Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tweezers?

Yes, that show was amazing!
It was obviously not done for ratings but the sheer joy of doing something
innovative.
I'm grateful I still have it somewhere on VHS!
Moonlighting seemed to set the standard for co-star tension.
Castle, Mentalist, are interesting comparisons...
Chet (who actually worked in television...)

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:31:59 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 26, 4:37 pm, Wes wrote:
"Steve B" wrote:
Funny, after you get the little darling out of there and see it, how
much a
little piece of something can cause you so much pain and grief
Sorta like the princess and the pea.

http://childhoodreading.com/Edmund_D...ss_and_the_Pea...

Wes

I liked the Carol Burnett version where in addition to the pea the
mattresses were stuffed with scrap car parts.

Boy I'd love to see a remake of that. Where you could find young
comedic genius to play the princess I don't know -- it seems that you
could hold a candle to the ear of most young starlets today, and blow it
out through the other.

For that matter, I'd love to see a reissue of either of the made-for-TV
versions.

I think the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV was a one-hour
Moolighters episode by Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard, "Taming of the
Shrew".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/26/2010 9:26 PM, William Wixon wrote:

i used to wonder if like an MRI machine would have enough magnetism to pull
out a steel splinter. lol. what do you think? i doubt it huh?

My last two MRIs the tech asked "are you a metalworker?"
I smiled and said "yes". Both times the tech stopped and stammered
as if I'd said something very inappropriate.

Both times, I went into the machine with no obvious issues.

Apparently some questions have no *wrong* answer.

--Winston

--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 2:57*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

There isn't a best, you know that William. Theres what you can get at
the local stores, anything else is getting just plain pretentious. -
your not doing microsurgery, after all.
Here in OZ, we usually use the point of a knife blade to dig it out.
Helps if the knife is really sharp - oh, BTW - why weren't you wearing
gloves?......G

BTW - anyone using Global brand Japanese kitchen knives? - stuffed if
I can get a decent edge on them, its sharp, but rough. Any ideas? -
done all the conventional things...got good oilstones, etc..

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/26/2010 9:07 PM, Don Foreman wrote:

I think the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV was a one-hour
Moolighters episode by Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard, "Taming of the
Shrew".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV9hg...x=0&playnext=1

Verily.

--Winston

--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 25, 10:57*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

The ones I use I got from an electronic surplus outfit in San Jose,
were like $1 for 3 pair, refugees from an assembly line. Needed a
little TLC and sharpening, work great when I need them. Usually I
just carve down through the dead skin with the small penknife blade
and raise the sliver via thumb and blade. It's kept sharp for just
such emergencies. Saves going through the tool chest.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote:

i used to wonder if like an MRI machine would have enough magnetism to pull
out a steel splinter. lol. what do you think? i doubt it huh?

From what I've read, MRI might not pull it out but will move it around. Not a good thing
depending on where it is.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-27, William Wixon wrote:

[ ... ]

doesn't it suck when you've got a splinter and the very tip of it is exposed
and rubs against something, it's like a direct connection to the pain center
in your brain, but nearly invisible and you can't find it to get it out.
ooch. puts me in a damn bad mood the whole day till i get it out.

Yep!

One approach which sometimes works is to put a sharp knife blade
(or single-edged razor blade) vertical to one side of it and slide it
sideways (not lengthwise, unless you want a nice cut to keep the
splinter company). If this does not work the first time. slide the
opposite direction. If that fails, rotate the blade 90 degrees and
slide both ways as before. If the splinter is not a hardened steel the
blade will lay it down in one direction or another, dig into the side,
and pull it out.

After *that* fails comes the surgery to try to expose it.

i used to wonder if like an MRI machine would have enough magnetism to pull
out a steel splinter. lol. what do you think? i doubt it huh?

They worry about it moving steel splinters around in the eyeball
and stirring things up -- and possibly cutting the lens or some other
part of the eye on its way through.

However a calloused fingertip is harder to cut through -- so I
would suggest soaking the fingertip long enough to soften the skin quite
a bit before trying the massive medical super magnet.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:44:55 -0500, the infamous "David R.Birch"
scrawled the following:

Karl Townsend wrote:
"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned dial calipers. They work and are always near
by. I use for those steel chip splinters.

Of course a shop towel and electrical tape is a bandage.

Karl

Of course, vernier and electronic calipers also work well.

FINALLY, a real use for verniers...

To lots of metal workers I've known, any caliper is a "vernier".

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Apr 26, 2:57 pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

There isn't a best, you know that William. Theres what you can get at
the local stores, anything else is getting just plain pretentious. -
your not doing microsurgery, after all.
Here in OZ, we usually use the point of a knife blade to dig it out.
Helps if the knife is really sharp - oh, BTW - why weren't you wearing
gloves?......G

When metal working, I only wear gloves on hands I don't need.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

doesn't it suck when you've got a splinter and the very tip of it is
exposed
and rubs against something, it's like a direct connection to the pain
center
in your brain, but nearly invisible and you can't find it to get it out.
ooch. puts me in a damn bad mood the whole day till i get it out.

You know, I have had a couple that I have left, or that stayed in there so
long that they make a little Mt. Vesuvius, and it gets even a little
pressure in there. But I didn't mind, because I was positive that once it
looks like that, it'll pop out soon. It'll come out, one way or the other.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote

When metal working, I only wear gloves on hands I don't need.

David

When I did a lot of ornamental metal, I did a lot of work with fresh square
tubing with "fish oil" on it. Black hands and fingernails. Until I found
Orange hand cleaner, I used Dawn. Wrong thing to do! It took so much oil
out of my skin that it cracked and bled. ARGGGGGHHHHHH! A Tim the Too Man
Taylor thing. Tough guy.

Well, this woos, former tough guy now uses orange hand cleaner with pumice
AND lotion afterward. No sense being an idiot.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 27, 7:53*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:34:11 -0700 (PDT), the infamous "Denis G."
scrawled the following:

On Apr 26, 7:29*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:36:32 -0700 (PDT), the infamous "Denis G."
scrawled the following:

On Apr 25, 11:57*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

b.w.

I like these:http://www.labsafety.com/search/Mira...4536107/27244/
Miracle Point Splinter Expert tweezers $2.45 ea.

Ouch!

Subtotal: $2.45
Shipping: $11.07
Total: $13.52

Same shipping price on 50 items. *Go figure.

--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.

Ouch! You're right, that shipping stings. *I got a few sets when Sears
carried them years ago and I use them quite a bit. *I'll have to see
if they pop up elsewhere.

If I don't have a needle handy, I use my tweezers from the Swiss Army
knife I have in my pocket. That knife is smaller than my little
finger, but it sure is handy. The toothpick is another handy item,
directly opposite the tweezers, as are the nail file, blade, and teeny
but sharp scissors.http://fwd4.me/ISX*Classic SD, blue.
Victorinox Rules!

--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- John Ruskin

Maybe I'll have to get a real Swiss army knife. I've never been
impressed with the tweezers from the army knives I've had (probably
knock-offs) -- just too flimsy. They're only good for holding bugs if
you want to examine them closely.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" on Mon, 26 Apr 2010
05:51:25 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned dial calipers. They work and are always near
by. I use for those steel chip splinters.

I was going to wait and see.

I never could find a pair of tweezers which would actually get the
little fine slivers. Was bitching about it at work and one of the
guys say "Use your calipers- they've got a flat surface." "Well,
duh!" says I.

Of course a shop towel and electrical tape is a bandage.

If it gets that big, I will get the medical kit out. Otherwise, I
keep a roll of the micropore paper tape. Tape it shut and back to
work.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:41:05 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 4/26/2010 9:07 PM, Don Foreman wrote:

I think the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV was a one-hour
Moolighters episode by Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard, "Taming of the
Shrew".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV9hg...x=0&playnext=1

Verily.

I MUCH prefer his more subtle wit in his later works, such as the "Die
Hard" series, "The Fifth Element", "The Last Boy Scout", and "Last Man
Standing", and her wit in the movie where she played a hitwoman (can't
find the title, damnit.)

--
Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 21:08:55 -0500, the infamous "David R.Birch"
scrawled the following:

Karl Townsend wrote:
"William Wixon" wrote in message
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned dial calipers. They work and are always near
by. I use for those steel chip splinters.

Of course a shop towel and electrical tape is a bandage.

Karl
Of course, vernier and electronic calipers also work well.

FINALLY, a real use for verniers...

To lots of metal workers I've known, any caliper is a "vernier".

To lots of metalworkers, electricity is new and leather belting is
modern. gd&r

--
Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
what's the consensus on the best (sliver removing) tweezers?

I use a brand-new X-acto blade, the one that comes to a sharp point. I
can excavate a tiny bit around the sliver to expose it, then use the
blade side to drag the sliver out. Most slivers from machining have
very rough surfaces, so the brand-new blade easily catches in the
roughness and pulls the sliver out. no way can you get fine enough
tweezer points to grab a tiny sliver as well as this.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-28, Don Foreman wrote:
On 28 Apr 2010 04:22:50 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Here's what my personal favorite is (except for the price):

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/Twee...5-Dumont.html?

Enjoy,
DoN.

That price is insane.

It is. But it was the first I found with an image of the
Tweezers in question.

http://store.wpiinc.com/Dumont-5_c_69.html

Those prices are a bit more reasonable -- adjusting what I
ordered them for at work for inflation.

Thanks for finding that one.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The price may seem to be insane, but consider that no others are made of
"100% high-tech allow".