Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Injection molding photos

--Put up a set of photos on flickr; of interest to anyone trying
injection molding in the home shop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...7623911723596/

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer writes:

--Put up a set of photos on flickr; of interest to anyone trying
injection molding in the home shop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...7623911723596/

Nice!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Put up a set of photos on flickr; of interest to anyone trying
injection molding in the home shop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...7623911723596/

Awesome. I just finished machining my first prototype injection mold for
rubber baits the other day. Now I need to make an injector ... or wait for
the one I ordered to arrive. LOL.

Thanks for posting that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 23 Apr 2010 17:22:03 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Put up a set of photos on flickr; of interest to anyone trying
injection molding in the home shop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...7623911723596/

Simple-minded question:-

What does one do for venting in an injection mould?

Mark Rand(currently trying to re-make some rubber parts)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand fired this volley in
:

Simple-minded question:-

What does one do for venting in an injection mould?

Mark, at the pressures 'real' injection moulding equipment works, the
tenth-of-a-thou clearances between clams is all the venting necessary.
Modern tribo-melt equipment squishes the resin in there at 10,000-20,000
psi. The air is going to move unless you have an hermetic seal. It
takes a different time to squeeze out the air for every
mould/resin/tempedrature combination, but injector ram dwells are set for
the mould AND the resin AND the temperature, and if the mould is well
built, the over-pressure limits kick as soon as the mould is really full
to the flash lines. For really complex forms, the "hot runner" idea is
used, which heats the 'conductor lines'(runners) between the nose of the
injector and the cavities, so the stuff doesn't congeal until it reaches
the cavities.

I don't discourage anyone from trying stuff, but those parts Ed made were
- um - _really_ bad... really... He'd have been a LOT better off trying
to CAST the parts from a low-vis liquid resin.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand writes:

On 23 Apr 2010 17:22:03 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Put up a set of photos on flickr; of interest to anyone trying
injection molding in the home shop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...7623911723596/

Simple-minded question:-

What does one do for venting in an injection mould?

Mark Rand(currently trying to re-make some rubber parts)
RTFM

I'd be really interested in hearing your experiences with this -- my '78
Newport needs quite a few rubber parts replaced, and I've had zero luck
finding them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

-- making rubber parts: a pal of mine by the name of Duke Croft
made a vulcanizer from an old hot plate, topped with a press that was made
from a brake drum of some kind. He used a garden hose to run the press. Will
see if I can get him to send me some photos.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 23 Apr 2010 17:22:03 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Put up a set of photos on flickr; of interest to anyone trying
injection molding in the home shop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...7623911723596/

Anyone looking for a simple injection molder machine check out

www.injectionmolder.net

He's one of my customers.

Randy

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I don't discourage anyone from trying stuff, but those parts Ed made were
- um - _really_ bad... really... He'd have been a LOT better off trying
to CAST the parts from a low-vis liquid resin.

--Part of what you were seeing were plastic parts made while I was
purging the machine of black Nylatron, replacing it with 'natural' color
Nylon. They look a whole lot better now and the flash is gone too.. Will
crank out more parts once I'm done restoring machine #2.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Wrote to my pal Duke and he sent me some sketches of how he did
his home vulcanizing. If you like I can forward 'em via email, to give you
an idea of how he did it.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer fired this volley in news:4bd5ca1e$0$1654
:

--Part of what you were seeing were plastic parts made while I was
purging the machine of black Nylatron, replacing it with 'natural' color
Nylon. They look a whole lot better now and the flash is gone too.. Will
crank out more parts once I'm done restoring machine #2.

Is this a commercial tribo-melt machine, or a "drill press" type home
injector?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 11:45*pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
Mark Rand writes:
On 23 Apr 2010 17:22:03 GMT, steamer wrote:

* * * *--Put up a set of photos on flickr; of interest to anyone trying
injection molding in the home shop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steambo...7623911723596/

Simple-minded question:-

What does one do for venting in an injection mould?

Mark Rand(currently trying to re-make some rubber parts)
RTFM

I'd be really interested in hearing your experiences with this -- my '78
Newport needs quite a few rubber parts replaced, and I've had zero luck
finding them.
--

"How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts" by Cannon is your text.
Still available from Amazon, I got mine 20 years ago. I've seen it in

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 26 Apr 2010 17:16:40 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Wrote to my pal Duke and he sent me some sketches of how he did
his home vulcanizing. If you like I can forward 'em via email, to give you
an idea of how he did it.

That would be interesting...

My current attempts are heading towards gravity casting with 2 part PU based
rubber, but I know that its oil resistance is less than perfect.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Is this a commercial tribo-melt machine, or a "drill press" type home
injector?

--I'd put it somewhere in the middle. It's probably the absolute
minimum setup one might consider for limited production. I'm doing prototype
stuff for 'proof-of-concept' so I'm forever tinkering with the dies and I'm
in no particular hurry.
--I would definitely NOT want to do production with this beastie as the
throughput is probably around 10 parts/hr at full gallop, due to very small
size of melt volume, purely hands-on separation of mold halves and parts
from same, etc.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Update: put up some more photos, this time showing details on the
Honajector. And thanks to the nice folks at the Yahoo injection molding
group I've found a source for the "clamp on thermostat" control for half
the price of the one Simplomatic wanted to sell me. Here's the link:
http://www.ppe.com/10cat/0714.pdf

Injection molding steamer Metalworking 9 March 10th 10 10:35 PM
Injection molding forum? steamer Metalworking 23 February 25th 10 03:19 AM
Injection Molding Machine - Gingery - Machining Tolerances [email protected] Metalworking 8 August 17th 08 02:38 AM
Injection Mold [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 24th 07 03:45 PM
Injection Mold blfi2bur Home Repair 0 December 24th 07 03:41 PM