Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default looking to buy metal lathe price questions

I'm in the market for an older american made metal lathe Logan South
Bend Atlas
Any info on pricing?
9" or 10" X 24"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 6:48*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
G Martin fired this volley in news:dcaefe32-8f58-
:

I'm in the market for an older american made metal lathe *Logan South
Bend Atlas
Any info on pricing?
9" or 10" X 24"

I know this guy. *He's legit... just new to metalworking, and wanting a
good deal.

I already cautioned him about short-bed machines, but I'm really not up-
to-date on pricing for medium-old iron, being about ten years since I
purchased a lathe.

LLoyd

Thanks Lloyd
I definetly don't want any of the new imported stuff and shopping
around my local area there isn't to many right now.
Looked at the small 6" Atlas/Craftsman and a bit to small for my needs
I think.

Greg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Old American or European lathes are a wise choice. Bed length that short will be a issue. Especially so if the spindle is
threaded, as the center hole is small. Pricing of older lathes are inversely proportionate to their size. Small lathes suffer
power and stiffness issues, as well as being expensive. The ideal size for a home lathe is a balance between affordability, price
performance and physical size. Older small lathes often use the motor behind configuration and although very nice, consumes a lot
of floor space, more than many much larger machines. Although not popular with many, I find taper attachments indispensable. I own
3 lathes and every one of them has a taper attachment. The value of any machine is proportional to the amount of tooling that goes
with it. Buying from a machine dealer will result in less tooling than buying private. Do not buy a lathe that cuts less than 40
different threads or does not have spindle speeds less than 90 RPM. Do not buy a machine that does not use common spindle
configurations, including the spindle taper. (just talk to Iggy). In my humble opinion, the best compromise is a 12 speed, 13x 40
lathe with a D1-4 spindle and a MT 5 taper. The consumed floor space is close to the same as a smaller machine without the price
premium of a small machine. Be prepared to spend $2500 to $4,000 for a fully equipped and tooled used machine in good condition.
You will find less expensive deals, but they will rarely meet all the parameters above and meeting these parameters up front is
infinitely less expensive than tooling after the fact.
Steve

"G Martin" wrote in message ...
I'm in the market for an older american made metal lathe Logan South
Bend Atlas
Any info on pricing?
9" or 10" X 24"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:39:44 -0700 (PDT), G Martin
wrote:

I'm in the market for an older american made metal lathe Logan South
Bend Atlas
Any info on pricing?
9" or 10" X 24"

First of all..where do you live?

Pricing differs all over the nation.

In industrial areas..they can be had for very little money

In non industrial areas/states..they can be far more money.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:08:47 -0700 (PDT), G Martin
wrote:

[...]

Personally..Id strongly recommend a Logan 11 x 24 or 36, as long as its
in GOOD condition

Or even a bigger lathe. If you have the room..many lathes 11x36 or so
can be had. And at that size..even the imports tend to be pretty good.
Or even a 13/14/15" lathe. I run across them for $1500 fairly regularly

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

G Martin wrote:
I'm in the market for an older american made metal lathe Logan South
Bend Atlas
Any info on pricing?
9" or 10" X 24"

Well, I'm in DFW.
A week ago I advertised a nice 9x17 Logan, QC gearbox, automatic apron,
very good condition, with bench, for $1200. I could have sold it 3 times.
It will be gone this afternoon.

There is a pristine Atlas 12" cabinet lathe in Dallas, like new,
well-tooled, with new taper attachment, not sold at $2500. I think it
could be bought for $1500, maybe less.

That's two local pricepoints that are pretty representative for this
area. Metal lathes sell quickly if they aren't junk

Nice American iron sells for over $1000 pretty easily.
Even the Atlas 618s can get over $800 if nice and well-tooled.
Southbends seem to command a premium, but I prefer the Logans for their
tapered-bearing headstocks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My "Keeper" lathe right now is a 10x24 Enco, built in the 1980s.
I sold a Logan to keep this one, good machine.
I expect I'll sell it too, and put the proceeds for a new Asian 13x40
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'm in the market for an older american made metal lathe *Logan South
Bend Atlas
Any info on pricing?
9" or 10" X 24"

First of all..where do you live?

Pricing differs all over the nation.

In industrial areas..they can be had for very little money

In non industrial areas/states..they can be far more money.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." *Grey Ghost

I'm on the west coast where soon they will probably ban you from
owning a lathe at home! Just kidding they ban everything else out
here.
I came across a Logan 10' x 24" asking price $800 but have to go look
at it to see condition and what tooling he has with it. Does that
price seem high?

Thanks
Greg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm on the west coast where soon they will probably ban you from
owning a lathe at home! Just kidding they ban everything else out
here.
I came across a Logan 10' x 24" asking price $800 but have to go look
at it to see condition and what tooling he has with it. Does that
price seem high?

Fully tooled in good condition: that's a deal.

Beat to **** and no tooling: walk

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I have a Logan mod 922, 11"x36" Bench Mod. with cast legs. Purchased
in '04 for $1850. Reasonable shape and reasonably tooled, 3 jaw, 4jaw,
steady rest, face plate, 5C adapter and a few collets. The shipping
was a killer from FL. to WA.

Your $800 in good shape with _any_ tooling sounds like a good deal.

I Really like the Logan. They are still in business and can provide a
measure of support for their older machines. Must say they are proud
of parts but the quality is first class.

HTH
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 24, 10:23*am, "RAM³" wrote:
G Martin wrote in news:cf95d411-b7b9-4d4b-9c43-
:

I'm on the west coast where soon they will probably ban you from
owning a lathe at home! *Just kidding *they ban everything else out
here.

What state - and how far from Taft, Ca. (Gunner's home base)?

BTW, you DO like cats, don't you? g

Central valley Calif just south of Sacramento.
That model 200 for $800 has no tooling and the guy has never cut
threads with it so I don't think there are any change gears.
I just found another Logan 10" x 24" model 815 QC gear box 5 drawers
full of tooling ( several chucks, faceplate, steady rest, follower
rest, live centers, jacobs chucks ect.) The guy is asking B.O. $750
to low to start?

Greg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I too am on the Left Coast. Bakersfield and Ontario.

How much can you afford? I work as a service tech in machine shops all
over So Cal and run into stuff all the time.

You may also wish to contact Leigh at MarMachine..Costa Mesa. He
specializes in hobby type used industrial machine tools. A very fair man
with good Stuff on hand all the time

Drop him an email and see what he has

Or simply call him

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_fk830v

He has been overloaded with smaller lathes.

http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Machine...2e m14?_pgn=2

Drop me an email, telling me what you want..and Ill hunt you up
something.

gunnerasch at hotmail dot com

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24 Apr 2010 17:23:59 GMT, "RAM³" wrote:

G Martin wrote in news:cf95d411-b7b9-4d4b-9c43-
:

I'm on the west coast where soon they will probably ban you from
owning a lathe at home! Just kidding they ban everything else out
here.

What state - and how far from Taft, Ca. (Gunner's home base)?

BTW, you DO like cats, don't you? g

Shusss.....!!! Dont tell him he gets a cat with every purchase

Btw..I have a Hardinge TFB lathe for sale..$2200 obo
And it will have a 3 jaw, live center, tool holders etc etc

Nice lathe, no threading

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hardinge/page3.html

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 24, 11:37*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 24 Apr 2010 17:23:59 GMT, "RAM³" wrote:

G Martin wrote in news:cf95d411-b7b9-4d4b-9c43-
:

I'm on the west coast where soon they will probably ban you from
owning a lathe at home! *Just kidding *they ban everything else out
here.

What state - and how far from Taft, Ca. (Gunner's home base)?

BTW, you DO like cats, don't you? g

Shusss.....!!! *Dont tell him he gets a cat with every purchase

Btw..I have a Hardinge TFB lathe for sale..$2200 obo
And it will have a 3 jaw, live center, tool holders etc etc

Nice lathe, no threading

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hardinge/page3.html

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." *Grey Ghost

Well I just missed out on a Logan 815 w/QC gearbox and tons of tooling
it sold for $900

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Machine...W0QQ_sidZ42863...

Drop me an email, telling me what *you want..and Ill hunt *you up
something.

gunnerasch at hotmail dot com

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." *Grey Ghost- Hide quoted text -

Gunner
That email address @aol is no good?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

if you contact me off the group, I may be able to put you in contact with a
guy who has some nicer lathes than that - but they would be closer to Los
Angles than Sacramento.

For what it's worth, I paid $1200 for my Logan/Powermatic (12X48) with a
couple of chucks and not much else, I added a VFD to drive it and it is
serving me well - that lathe came from near Ventura

"G Martin" wrote in message
On Apr 24, 10:23 am, "RAM³" wrote:
G Martin wrote in news:cf95d411-b7b9-4d4b-9c43-
:

I'm on the west coast where soon they will probably ban you from
owning a lathe at home! Just kidding they ban everything else out
here.

What state - and how far from Taft, Ca. (Gunner's home base)?

BTW, you DO like cats, don't you? g

Central valley Calif just south of Sacramento.
That model 200 for $800 has no tooling and the guy has never cut
threads with it so I don't think there are any change gears.
I just found another Logan 10" x 24" model 815 QC gear box 5 drawers
full of tooling ( several chucks, faceplate, steady rest, follower
rest, live centers, jacobs chucks ect.) The guy is asking B.O. $750
to low to start?

Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"G Martin" wrote in message

On Apr 24, 10:23 am, "RAM³" wrote:
G Martin wrote in news:cf95d411-b7b9-4d4b-9c43-
:

I'm on the west coast where soon they will probably ban you from
owning a lathe at home! *Just kidding *they ban everything else out
here.

What state - and how far from Taft, Ca. (Gunner's home base)?

BTW, you DO like cats, don't you? g

Central valley Calif *just south of Sacramento.
That model 200 for $800 has no tooling and the guy has never cut
threads with it so I don't think there are any change gears.
I just found another Logan 10" x 24" model 815 *QC gear box *5 drawers
full of tooling ( several chucks, faceplate, steady rest, follower
rest, live centers, jacobs chucks ect.) *The guy is asking B.O. *$750
to low to start?

Greg- Hide quoted text -

Bill
How do I contact you off list?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill
How do I contact you off list?

I sent an email to the address you post from - that might work, otherwise,
please go to my web site, www.wbnoble.com and pick up my real email from
there - I do that because when I used my real email in newsgroup postings I
started getting a LOT of spam - by using an invalid email address, I don't
get spam from the spiders that crawl the newsgroups, at least.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:52:59 -0700 (PDT), G Martin
wrote:

On Apr 24, 10:23*am, "RAM³" wrote:
G Martin wrote in news:cf95d411-b7b9-4d4b-9c43-
:

I'm on the west coast where soon they will probably ban you from
owning a lathe at home! *Just kidding *they ban everything else out
here.

What state - and how far from Taft, Ca. (Gunner's home base)?

BTW, you DO like cats, don't you? g

Central valley Calif just south of Sacramento.
That model 200 for $800 has no tooling and the guy has never cut
threads with it so I don't think there are any change gears.
I just found another Logan 10" x 24" model 815 QC gear box 5 drawers
full of tooling ( several chucks, faceplate, steady rest, follower
rest, live centers, jacobs chucks ect.) The guy is asking B.O. $750
to low to start?

Greg

That sounds much much better.

Now you need to check it for "way wear"..and if its ok, pay the man.

Oh..and check EACH of the gear ranges in the threading box.

Gunner, Bakersfield area

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Its good.

Or email him via his Ebay auctions.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:20:25 -0700 (PDT), G Martin
wrote:

[...]

Saw that one coming. You need to prioritize your desire for bargain
vs desire for a lathe that will suffice for your purposes.

Time works. My Bridgeport mill bought used about 1990 cost about 3X
what that model in similar condition would cost now if one could be
found, and they do turn up from time to time. But I've enjoyed it
for 20 years so it was a very good deal for me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:

For what it's worth, I paid $1200 for my Logan/Powermatic (12X48) with a
couple of chucks and not much else, I added a VFD to drive it and it is
serving me well - that lathe came from near Ventura

Man, I'd like to find one like that to go with my Powermatic mill.
Is it bright green? White Racing stripe?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 24, 10:13*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:

Bill
How do I contact you off list?

I sent an email to the address you post from - that might work, otherwise,
please go to my web site,www.wbnoble.comand pick up my real email from
there - I do that because when I used my real email in newsgroup postings I
started getting a LOT of spam - by using an invalid email address, I don't
get spam from the spiders that crawl the newsgroups, at least.

Thanks Guys
I just got a Clausing 5419 12" x 36" from the original owner that
bought it new just for hobby use at home.
The 5 drawer tool box full of tooling was worth more then the price of
the machine if bought alone.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-26, G Martin wrote:

[ ... ]

Thanks Guys
I just got a Clausing 5419 12" x 36" from the original owner that
bought it new just for hobby use at home.

A good machine. And since this had only hobby use, you probably
don't have problems with the vari-speed hydraulics and pulleys. (It
won't hurt to check the pulley bushings for wear and replace them now if
there is noticeable wear -- before the wear starts attacking the pulley
halves themselves.

My Clausing is a 5418 12x24" machine. Step pulley speed
changes.

The 5 drawer tool box full of tooling was worth more then the price of
the machine if bought alone.

Great!

Does it include a quick-change toolpost? If not -- go for one
in the BXA/Series-200 size (Aloris, Dorian, Phase-II wedge style --
*not* piston).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

yes it is - just as you say, except that I removed the original drum switch
and put a digital RPM display in its place - part of it is visible in the
"hobby/tools" section of my web page, www.wbnoble.com.

Nice enough lathe for my purposes but I can see a lack of rigidity under
really heavy cuts. I wouldn't mind having a clausing with an L00 spindle
instead....

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

For what it's worth, I paid $1200 for my Logan/Powermatic (12X48) with a
couple of chucks and not much else, I added a VFD to drive it and it is
serving me well - that lathe came from near Ventura

Man, I'd like to find one like that to go with my Powermatic mill.
Is it bright green? White Racing stripe?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
yes it is - just as you say, except that I removed the original drum
switch and put a digital RPM display in its place - part of it is
visible in the "hobby/tools" section of my web page, www.wbnoble.com.

Dang, I hate you! G
I looked on your website and did not see a lathe. Just an Abene mill and
a drill press

Nice enough lathe for my purposes but I can see a lack of rigidity under
really heavy cuts. I wouldn't mind having a clausing with an L00
spindle instead....

I'd be more likely to find a Clausing down here.
Maybe we'll trade at some point

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

For what it's worth, I paid $1200 for my Logan/Powermatic (12X48)
with a couple of chucks and not much else, I added a VFD to drive it
and it is serving me well - that lathe came from near Ventura

Man, I'd like to find one like that to go with my Powermatic mill.
Is it bright green? White Racing stripe?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
Bill Noble wrote:
yes it is - just as you say, except that I removed the original drum
switch and put a digital RPM display in its place - part of it is
visible in the "hobby/tools" section of my web page, www.wbnoble.com.

Dang, I hate you! G
I looked on your website and did not see a lathe. Just an Abene mill and
a drill press

Ah, just the corner, I see it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:55:26 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:

Bill Noble wrote:
yes it is - just as you say, except that I removed the original drum
switch and put a digital RPM display in its place - part of it is
visible in the "hobby/tools" section of my web page, www.wbnoble.com.

Dang, I hate you! G
I looked on your website and did not see a lathe. Just an Abene mill and
a drill press

Nice enough lathe for my purposes but I can see a lack of rigidity under
really heavy cuts. I wouldn't mind having a clausing with an L00
spindle instead....

I'd be more likely to find a Clausing down here.
Maybe we'll trade at some point

You do know that catruckman AT aol.com is bursting at the seams with
lathes and mills at the moment, are you not?

Costa Mesa California.

Since machine shops in California are going tits up at record
rates...lots and lots and lots of machines are available

Gunner

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

For what it's worth, I paid $1200 for my Logan/Powermatic (12X48)
with a couple of chucks and not much else, I added a VFD to drive it
and it is serving me well - that lathe came from near Ventura

Man, I'd like to find one like that to go with my Powermatic mill.
Is it bright green? White Racing stripe?

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
[...]

I'll drop him a note. I bet he'd ship

THanks

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

For what it's worth, I paid $1200 for my Logan/Powermatic (12X48)
with a couple of chucks and not much else, I added a VFD to drive it
and it is serving me well - that lathe came from near Ventura
Man, I'd like to find one like that to go with my Powermatic mill.
Is it bright green? White Racing stripe?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

G Martin wrote:

I'm in the market for an older american made metal lathe Logan South
Bend Atlas
Any info on pricing?
9" or 10" X 24"

What sort of things are you planning to make?

Wes

Some basic metal lathe questions Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 July 19th 05 10:18 AM
Rockwell Delta Metal Lathe questions. It's for sale, too. Trevor Jones Metalworking 4 June 23rd 05 03:49 PM
Sheet Metal project price question. lane Metalworking 7 January 4th 04 08:56 PM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
what is average price metal standing rooding [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 14th 03 06:07 AM