Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Economy and garage sales

There has been a significant decline in local garage sales both in their
number and in the quality of the stuff available compared with previous
years. Is this happening elsewhere? It seems like there was a lag of about a
year before the economy woes filtered down to the street level.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:33:54 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

There has been a significant decline in local garage sales both in their
number and in the quality of the stuff available compared with previous
years. Is this happening elsewhere? It seems like there was a lag of about a
year before the economy woes filtered down to the street level.

It's still a little early to tell, but I did OK Saturday - Channel
Lock ignition pliers and a new slightly abused Marples 1" wood chisel
with the original plastic guard for $1, 154 feet of 1/4" reinforced
vinyl air hose for $2, Electric knife for SWMBO $1, High quality
caulking gun with $6.99 price sticker still attached $1. Only problem
with the air hose is that I now need a garden hose reel, it is too
awkward to handle it otherwise and I don't want to cut it into shorter
lengths.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are some good garage sales around.

I visited one garage sale recently. I brought home three truck fulls
of stuff from there, last one being yesterday. If anyone needs welding
gas tanks, screw, press, welders, parts washers, let me know how many
you want. I will go there again, it is kind of a big garage
sale. (hangar sized)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 5:33*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
There has been a significant decline in local garage sales both in their
number and in the quality of the stuff available compared with previous
years. Is this happening elsewhere? It seems like there was a lag of about a
year before the economy woes filtered down to the street level.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Lots of folks around here just setting up where there's vacant land or
parking lots with boxes of stuff and racks of clothes. No way of
telling if it's hot stuff, unused goods, current closet and drawer
contents or what. Apparently, no garages. In this town, you're
supposed to get a permit first, don't think any of these have done
that.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There has been a significant decline in local garage sales both in their
number and in the quality of the stuff available compared with previous
years. Is this happening elsewhere?

I would agree that the number and quality of garage sales has declined, but
an educated picker can still do okay. I went to look at some corrugated
steel today, thirty pieces ten feet long for $3 each, and ended up with
that, a Dexter two drum washing machine, a heavy drum cement mixer made out
of old cast, two RR ties, and a 16' telephone pole for $200.

The Dexter goes for $250 on ebay. We're going to use it for an ice tub for
drinks on the patio when it doesn't have potted plants in it. Will go get
it Friday. The damn thing looks so good it might even work, and then I will
have to decide if I want to put it on the market for $300.

Also picked up a 2004 Polaris 400 Sportsman with 804 miles on it. The camo
one with the racks. $2500. Put that puppy on the back of my truck and
brought it home.

Deals are out there, and I got these by placing WANTED ads. You get the
people before they put it on the market, because when they do, if you're not
the first one there, you miss it.

A few weeks ago, a relative wanted us to buy some antiques for Gilley's
restaurant in Las Vegas. We ran around and located several thousand dollars
of cowboy stuff for them. Believe me, there are still lots of deals out
there, and people are soft on prices. Very soft. Very, very, soft. Cash
in hand talks. People listen.

HTH

Steve

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus11457 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:23:14 -0500:

There are some good garage sales around.

I visited one garage sale recently. I brought home three truck fulls
of stuff from there, last one being yesterday. If anyone needs welding
gas tanks, screw, press, welders, parts washers, let me know how many
you want. I will go there again, it is kind of a big garage
sale. (hangar sized)

If only you were closer. I need to get a second 80cf argon bottle.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Apr 26, 5:33 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
There has been a significant decline in local garage sales both in their
number and in the quality of the stuff available compared with previous
years. Is this happening elsewhere? It seems like there was a lag of about
year before the economy woes filtered down to the street level.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Lots of folks around here just setting up where there's vacant land or
parking lots with boxes of stuff and racks of clothes. No way of
telling if it's hot stuff, unused goods, current closet and drawer
contents or what. Apparently, no garages. In this town, you're
supposed to get a permit first, don't think any of these have done
that.

Stan

Most communities call it a "peddler's license", and the office that sells
them is closed on weekends. Hence, little enforcement, unless someone sets
up those huge rug displays week after week. But you notice, it's almost
always on the weekend. Most cops and even ordinance enforcers are too busy
to bust someone trying to just make a few bucks.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-27, Steve B wrote:

... you did pretty good ...

there, and people are soft on prices. Very soft. Very, very, soft. Cash
in hand talks. People listen.

And when my cash does not "talk", I walk. Works for me. Big welding
gas tanks for $10 apiece, piles of Snapon 3/4 and 1" drive sockets for
$20 etc, work out OK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-27, Steve B wrote:

.. you did pretty good ...

there, and people are soft on prices. Very soft. Very, very, soft.
Cash
in hand talks. People listen.

And when my cash does not "talk", I walk. Works for me. Big welding
gas tanks for $10 apiece, piles of Snapon 3/4 and 1" drive sockets for
$20 etc, work out OK.

I have learned that garage sales are just like ebay. There will be another
widget along shortly, and probably for less. I haggle ruthlessly, and if I
can't make at least double my money or more, I don't mess with it. My time
is worth more than that.

I could be fishing.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:23:14 -0500, Ignoramus11457
wrote:

I visited one garage sale recently. I brought home three truck fulls
of stuff from there, last one being yesterday. If anyone needs welding
gas tanks, screw, press, welders, parts washers, let me know how many
you want. I will go there again, it is kind of a big garage
sale. (hangar sized)

In a later message you mention 3/4 drive tools. Any breaker bars and
extensions in 3/4"

How about 1/16" 6011 rod?

Any machineable rod / rod for welding cast iron?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I visited one garage sale recently. I brought home three truck fulls
of stuff from there, last one being yesterday. If anyone needs welding
gas tanks, screw, press, welders, parts washers, let me know how many
you want. I will go there again, it is kind of a big garage
sale. (hangar sized)

In a later message you mention 3/4 drive tools. Any breaker bars and
extensions in 3/4"

aplenty

How about 1/16" 6011 rod?

no

Any machineable rod / rod for welding cast iron?

plenty of machinable cast iron rod and I mean it very
seriously. Nickel 99. I even used some. Works great.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In a later message you mention 3/4 drive tools. Any breaker bars and
extensions in 3/4"

aplenty

How much for a breaker bar, 6 & 12" extensions?
Would they fit in a flat rate box?

Any machineable rod / rod for welding cast iron?

plenty of machinable cast iron rod and I mean it very
seriously. Nickel 99. I even used some. Works great.

That for sure would fit in a flat rate box. How much are you asking
for the rod, Is it 1/8"?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-30, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:

In a later message you mention 3/4 drive tools. Any breaker bars and
extensions in 3/4"

aplenty

How much for a breaker bar, 6 & 12" extensions?

$15 for a breaker bar and I have to see what extensions I have. It is
a T handled bar.

Would they fit in a flat rate box?

definitely not

Any machineable rod / rod for welding cast iron?

plenty of machinable cast iron rod and I mean it very
seriously. Nickel 99. I even used some. Works great.

That for sure would fit in a flat rate box. How much are you asking
for the rod, Is it 1/8"?

1/8 and 5/32. $20/lb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

plenty of machinable cast iron rod and I mean it very
seriously. Nickel 99. I even used some. Works great.

1/8 and 5/32. $20/lb

It would be nice to have, but with the shipping, it puts it a little
higher than I'd want to pay for a pound, when I don't have an
immediate need. Thanks for the quote any way.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I visited one garage sale recently. I brought home three truck fulls
of stuff from there, last one being yesterday. If anyone needs welding
gas tanks, screw, press, welders, parts washers, let me know how many
you want. I will go there again, it is kind of a big garage
sale. (hangar sized)

In a later message you mention 3/4 drive tools. Any breaker bars and
extensions in 3/4"

How about 1/16" 6011 rod?

THATS what I forgot...damn

Ive got some 6011 and some 6013 , 1/16" rod for you. Send me a mailing
address.

How much you need? 10lbs of each?

Gunner

Any machineable rod / rod for welding cast iron?

RWL

Damn..still forgetting stuff. May have some Ni99 rod as well

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost