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Indeed. Some people owe me favors who can do this....VBG

Gunner

Cute tool Maxwell Lol Woodworking 9 January 2nd 10 10:53 PM
My Dick Smells Like Parmesan Cheese due to poor hygiene, Officer D. Kaiser, M.F.A.. Larry Blanchard Woodworking 0 May 17th 06 07:02 PM
OT cute little chicks Bob May Metalworking 5 April 3rd 05 07:53 PM