Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT hand grip differences

Ignoramus22435 wrote:

I am just wondering about something. I know some people who do not
work physically, and do not train, but who have vise-like hand
grip. And yet some other people have a very weak grip. What would make
some people so much stronger.

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that those with really weak handshakes didn't want to
shake your hand in the first place.

As far as my shake, I try to feed back about the same amount of force given.*

Wes

*None of that stuff with brick layers
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22435 wrote:

I am just wondering about something. I know some people who do not
work physically, and do not train, but who have vise-like hand
grip. And yet some other people have a very weak grip. What would make
some people so much stronger.

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that those with really weak handshakes didn't want to
shake your hand in the first place.

As far as my shake, I try to feed back about the same amount of force given.*

Wes

*None of that stuff with brick layers

Most of the difference has to do with physical factors. Only a small
part of it is exercise/training.

If you tested a lot of people with strong grips they would probably tell
you they don't "feel" the grip as being strong. That is due to the way
their nerves conduct sensory input. You would likely also find they feel
hot/cold less than a "normal" gripped person.

Next has to do with the way the tendons connect up to the individual
bones in the phalanges. The longer the tendons and the farther they
connect away from the joint they operate gives more mechanical
advantage. Just like moving the pivot under a lever changes the ratio
the tendons location acts the same.

Then you have joint construction itself. Some people have the pivot
points set farther off of center than other people. This also increases
the mechanical leverage.

The remainder is what the hands have been used for over the years. More
muscle doesn't always mean more strength. How the muscles work and how
they connect makes a lot of difference.

As for me I do the same as Wes, if someone wants to play crush the hand
they will get a surprise.

I am VERY tolerant of ladies hands though. Especially ones with long,
sharp fingernails, I value my eyes!!!

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22435 wrote:

[...]

I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands and after the hands had healed my
ability to grip between my thumb and the pinky was near zero.

This doesn't seem to have much effect in day to day use such as using
screwdrivers on tight screws or opening jars, but the experience suggests to
me that you might be spot on in your theory.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

[...]

I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands and after the hands had healed
my
ability to grip between my thumb and the pinky was near zero.

This doesn't seem to have much effect in day to day use such as using
screwdrivers on tight screws or opening jars, but the experience suggests
me that you might be spot on in your theory.

That is because the carpal tunnel affect the median nerve, most of the grip
is controlled by the ulnar nerve.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

[...]

I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands and after the hands had healed
my
ability to grip between my thumb and the pinky was near zero.

This doesn't seem to have much effect in day to day use such as using
screwdrivers on tight screws or opening jars, but the experience

suggests
me that you might be spot on in your theory.

That is because the carpal tunnel affect the median nerve, most of the

grip
is controlled by the ulnar nerve.

As I understand things, the surgery does not sever any nerves, rather the
surgeon severs the tendon that runs along the base of the palm and when that
heals back it is a bit longer so less pressure is placed on the nerves that
run through the tunnel. The result is that the inflammation quells and the
nerves then return to normal function.

I assume the loss of pinky to thumb grip is a function of the change in the
mechanical change in the tendon, rather than any difference in the nerves.

But hand anatomy is not my forte so I very well could be way off base.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

What is divided in the op is a band of connective tissue called flexor
retinaculum. It has no direct involvement in moving anything. The thumb
opposition is controlled by the median nerve, the movement of the pinky by
ulnar nerve. If you can squeeze things with your pinky by itself the chances
are that a bit of the median nerve is taking its time to recover.

Without knowing the full history of the problem and a proper examination all
of the above is speculation. This, like making dogs walk on hind legs, is
generally a bad idea and probably should not be done at all :-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC