Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT hand grip differences

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 22:29:38 -0500, Ignoramus22435
wrote:

I am just wondering about something. I know some people who do not
work physically, and do not train, but who have vise-like hand
grip. And yet some other people have a very weak grip. What would make
some people so much stronger.

It could be gentle deference. Just because you can painfully crush
another man's hand in greeting doesn't mean you should. I regard that
as a dirty trick. I am not at all averse to dirty tricks when
appropriate but there are times when more civil restraint is
tactically advantageous.

Some boors can't resist this form of macho crap, including some in
pinstripes. I had a CEO pull that on me. Bad form to break his hand
since I was his subordinate, so I managed to escape without injury to
either of us. He didn't do that again with me.

He respected my contributions, I respected his leadership, it was a
brainfart on his part I found easy to forgive. Jungle law is
operative on mahogany row and Wall Street.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Like Don, I've had a couple of management types pull that **** on me. Big
mistake, I farm with hand tools for a living.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

Some boors can't resist this form of macho crap, including some in
pinstripes. I had a CEO pull that on me. Bad form to break his hand
since I was his subordinate, so I managed to escape without injury to
either of us. He didn't do that again with me.

He respected my contributions, I respected his leadership, it was a
brainfart on his part I found easy to forgive. Jungle law is
operative on mahogany row and Wall Street.

Like Don, I've had a couple of management types pull that **** on me. Big
mistake, I farm with hand tools for a living.

Karl

I know what you mean about the farmer's grip. I live in a small farm town
and one of the hands at the local watering hole although slim, is extremely
strong and likes to do the hand crush thing. The first time he did it, it
caught me unaware and I flinched, after that what I did is tense up. Not so
much that I was squeezing his hand, but rather that I provided resistance to
being squeezed and that seemed to prevent the pain.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:59:55 -0700, the infamous "Roger Shoaf"
scrawled the following:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
tanews.com...

[...]

I had a guy try the vise grip on my hand once, and evidently, my
knuckle needed popping. It hurt like holy hell! Ever since then, if
I think I'll be meeting someone and shaking hands, I pop my knuckles
on my two middle fingers before I meet or shake hands with them. That
pain has never happened again.

I'd avoid Karl's grip, too. His hands are probably very strong from
milking all those apples for juice.

--
Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.