Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Product Liability Insurance

rangerssuck wrote:

It depends almost entirely on:

1) How much the corporation has in assets
2) How much the person has in assets

I'm with you on the first two.

3) How vicious the lawyer is

What is the point there? How many lawyers are going to waste their time if #1 and #2
don't have sizable assets?

At least that is how it was explained to me. I do not carry product
liability insurance. When I feel that there is a possibility that a
product I am designing has the potential to do harm, I insist that, as
a term of my contract, that the client names my company AND me
personally as "additional insureds" on THEIR policy.

There is an idea but what are their policy limits, exclusions, ect, ect, ect. Fine print
stuff can get you creamed.

Nine or so years ago, I was approached to do design work I once performed when I was
employed by a spun off subsidiary of a fortune 500 company. The thought of doing it for
two guys running shoestring operation (former employees of the firm I used to work at)
scared me off. I don't have a lot of assets but I have years of working life left.
Remember Goldman dogging OJ's arse to get satisfaction? Judgements are forever. Maybe
that is what you meant by vicious.

Once you turn something loose, you have no control over how it is used. I never was
concerned when I worked at EP and ET because I was there to monitor things and correct
anything that could be a safety consideration.

Wes