Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do you use 3/4 inch drive sockets for light home use purposes

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

They are handy for the compensator nut on Harley Davidsons.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:55:33 -0400
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Hmm. I've been greasing wheel lugs for about 30 years.
Havn't had a properly snugged lugnut come loose, yet. I do
have some copper based antisieze, though.

Might as well pile on too...

I've been using ~30wt motor oil for about 30 years, haven't had any
troubles with lug-nuts coming loose. Use a large T or X wrench to
torque them down. As a teenager I found out that you never really know
how tight they are using an impact wrench...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Hmm. I've been greasing wheel lugs for about 30 years.
Havn't had a properly snugged lugnut come loose, yet. I do
have some copper based antisieze, though.

Might as well pile on too...

I've been using ~30wt motor oil for about 30 years, haven't had any
troubles with lug-nuts coming loose. Use a large T or X wrench to
torque them down. As a teenager I found out that you never really know
how tight they are using an impact wrench...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

FWIW, I tried to get the opinion of experts on this a couple of times, once
when I was racing sports cars and again 8 or 10 years ago. I never got a
clear answer from anyone.

My old tin of anti-seize is so old that it's lead-based, but I use that on
my own car, because I check the nuts every once in a while. I've never had
one work loose. In my racing days I decided to leave them dry, and I torqued
them with a torque wrench for uniformity.

I don't use the anti-seize on my son's car because cars are appliances to
him (and, apparently, to most of his generation). If I told him to check the
wheel nuts he'd look at me like I was crazy.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I don't use the anti-seize on my son's car because cars are appliances to
him (and, apparently, to most of his generation). If I told him to check the
wheel nuts he'd look at me like I was crazy.

Frankly, I would disown any relative / offspring that had that kind of
disposable mentality.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11457 wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

There are a surprising number of people that have owned backhoes. Why? Well when they
got the bids for grade work, septic systems, ect they figured owning a hoe they got a deal
on might be a money saver.

Are you planning on moving to some acreage and building your new home in the future? If
so and you plan to build it yourself, I have a feeling you might end up with a backhoe.

My brother built a timber frame home on some challenging terrain. The hoe he bought was
free to use even after repairs considering how it allowed him to do things he would have
had to hire out.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-29, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11457 wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

There are a surprising number of people that have owned backhoes. Why? Well when they
got the bids for grade work, septic systems, ect they figured owning a hoe they got a deal
on might be a money saver.

Are you planning on moving to some acreage and building your new home in the future? If
so and you plan to build it yourself, I have a feeling you might end up with a backhoe.

My brother built a timber frame home on some challenging terrain. The hoe he bought was
free to use even after repairs considering how it allowed him to do things he would have
had to hire out.

Wes, a move like that doe snot seem likely to happen. I would love
nothing else than to have some acreage and a barn, but it just does
not seem practical.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ed Huntress wrote:

I don't use the anti-seize on my son's car because cars are appliances to
him (and, apparently, to most of his generation). If I told him to check
the
wheel nuts he'd look at me like I was crazy.

Frankly, I would disown any relative / offspring that had that kind of
disposable mentality.

I expect him to support me in my old age. He's on track for that so far. g

It's a tough adjustment for us old guys, but thinking hard about it, I have
to agree -- cars *are* appliances. I love them and get involved with them,
but it's just a carryover of a time gone by, when I was his age.

And we fix things because we like to. Only sometimes does it make any real
sense. Sometimes we feel smart about it, but most of the time we do it in a
really dumb way, if you're talking about dollars and cents. Just read this
thread and most of the others here on the same general subject. We're here
because we have than mindset, not because we're smart about it. We get our
satisfactions in ways that only make sense on our own terms, not on any
objective ones.

So we drag that baggage along with us, too. He has other things on his mind.
A lot of them are 'way over my head.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15135 wrote:

Wes, a move like that does not seem likely to happen. I would love
nothing else than to have some acreage and a barn, but it just does
not seem practical.

You sound like perfect a candidate for a big pole barn out in the country. You don't have
to live too far out for things to get rural.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:26:58 -0700, the infamous "Steve R."
scrawled the following:

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
m...
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

They are handy for the compensator nut on Harley Davidsons.

What do they use to compensate for the nut on the Harley? gd&r

--
Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:19:13 -0500, Ignoramus11457
wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I have a set I've used maybe a dozen times, which made it well worth
what I paid HF for it on sale. Didn't need to be 3/4" drive, I just
needed the larger sizes. I used a 3/4" to 1/2" adaptor that came with
the set.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So, he spent hours and hours riding a free / cheap hoe, and
that made his wife happy?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message

My brother built a timber frame home on some challenging
terrain. The hoe he bought was
free to use even after repairs considering how it allowed
him to do things he would have
had to hire out.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 22:09:59 -0500, Ignoramus22435
wrote:

It is not really a set, it is a big pile of sockets. They are all
good, just do not make a set. I could probably make a big "set" by
size and then make a small "set" for myself, say from 1.5" to 2".

I might be interested in a trade depending on what you have left after
you make up a set for yourself and if we can find something in my
stash that you can use.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:48:52 -0700
wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I use them occasionally, but seldom for Light Home Use

I use them occasionally for heavy home use. Or for holding doors
open in the Light Home.

I use what is available, and no more than I have to.

pyotr

Ive got a set of those 3/4" drive thin steel sockets one finds at NAPA
for $40 each. Probaly 1/8" wall thickness.

I think the sizes are from 1.25-5"

Probably for pulling hub nuts or something.

Ill probably put em on Ebay or simply sell em/trade em to someone. I
think they are marked OTC brand, US made. Ill have to go look..brb

OTC...

They look to be brand new, never used. Probably 6-8 of the OTC ones

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-4152-otc-1905.aspx

And Ive got one Proto 3 1/2" 1" drive socket, if anyone needs em. Looks
to be brand new as well.

Anyone interested...make an offer and Ill send photos

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost