Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default sorta-OT, VFD's on firepumps

So I got roped into an interesting project, a log cabin in
Califunny. It will have a small (80,000 gallon indoor) pool,
20KW of PV solar array, and lots of other complications.

We're doing everything in 208/3ph [but actually take a PG&E feed
at 4160vac]. This makes things both easier & interesting.

To meet fire regulations, there will be 10,000 gal of potable
water storage and one pump that feeds both domestic users and
the NFPA 13D sprinklers. The code requires one pump so that the
owners don't just neglect the sprinker pump.

They use a VFD drive to meet the varying needs of one faucet or
a dozen sprinker heads. But thus far, I can't find a system that
put in the added diodes to run from 3 phase... Argh.

Anyone seen a VFD-driven firepump that takes 208/3ph in?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:

So I got roped into an interesting project, a log cabin in
Califunny. It will have a small (80,000 gallon indoor) pool,
20KW of PV solar array, and lots of other complications.

We're doing everything in 208/3ph [but actually take a PG&E feed
at 4160vac]. This makes things both easier & interesting.

To meet fire regulations, there will be 10,000 gal of potable
water storage and one pump that feeds both domestic users and
the NFPA 13D sprinklers. The code requires one pump so that the
owners don't just neglect the sprinker pump.

They use a VFD drive to meet the varying needs of one faucet or
a dozen sprinker heads. But thus far, I can't find a system that
put in the added diodes to run from 3 phase... Argh.

Anyone seen a VFD-driven firepump that takes 208/3ph in?

That is wild. We had a major fire where I used to work. After the fire was out and the
insurance company had to pay, they came up with a spec on GPH delivery that the village
could not meet.

This got us into the realm of a water tower and other expensive ideas. We ended up with a
booster pump that litteraly sucked on the fire water supply main enough to meet the
insurance companies specs.

Getting back to your problem, that sounds bit insane. A really big bladder tank sounds
like the way to go so you don't run the monster pump often.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:24:23 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

So I got roped into an interesting project, a log cabin in
Califunny. It will have a small (80,000 gallon indoor) pool,
20KW of PV solar array, and lots of other complications.

We're doing everything in 208/3ph [but actually take a PG&E feed
at 4160vac]. This makes things both easier & interesting.

To meet fire regulations, there will be 10,000 gal of potable
water storage and one pump that feeds both domestic users and
the NFPA 13D sprinklers. The code requires one pump so that the
owners don't just neglect the sprinker pump.

They use a VFD drive to meet the varying needs of one faucet or
a dozen sprinker heads. But thus far, I can't find a system that
put in the added diodes to run from 3 phase... Argh.

Anyone seen a VFD-driven firepump that takes 208/3ph in?

Any 3phase firepump will work on a VFD at the proper voltage.

Now..finding a fire pump that has a 3 phase motor on it...thats
something I know idea about. Or removing the single phase motor and
putting on a replacement 3ph.

Put a 3 minute timer to the fire alarm, a loud warning indicator and
then have it automatically turn on the VFD. G

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

Any 3phase firepump will work on a VFD at the proper voltage.

The pump is the easy part.

Put a 3 minute timer to the fire alarm, a loud warning indicator and
then have it automatically turn on the VFD. G

CalFire/NFPA 13D require there be one pump for potable water and
fire; seems too many homeowners neglected the sprinkler-only
pump. That's why the VFD's are used. When the flow-switch on the
sprinkler line trips, it's time to boogy.

I could use an ordinary VFD but the ones from pump companies
offer many advantages: low flow/high flow protection, low/high
suction, pump overheat, etc. I found the ITT Technologic 502
which does EVERYTHING including RS-485. But I'm hoping for
something less exotic.

--
A host is a host from coast to