DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Emerold Ash Borer (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/302335-emerold-ash-borer.html)

Karl Townsend April 30th 10 01:44 PM

Emerold Ash Borer

Emerald Ash Borer is in the news again. Looks like I got a year or two but
this pest is coming to MN. We have a couple high value ash trees.

Anyway, I spent some time investigating. Trunk injections of insecticide are
the way to go. Because I have a restricted use pesticide applicator's
license, the product can be purchased inexpensively.

The trunk injector system is a different matter. They ask way to much $ for
what you're getting. I'll look at building my own but buy the injector
plugs: http://www.arborjet.com/products/arborplug.htm

Just curious, anybody else already done this?

Karl

[email protected] April 30th 10 02:19 PM

Emerold Ash Borer

Nope - not involved in tree injection.

I live in Metro Detroit - ground zero for the Ash Borer is about 20
miles to the west of me. We purchased and planted an ash tree just
before the issue became big news locally (years before the borer was
identified) and the nurserys quit selling ash trees. I treat my tree
every spring with BayerAdvanced Tree & Shrub - a systemic insecticide,
diluted and poured on the ground around the base of the tree. So far
so good but from what I understand, the borer does not tend to attack
young trees.
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-sh...dscape-formula

I would get on the preventative program before they are in your
neighborhood or else your tree could be toast before you realize it
(yes, I realize that you are in the farming/orchard business). The
borer drills a "D" shaped hole thru the bark, hole is about 1/8 inch
in dia.

Karl Townsend April 30th 10 03:42 PM

Emerold Ash Borer

I spent quite a bit of time reading research reports last night... Bottom
line, results with soil drench insecticide is variable with best results on
small trees. Direct injection puts more systemic insecticide on target with
dramatically better results on large trees. I got a big tree directly south
of my home about twenty feet from the door. Shades the house all day. I'd
really hate to lose this guy.

Karl

David Courtney April 30th 10 04:02 PM

Emerold Ash Borer

news.com...

wrote:
Emerald Ash Borer is in the news again. Looks like I got a year or two
but
this pest is coming to MN. We have a couple high value ash trees.

Anyway, I spent some time investigating. Trunk injections of insecticide
are
the way to go. Because I have a restricted use pesticide applicator's
license, the product can be purchased inexpensively.

The trunk injector system is a different matter. They ask way to much $
for
what you're getting. I'll look at building my own but buy the injector
plugs:http://www.arborjet.com/products/arborplug.htm

Just curious, anybody else already done this?

Karl

We've been using the "Bayer Advanced" treatment for two years... but the
directions say that it can take several seasons to fully treat a large tree.
I suppose with a large tree, it might be too late by the time the solution
reaches the area where it's needed.