Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dewalt miter saw stops

I have a dewalt 705 miter saw. The sae first started to stay on
regarless of pressing the handle now when you press the handle it
comes on sometimes for a split second then does not do anything.
Sometimes it does not come on at all. I took the cover off and could
bend one of the wires to the switch and make it come on sometimes. I
tightned this cleaned the connections etc but nothing worked.

Is this the switch?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I have a dewalt 705 miter saw. The sae first started to stay on
regarless of pressing the handle now when you press the handle it
comes on sometimes for a split second then does not do anything.
Sometimes it does not come on at all. I took the cover off and could
bend one of the wires to the switch and make it come on sometimes. I
tightned this cleaned the connections etc but nothing worked.

Is this the switch?

How old is it? Probably needs new brushes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 25, 6:39*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

I have a dewalt 705 miter saw. The sae first started to stay on
regarless of pressing the handle now when you press the handle it
comes on sometimes for a split second then does not do anything.
Sometimes it does not come on at all. I took the cover off and could
bend one of the wires to the switch and make it come on sometimes. I
tightned this cleaned the connections etc but nothing worked.

Is this the switch?

How old is it? *Probably needs new brushes.

How do I tell what it needs?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

I have a dewalt 705 miter saw. The sae first started to stay on
regarless of pressing the handle now when you press the handle it
comes on sometimes for a split second then does not do anything.
Sometimes it does not come on at all. I took the cover off and could
bend one of the wires to the switch and make it come on sometimes. I
tightned this cleaned the connections etc but nothing worked.

Is this the switch?

How old is it? Probably needs new brushes.

How do I tell what it needs?

If you can start ( or stop) it by bending the wire, replace the bloody
wire! Its pretty obvious that the wire has broken inside the insulation so
replace that section of wire. If that doesn't work, get an ohmmeter from the
local $2.00 shop and trace the wire from the active on the plug to the
neutral on the plug while turning it on and off. If the wires are OK, then
replace the brushes. If that doesn't work, then buy a new one or call an
exorcist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

I have a dewalt 705 miter saw. The sae first started to stay on
regarless of pressing the handle now when you press the handle it
comes on sometimes for a split second then does not do anything.
Sometimes it does not come on at all. I took the cover off and could
bend one of the wires to the switch and make it come on sometimes. I
tightned this cleaned the connections etc but nothing worked.

Is this the switch?

How old is it? *Probably needs new brushes.

How do I tell what it needs?

A $5 HF ohmmeter would tell you in a few seconds if you've got a
busted line cord. You can unscrew the brush caps on the motor to
check condition on those. DeWalt service is online for parts, if you
need them, just got some stuff for my big scroll saw, took less than 3
days to show up. Also have exploded drawings and user guides. You
will need the details off the motor sticker as to the exact version,
sometimes there's 3 or 4 versions. Or you could just haul it in to
the local DeWalt service center, mine is less than a mile off(didn't
have the parts, though).

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

[...]

Stan- Hide quoted text -

How do I check the switch with the ohm? I really feel it might be the
switch as it stuck in the on postion and would not stop runnign right
before all of this happened.