Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tweezers?

William Wixon wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I used to like the ones on my swiss army knife. Thin sheet steel, they
got in and grabbed without doing additional damage.
Where are they, dammit??
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/25/2010 9:57 PM, William Wixon wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers!
http://www.slivergripper.peachhost.com/

Precise, inexpensive, handy. Lifetime warranty!

Made in Exotic, Inscrutable West Hartford, CT.

Six dollars and forty nine cents with the - easy - to - use
stainless steel clip holder for your keyring.
http://www.slivergripper.peachhost.com/ct_catalog.htm

When you get your first pair, look at the way the
points precisely meet and remain perfectly aligned.

It is a wonder you have to see for yourself.

(No commercial connection, just a really satisfied
customer.)

--Winston -- Powerless over really good tools

--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/25/2010 9:57 PM, William Wixon wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I don't know what tweezers work best for removing slivers but a while
back I got some advice on removing splinters from a guy who used to work
in a saw mill. Working around wood all the time the guy was always
getting splinters and he said the best way to remove them was with a new
and clean razor blade. Instead of trying to pick out a sliver with
tweezers it worked better to slice down through the skin little by
little with the razor blade. I've tried it myself numerous times since
learning about it and I've found it works well. Just a thought.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:41:15 -0700, Hawke
wrote:

On 4/25/2010 9:57 PM, William Wixon wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I don't know what tweezers work best for removing slivers but a while
back I got some advice on removing splinters from a guy who used to work
in a saw mill. Working around wood all the time the guy was always
getting splinters and he said the best way to remove them was with a new
and clean razor blade. Instead of trying to pick out a sliver with
tweezers it worked better to slice down through the skin little by
little with the razor blade. I've tried it myself numerous times since
learning about it and I've found it works well. Just a thought.

Hawke

I use both. I have a pair of the tweezers Winston recommends (he sent
them to me years ago) and they are as good as he sez. I also use a new
exacto knife blade to mine for splinters. I'll sterilize the site and
blade if it's another's splinter but don't bother if it's mine. I've
dug out hundreds of splinters and haven't had an infection since age
12 or so. I had a dandy then, was in the same hospital at the same
time as Adlai Stevenson as a date reference.

If a part of the splinter is readily grabbable with tweezers, then
just jerk it and yer done. But if it's really buried, digging with
tweezers is far more traumatic than using a very sharp blade to expose
and lift something for the tweezers to grab. I find head-mounted
binocular magnifiers and very good light to be very helpful.

Dealing with a splinter sooner than later gets it done with least
discomfort. If dealt with immediately, it's less than a skeeter bite.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/25/2010 10:19 PM, Don Foreman wrote:

(...)

If a part of the splinter is readily grabbable with tweezers, then
just jerk it and yer done. But if it's really buried, digging with
tweezers is far more traumatic than using a very sharp blade to expose
and lift something for the tweezers to grab. I find head-mounted
binocular magnifiers and very good light to be very helpful.

Dealing with a splinter sooner than later gets it done with least
discomfort. If dealt with immediately, it's less than a skeeter bite.

What Don said.

In addition, a dry paper towel gets a splinter out of your
eye very quickly. Have a partner handy to do the deed.

Obviously, proper protective gear donned before commencing
the job is *much* preferable.

--Winston

--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned dial calipers. They work and are always near
by. I use for those steel chip splinters.

Of course a shop towel and electrical tape is a bandage.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 12:57*am, "William Wixon" wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

Clean up the ones you have by grinding the outer edges of the tips
even, and pulling sandpaper through the closed tips to fit them
parallel.

For prolonged use such as electronic assembly the Erem Swiss tweezers
are very nice:
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=043127607639

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 25, 11:57*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I like these: http://www.labsafety.com/search/Mira...4536107/27244/
Miracle Point Splinter Expert tweezers $2.45 ea.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:51:25 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned dial calipers. They work and are always near
by. I use for those steel chip splinters.

Yeah, I've done that and concur. They work fine.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the friendly local MRI machine. Stand
near machine during use and the splinters simply fly outta ya.

Of course a shop towel and electrical tape is a bandage.

Right, wipe the wound, flip towel over, then tape it up.
PT and TP both work with any tape, too.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

One who's jaws are aligned. I take any tweezers that are not functioning
properly, and get a strip of aluminum oxide. I clamp the strip in the jaws
and pull the strip through. Reverse the side and do it again. Repeat until
the jaws close and match. Takes various numbers depending on how bad the
alignment is in the first place.

Get a bottle of tincture of iodine, and put a dab on the sliver to make the
sliver absorb the iodine and stand out. Makes them infinitely more visible.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com book coming soon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

At times, I will take a big set of nail clippers, and actually cut a divot
of meat out right at the base of the sliver. A lot of times this will get
the sliver, and lots of times, it will expose the sliver enough to get ahold
of it if the sliver is deep. Just don't take a divot deep enough to cause
pain. Stay in the top two layers of skin, and you won't feel it. If
necessary, take two, one in one direction, the other 180 out. You should
get the sliver, or expose it. As mentioned, sometimes a good pointed xacto
knife works well, too.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com book coming soon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
On 4/25/2010 10:19 PM, Don Foreman wrote:

(...)

If a part of the splinter is readily grabbable with tweezers, then
just jerk it and yer done. But if it's really buried, digging with
tweezers is far more traumatic than using a very sharp blade to expose
and lift something for the tweezers to grab. I find head-mounted
binocular magnifiers and very good light to be very helpful.

Dealing with a splinter sooner than later gets it done with least
discomfort. If dealt with immediately, it's less than a skeeter bite.

What Don said.

In addition, a dry paper towel gets a splinter out of your
eye very quickly. Have a partner handy to do the deed.

Obviously, proper protective gear donned before commencing
the job is *much* preferable.

--Winston

Old welders used a piece of horse mane or tail hair.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com book coming soon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 10:09*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"William Wixon" wrote in message

what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

One who's jaws are aligned. *I take any tweezers that are not functioning
properly, and get a strip of aluminum oxide. *I clamp the strip in the jaws
and pull the strip through. *Reverse the side and do it again. *Repeat until
the jaws close and match. *Takes various numbers depending on how bad the
alignment is in the first place.

Get a bottle of tincture of iodine, and put a dab on the sliver to make the
sliver absorb the iodine and stand out. *Makes them infinitely more visible.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.combook coming soon

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult..

I have a pair of Dumont watchmaker/jeweler's tweezers. Very Sharp.
They work wonders for slivers.

I got them from a friend of mine who is a watchmaker...best 17.00 I've
ever spent.

_kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 06:16:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the friendly local MRI machine. Stand
near machine during use and the splinters simply fly outta ya.

No matter which way they went in.....brrrrrr

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:36:32 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Apr 25, 11:57*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I like these: http://www.labsafety.com/search/Mira...4536107/27244/
Miracle Point Splinter Expert tweezers $2.45 ea.

Me too, when I can find one of the 8-10 sets ive bought over the years
at Harbor Freight.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ask a diabetic for a couple of lances.

There is a small, very sharp pin used in the skin-prick device used for
drawing a drop of blood for testing. The replaceable pin is referred to as a
Lance.

The lances are very effective for removing tiny pieces of foreign materials
from skin, with very little collateral damage.

--
WB

"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a pair of Dumont watchmaker/jeweler's tweezers. Very Sharp.
They work wonders for slivers.

I got them from a friend of mine who is a watchmaker...best 17.00 I've
ever spent.

_kevin

I once bought a pair of Revlon tweezers that were touted for doing their
task very well. IIRC, they were probably $7-8, at that time spendy. Came
in a little red felt case. But, they were worth the money. Had them for a
very long time, too. Have no idea where they went. Sometimes you DO get
what you pay for.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hawke wrote:
On 4/25/2010 9:57 PM, William Wixon wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I don't know what tweezers work best for removing slivers but a while
back I got some advice on removing splinters from a guy who used to work
in a saw mill. Working around wood all the time the guy was always
getting splinters and he said the best way to remove them was with a new
and clean razor blade. Instead of trying to pick out a sliver with
tweezers it worked better to slice down through the skin little by
little with the razor blade. I've tried it myself numerous times since
learning about it and I've found it works well. Just a thought.

I use a really fine pair of tweezers marketed as electronics assembly
tweezers. But what _really_ helps is the 10x assembly microscope that I
obtained to use for working with surface-mount circuit boards. It's
amazing how easy it is to take a sliver out when you magnify it up
enough that it looks like a match stick.

Keep in mind that if the sliver is buried you just about have to do
surgery. In order of difficulty of the presentation of the sliver, I
use "household" tweezers, or a needle (slide it alongside the sliver,
then pull up to rip through the skin), or _really sharp_ tweezers
that'll do the job of the needle, or a _brand new_ Exacto knife blade.

If you have a sharp Exacto knife (#11 blade) and really keen eyesight
you can slide the blade in alongside the sliver, then cut straight out
(i.e. slice through the least possible amount of skin). A needle works
for this, but not as well, and it rips the skin, which makes it harder
to see the sliver.

Then grab the sliver with fine tweezers, or lever it out with the blade
or needle, or tease it out with the point.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I use a pair of fingernail clippers.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote:

what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I usually can get slivers out with my fingernails. Wood slivers, I'll use a sharp needle,
if the wood broke off under the skin, to get a purchase on it. I'm not squimish.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"William Wixon" wrote:

what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I usually can get slivers out with my fingernails. Wood slivers, I'll use
a sharp needle,
if the wood broke off under the skin, to get a purchase on it. I'm not
squimish.

Wes

Funny, after you get the little darling out of there and see it, how much a
little piece of something can cause you so much pain and grief

And how much better it feels. Instantly.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

I have a pair of Dumont watchmaker/jeweler's tweezers. Very Sharp.
They work wonders for slivers.

I got them from a friend of mine who is a watchmaker...best 17.00 I've
ever spent.

_kevin

I once bought a pair of Revlon tweezers that were touted for doing their
task very well. IIRC, they were probably $7-8, at that time spendy. Came
in a little red felt case. But, they were worth the money. Had them for
a very long time, too. Have no idea where they went. Sometimes you DO
get what you pay for.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

I use these;
http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...n=push-product

They are eyebrow tweezers also. I never thought about it, until I found a
pair laying on the sidewalk.
I picked them up and said "Jeez, this is a nice pair of tweezers." They are
sturdy, confortable and the jaws are wide and flat and very well fitted.
You have to stone the point though, the factory softens the edges so women
won't put their eye out.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

Funny, after you get the little darling out of there and see it, how much a
little piece of something can cause you so much pain and grief

Sorta like the princess and the pea.

http://childhoodreading.com/Edmund_D...d_the_Pea.html

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

IIRC now, I believe those Revlons were eyebrow tweezers. Although now that
I'm older, I do use tweezers to get those hog bristles out of my own
eyebrows. How does Andy Rooney stand those tangled hedges he has? Good
God, man, at least trim them a bit!

MAKEUP!

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 4:37*pm, Wes wrote:
"Steve B" wrote:
Funny, after you get the little darling out of there and see it, how much a
little piece of something can cause you so much pain and grief

Sorta like the princess and the pea.

http://childhoodreading.com/Edmund_D...ss_and_the_Pea...

Wes

I liked the Carol Burnett version where in addition to the pea the
mattresses were stuffed with scrap car parts.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 26, 4:37 pm, Wes wrote:
"Steve B" wrote:
Funny, after you get the little darling out of there and see it, how much a
little piece of something can cause you so much pain and grief

Sorta like the princess and the pea.

http://childhoodreading.com/Edmund_D...ss_and_the_Pea...

Wes

I liked the Carol Burnett version where in addition to the pea the
mattresses were stuffed with scrap car parts.

Boy I'd love to see a remake of that. Where you could find young
comedic genius to play the princess I don't know -- it seems that you
could hold a candle to the ear of most young starlets today, and blow it
out through the other.

For that matter, I'd love to see a reissue of either of the made-for-TV
versions.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:36:32 -0700 (PDT), the infamous "Denis G."
scrawled the following:

On Apr 25, 11:57*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I like these: http://www.labsafety.com/search/Mira...4536107/27244/
Miracle Point Splinter Expert tweezers $2.45 ea.

Ouch!

Subtotal: $2.45
Shipping: $11.07
Total: $13.52

Same shipping price on 50 items. Go figure.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:09:51 -0700, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

One who's jaws are aligned. I take any tweezers that are not functioning
properly, and get a strip of aluminum oxide. I clamp the strip in the jaws
and pull the strip through. Reverse the side and do it again. Repeat until
the jaws close and match. Takes various numbers depending on how bad the
alignment is in the first place.

Get a bottle of tincture of iodine, and put a dab on the sliver to make the
sliver absorb the iodine and stand out. Makes them infinitely more visible.

I'd rather use merthiolate, you masochist, you.
Oops, it isn't as red.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
[...]

I ATTEMPTED to purchase some tincture of iodine a year ago in Las Vegas.
Not only did I not get any iodine (which, btw was nowhere in the store), but
I arose the interest of the pharmacist who came out and asked me pointedly
who I was and what I wanted Iodine for. I guess you can make a hell of a
lot of meth from 1/8 fl. oz. of 2% iodine. Anyway, I left without the
iodine.

Fast forward to conservative reactionary Utah. I go in to buy some, and the
guy asks me if I need more than a pint. Apparently, they use it for
veterinarian purposes.

Whodathunkit?

Steve

Visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:03:49 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:
If you have a sharp Exacto knife (#11 blade) and really keen eyesight
you can slide the blade in alongside the sliver, then cut straight out
(i.e. slice through the least possible amount of skin). A needle works
for this, but not as well, and it rips the skin, which makes it harder
to see the sliver.

My patented method is to insert the needle perpendicularly under the back
fifth of the sliver, and pull it up; this tears enough of the skin at
the exit (entrance?) opening so that the sliver tends to wiggle free,
especially after I poke at it sideways with the needle and pull back.

+1 re. the microscope. I bought a Chinese 20x lighted binocular for $30
on Ebay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:31:59 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 26, 4:37 pm, Wes wrote:
"Steve B" wrote:
Funny, after you get the little darling out of there and see it, how much a
little piece of something can cause you so much pain and grief
Sorta like the princess and the pea.

http://childhoodreading.com/Edmund_D...ss_and_the_Pea...

Wes

I liked the Carol Burnett version where in addition to the pea the
mattresses were stuffed with scrap car parts.

Boy I'd love to see a remake of that. Where you could find young
comedic genius to play the princess I don't know -- it seems that you
could hold a candle to the ear of most young starlets today, and blow it
out through the other.

For that matter, I'd love to see a reissue of either of the made-for-TV
versions.

I think the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV was a one-hour
Moolighters episode by Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard, "Taming of the
Shrew".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

thanks very much for all your responses.
i USED to have a "miracle point" tweezers, at the time it was the best
investment i ever made (it was such a relief to get a days-old splinter
out), but i can't find it now (and i'm pretty good about putting stuff back
in a specified area). last time i
needed-my-miracle-point-and-couldn't-find-it i did what was suggested, i
"tuned up" a regular old cheap tweezers, sanding between the mating surfaces
and then sanding the front face. that worked pretty good, but... the
splinter i had two days ago, i was reaching for something in my tool bag and
my pinky finger just happened to momentarily brush against my (old) ball
peen hammer's wooden handle and a splinter went right UNDER my *fingernail*.
ooch. i couldn't GET it with the (relatively wide tip) tuned up regular
tweezers. i NEEDED that narrow fine point of a miracle point. finally i
clipped the nail on both sides of the splinter and that exposed the splinter
enough so i was able to grab it with the el cheapo tweezers. whew! was
glad no part of it broke off inside.
in the past, what i usually did, with the miracle point, was to take
miniscule nibbles at the skin surrounding the splinter, eventually i'd
either expose the splinter enough to grab it or sometimes
inadvertently/ADvertently grab the splinter itself. i would imagine the
xacto method is better, thanks for that tip, and the iodine tip too. i only
recently started to need to wear eyeglasses. there's a miracle point that
comes with a magnifying lens, i think i'm going to get at least one of
those.
i think i'm going to get another miracle point, thanks for the link ($2.45!
great price!), this time i'm gonna get 4(!) of 'em. yeah, for me at the
time whatever it was i spent on the first pair was a "huge investment". this
time i'm gonna have one in the house, one out in the shop and give one to a
friend (and have a spare on hand). (and also get four of those "tick keys"
too, went exploring in the woods two days ago and i NEVER had so many ticks
on me before, picked at least 10 off me and at least 15 off my friend (we
got in the car and i said "wow, look at that!" (six ticks crawling on her
jeans on her thigh), she *screamed*, lol).

doesn't it suck when you've got a splinter and the very tip of it is exposed
and rubs against something, it's like a direct connection to the pain center
in your brain, but nearly invisible and you can't find it to get it out.
ooch. puts me in a damn bad mood the whole day till i get it out.

i used to wonder if like an MRI machine would have enough magnetism to pull
out a steel splinter. lol. what do you think? i doubt it huh?

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 7:29*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:36:32 -0700 (PDT), the infamous "Denis G."
scrawled the following:

On Apr 25, 11:57*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I like these:http://www.labsafety.com/search/Mira...4536107/27244/
Miracle Point Splinter Expert tweezers $2.45 ea.

Ouch!

Subtotal: $2.45
Shipping: $11.07
Total: $13.52

Same shipping price on 50 items. *Go figure.

--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- John Ruskin

Ouch! You're right, that shipping stings. I got a few sets when Sears
carried them years ago and I use them quite a bit. I'll have to see
if they pop up elsewhere.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned dial calipers. They work and are always near
by. I use for those steel chip splinters.

Of course a shop towel and electrical tape is a bandage.

Karl

Of course, vernier and electronic calipers also work well.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:26:05 -0500, "William Wixon"
wrote:

i think i'm going to get another miracle point, thanks for the link ($2.45!
great price!), this time i'm gonna get 4(!) of 'em.

Get em at Harbor Freight and save the $11 shipping

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 27, 12:07*am, Don Foreman
I think the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV was a one-hour
Moolighters episode by Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard, "Taming of the
Shrew".

Most of Chuck Lorre's work is very funny. Here's a link to those
vanity cards that flash momentarily at the end:
http://www.chucklorre.com/

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 01:17:18 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Przemek
Klosowski scrawled the following:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:03:49 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:
If you have a sharp Exacto knife (#11 blade) and really keen eyesight
you can slide the blade in alongside the sliver, then cut straight out
(i.e. slice through the least possible amount of skin). A needle works
for this, but not as well, and it rips the skin, which makes it harder
to see the sliver.

My patented method is to insert the needle perpendicularly under the back
fifth of the sliver, and pull it up; this tears enough of the skin at
the exit (entrance?) opening so that the sliver tends to wiggle free,
especially after I poke at it sideways with the needle and pull back.

That's my method exactly. I then use my cuticle clippers to snip off
the skin I tore up and throw some tea tree oil or triple antibiotic on
the hole the splinter left, to prevent infection.

+1 re. the microscope. I bought a Chinese 20x lighted binocular for $30
on Ebay.

I got a couple of these $6 headsets for around the house and shop. I
had to tape the battery covers on, as they tended to fall off, but the
lights work well where necessary. I'm usually under bright CFL fluor
lighting, though.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:34:11 -0700 (PDT), the infamous "Denis G."
scrawled the following:

[...]

If I don't have a needle handy, I use my tweezers from the Swiss Army
knife I have in my pocket. That knife is smaller than my little
finger, but it sure is handy. The toothpick is another handy item,
directly opposite the tweezers, as are the nail file, blade, and teeny
but sharp scissors. http://fwd4.me/ISX Classic SD, blue.
Victorinox Rules!

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:44:55 -0500, the infamous "David R.Birch"
scrawled the following:

Karl Townsend wrote:
"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned dial calipers. They work and are always near
by. I use for those steel chip splinters.

Of course a shop towel and electrical tape is a bandage.

Karl

Of course, vernier and electronic calipers also work well.

FINALLY, a real use for verniers...