Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight website redesigned

All the old links to items no longer work... They will soon lose a lot
of pagerank and inbound traffic for nothing... Talk about lousy
SEO... It is also slow. The site, though, looks good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15135 wrote:
All the old links to items no longer work... They will soon lose a lot
of pagerank and inbound traffic for nothing... Talk about lousy
SEO... It is also slow. The site, though, looks good.

DO NOT USE IT!!!!

The new site has a MAJOR security issue.

I went there and looked it over. Yes it's slow. They have a notice that
if you had an account prior to the 19 you need to sign up for a new one.

I clicked the account button to create a new account.
Instead of getting any type of account log in or sign-up page I was sent
to the account of a person who lives in the 914 area of NY.
Thinking this was a minor glitch I tried to exit and reload the page.
It brought up a new page with the account information of a person in
Wisconsin!

I closed down the browser, flushed the memory and went back to the site
to see if I could get in. Went to the same "secure" section of the site
and tried the account button again. It took me to yet another members
account information!

I just sent the customer service an E-mail about it but don't know if
they will take action.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-30, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15135 wrote:
[...]

I just tried the same thing, and did not get your result.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15135 wrote:
On 2010-04-30, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15135 wrote:
[...]

What browser are you using?

I just tried it again with the same results.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15135 wrote:
On 2010-04-30, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15135 wrote:
[...]

Next time I got the info for a person from Tennessee!

And this time it was a person from Massachusetts!

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15135 wrote:
On 2010-04-30, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15135 wrote:
[...]

I got a 'create new account' page.
I clicked the speaker icon to get an audio challenge, rather than type
the two words shown. Expected to hear the two words... instead ... it
was funny!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15135 wrote:
On 2010-04-30, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15135 wrote:
[...]

Well I just cleared the cache and went back again. This time I got
results for a male in California!

I would say this is a problem if it is only one machine that can do it.
Oh and by information I mean the persons
Mailing address, Shipping address, Credit card number, order
information, personal settings, E-mail settings, reorder and
cancellation info as well as the ability to change any of the above!

All the same stuff that I would expect to be able to access as a
customer signed in to my own account. Which I STILL haven't been able to
get to.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15135 wrote:
On 2010-04-30, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15135 wrote:
[...]

I got a person from WA.

I e-mailed him and left a phone message so he could make sure his credit
card info had not been compromised also.

Thanks for the heads up.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

Ignoramus15135 wrote:
On 2010-04-30, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15135 wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... I haven't been able bring up any leaked info using Safari on my
Mac. However, I've never had an account with HF either... so I guess I
don't have a dog in this fight.

HF's administrative and technical contact phone, address and e-mail info
can easily be had by running:

harborfreight.com

through:

http://www.whois.com/

I was going to just post the contact info here, but then had second
thoughts... all I need now is HF brass snapping up my ass.

If HF had any of my info, I'd be on them like a starving Chihuahua on a
pork chop.

Hope no one gets burned...

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...ag=mncol;lst;2

March 5, 2010
FTC: Web Site Security Seals Are Lies
Retail Realities: The Federal Trade Commission Proved What Most Suspected:
There's Nothing Behind Those Seals

(CBS) This column was written by Evan Schuman, the editor of
StorefrontBacktalk, a site that tracks retail technology, e-commerce and
security issues. Retail Realities appears every Friday. Evan can be reached at
E-mail and on Twitter.

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) last week screamed "the Emperor has no
clothes" by reporting to consumers that one of the largest firms issuing
"Verified Secure Breach Protection" seals doesn’t really verify much at all. The
practical impact of the ruling for E-Commerce sites is unclear, both because the
FTC has little authority to enforce its rulings and because consumers have
typically been impressively apathetic about security and privacy issues.

The settlement against five-year-old ControlScan said that "contrary to the
statements" ControlScan made to retailers, the company "in many instances
conducted little or no verification of the privacy and/or security protections
for consumer information provided by companies displaying its Business
Background Reviewed, Registered Member, Privacy Protected and Privacy Reviewed
seals. Instead, in many instances, ControlScan provided the Registered Member
seal to a company that failed to qualify for the Verified Secure seal because an
electronic scan of its Web site identified an actual or potential severe
vulnerability on the Web site and permitted the company to display the seal
indefinitely while taking no action to assess whether the company was working to
resolve any vulnerability identified by the Web site scan."

That last charge is particularly significant because it moves these accusations
beyond mere neglect (they never bothered to check) to true, all-American lying
(they checked, found bad stuff and gave them the seal anyway, as long as they
paid their bill).

.. . .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote:

Hmmm... I haven't been able bring up any leaked info using Safari on my
Mac. However, I've never had an account with HF either... so I guess I
don't have a dog in this fight.

I get the create new account page, using Firefox 2 on a Win98 PC (but
it's backward and upside down inside a spiffy Mac G4 case)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ouch! That's a security risk!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve W."
wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not as of yet.

I just got :
Contact Information | Edit
Moses King

Change Password

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ignoramus15135 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:30:49 -0400, "Steve W."
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

Ignoramus15135 wrote:
[...]

I get an invalid security certificate due to wrong url and being
self-signed for the links to account, register, and track. URL not
found for contact us, store finder and other. Order from catalog does
nothing.

Firefox 3.63 and Win7x64.

--

Stephen

E=MC^2.. I'm not fat! I'm energetic!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The website stopped working altogether.

My thinking is that they purchased the software from the same place
where they buy their stuff for sale, namely from The People's Noodle
and Best Precise Instrument Factory And Website Development
Corporation of Dunginbung, China. I hope that they did not pay as
much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thank you for contacting us about your experience on
HarborFreight.com. We take our Customer’s Privacy and Security very
seriously.
Currently, we are investigating the issue you brought to our
attention.

The site has been placed in Maintenance mode until we finish our
investigation. We will reopen the site for business as soon as
possible.

Thank you,

Harbor Freight Tools
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15135 wrote:

All the old links to items no longer work... They will soon lose a lot
of pagerank and inbound traffic for nothing... Talk about lousy
SEO... It is also slow. The site, though, looks good.

Maybe they fixed it by now but they left out machining tools.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Now that the Chinese have infiltrated they're making their power
grab, eh? Not surprised..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-30, Erik wrote:
In article ,

On 2010-04-30, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15135 wrote:
All the old links to items no longer work... They will soon lose a lot
of pagerank and inbound traffic for nothing... Talk about lousy
SEO... It is also slow. The site, though, looks good.

DO NOT USE IT!!!!

The new site has a MAJOR security issue.

[ ... ]

Hmmm... I haven't been able bring up any leaked info using Safari on my
Mac. However, I've never had an account with HF either... so I guess I
don't have a dog in this fight.

HF's administrative and technical contact phone, address and e-mail info
can easily be had by running:

harborfreight.com

through:

http://www.whois.com/

I was going to just post the contact info here, but then had second
thoughts... all I need now is HF brass snapping up my ass.

As of 22:45 EDT *someone* got through to them. I see an image
(not text) which says that the site is "Currently unavailable due to
scheduled maintenance) and offering a phone number for placing an order,
or to complete one in progress.

If HF had any of my info, I'd be on them like a starving Chihuahua on a
pork chop.

:-)

I'm glad that I have never registered with them either.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Off to Harbor Freight [email protected] Woodworking 19 April 4th 09 10:17 PM
Harbor Freight DMM Jim Yanik Home Repair 5 June 5th 06 03:09 PM
Harbor Freight does it again... Pete C. Metalworking 58 January 11th 06 04:36 AM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM
More on Harbor Freight DC mac davis Woodworking 11 November 22nd 04 08:20 PM