Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mini drill press for kids

My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:35:37 -0500, Ignoramus10488
wrote:

My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

All three of my boys started with the jig saw I got for 1.25 at a
church men's club auction. Sure, you can cut yourself with it, but its
not gonna pull you in and spit out loose pieces. Probably the fact
that I grew up with a coping saw and orange crates contributed to my
choice of a first power tool. My first power tool was a 1/4" electric
drill at 18, I still use it occassionally.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-23, Gerald Miller wrote:
All three of my boys started with the jig saw I got for 1.25 at a
church men's club auction. Sure, you can cut yourself with it, but its

He has a jigsaw and uses it a lot with balsa. Yes, I think that it is
safe for the same reasons.

not gonna pull you in and spit out loose pieces. Probably the fact
that I grew up with a coping saw and orange crates contributed to my
choice of a first power tool. My first power tool was a 1/4" electric
drill at 18, I still use it occassionally.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10488" wrote in message
My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

How about something like this:
http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BE...RESS,8283.html
No belts to worry about.

I was also thinking of the Seig micro-mill (X1), but it seems to have been
discontinued. At least I can't find it sold anywhere now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

Crom Iggy..the kid is 9, not 5.

Get him a small chicom drill press and teach him how to change speeds.
Keep the belt loose. Something 1/4 hp would be about right. Wont take
off his fingers, but will hurt him enough to teach him to keep his
fingers out of moving machinery he was told not to touch when running.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got started out with an egg beater drill, and a set of
bits. The bits were so soft that one of them bent (really)
instead of breaking. Years later, I wonder that I got
anything done, but some how I did. I think this (below) is
good advice.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
if you start him out with hand tools, including a hand drill
(aka egg
beater), he will have much more skill and appreciation of
power tooks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
if you start him out with hand tools, including a hand drill (aka egg
beater), he will have much more skill and appreciation of power tooks

Maybe, but for learning one should start off easy and progress to the
harder things. Making it easier leads to more satisfaction & less
discouragement. A hand drill is for when you can't use a drill press G.

Regarding belt drive: I think it's better, as the belts can be adjusted
loose enough to avoid major ugliness. That & a smaller motor should
keep him out of too much trouble.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Bill Noble wrote:
if you start him out with hand tools, including a hand drill (aka egg
beater), he will have much more skill and appreciation of power tooks

Maybe, but for learning one should start off easy and progress to the
harder things. Making it easier leads to more satisfaction & less
discouragement. A hand drill is for when you can't use a drill press G.

Regarding belt drive: I think it's better, as the belts can be adjusted
loose enough to avoid major ugliness. That & a smaller motor should
keep him out of too much trouble.

If you are worried about the belts, put a small hasp and padlock on it
for the first year or two.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Getcher self a copy of the Micro Mark catalog; they offer a pile
of 'hobby' equivalents of home shop tools. Some of those would be perfect
for a kid..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I teach a couple 4-H technology and robotics teams of 9-16 year-olds on
top of my kids having run of the garage. I would hesitate to teach
other people's kids without their umbrella insurance policy.

One 13 year-old boy this year had never drilled a hole before, he was
very excited when I showed him how and let him at it.

#1 Kid sized safety glasses for all - strictly enforced! I like these
because they are cheap and fit kids: http://amzn.com/B0010ZCPDY
#2 Hearing protection on all loud tools
#3 Repeated instruction and close supervision to start

Here is the order of power tools as they gain skill and confidence:

1. keyless hand drill - work clamped
2. scrollsaw - with foot switch and light
3. soldering
4. drill press - with vise. I like my delta quick release 4-inch drill
press vise
5. wood bandsaw
6. wood miter saw - only with holddown clamp and roller stand
7. hand jigsaw
8. dremel tool - clamped work, no bits with teeth
9. pneumatic cutoff tool- work clamped - they love the sparks!
10. mill-drill - supervised only

Nobody has gotten to lathe, table saw, or circular saw yet and I don't
have a welder (yet).

Enjoy,
Chris

Ignoramus10488 wrote:
My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-23, Ignoramus10488 wrote:
My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

I've got one very nice one -- with only a 1/8" chuck (Albrecht
keyless) -- but it has a belt drive. The later versions of it now have
a full cover over the belt.

Unfortunately, while mine cost me $150.00 back around 1973 or
so, they have since fallen in love with them and are asking around
$800.00 last time I checked. These are the "Cameron Micro Precision"
sensitive drill presses. While it is small, it is really a tool for a
serious adult, not a kid.

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

What I would suggest (if they are still made) is a 1/4" hand
held electric drill and the adaptor stand which makes it into a drill
press. Typically, there is some slop so the bit can wander from side to
side a bit, but it still is good enough for a lot of things.

They often are made only to work with the same brand of hand
held electric drill.

Here is an example of one which claims to be "universal" on
eBay.

370368985838

Here is another, which looks as though it is designed for an
electric drill with a cylindrical section right behind the chuck, again
will not fit all hand held electric drills:

370369050576

This next one is quite similar to the one which I used before I
could get a real drill press (but it is a lot grungier):

300419545394

This one at least lists the electric drills which it was made to
work with:

290427723546

O.K. *This* is the one which I used all those years ago
(starting in about 1957 or 1958 IIRC):

290427047596

It could be improved by making two more feed arms and drilling and
tapping for them at 120 degree intervals around the collar. You'll need
ball handles for the ends, too.

The search string was simply "drill press stand", and I had to
skip over a bunch of ones for Dremels and other such.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN, and others, here's an update. My son loves his dremel tool, which
I like too because it is not powerful and can run slow. We bought a
drill press-like adapter for it at Home Depot and I bought a drill
chuck for it on amazon.

I wanted to convince him to get this

http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BE...RESS,8283.html

But he said that he preferred the dremel adaptor. That's fine with
me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/23/2010 1:05 PM, Ignoramus10488 wrote:
My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

Have a look at the modelling power tools sold by Micromark ,I think they
have a small drill press .
Also Proxxon have some smaller power tools avavilable ,not sure if they
are sold in the US .
http://www.proxxontools.com/store/pc...?idCategory=20

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kevin(Bluey)" wrote in
. au:

On 4/23/2010 1:05 PM, Ignoramus10488 wrote:
My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present
that is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder
for a Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I
would be better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But
after looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable
for kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed
presses seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue
protection, he could forget).

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

Have a look at the modelling power tools sold by Micromark ,I think
they have a small drill press .
Also Proxxon have some smaller power tools avavilable ,not sure if
they are sold in the US .

They are - which shouldn't be too surprising since they're a US company!

The General Store - Proxxon
N1246 Thrush Drive
Greenville, WI 54942

Phone: 920-757-1718
Fax: 920-757-0974

Email:
Website:
www.ProxxonTools.com

http://www.proxxontools.com/store/pc...?idCategory=20

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5662 wrote in
:

DoN, and others, here's an update. My son loves his dremel tool, which
I like too because it is not powerful and can run slow. We bought a
drill press-like adapter for it at Home Depot and I bought a drill
chuck for it on amazon.

I wanted to convince him to get this

http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BE...-MINI-HOBBY-DR
ILL-PRESS,8283.html

But he said that he preferred the dremel adaptor. That's fine with
me.

One thing that the Dremel "drill press" will do that a real one won't is
to serve as a "tool holder" that lets the user use both hands while
buffing/sanding/grinding since the tool can be clamped in the horizontal
position.

Yah - I've got one and use it often. GRIN
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24 Apr 2010 17:15:10 GMT, "RAM³" wrote:

Ignoramus5662 wrote in
m:

DoN, and others, here's an update. My son loves his dremel tool, which
I like too because it is not powerful and can run slow. We bought a
drill press-like adapter for it at Home Depot and I bought a drill
chuck for it on amazon.

I wanted to convince him to get this

http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BE...-MINI-HOBBY-DR
ILL-PRESS,8283.html

But he said that he preferred the dremel adaptor. That's fine with
me.

One thing that the Dremel "drill press" will do that a real one won't is
to serve as a "tool holder" that lets the user use both hands while
buffing/sanding/grinding since the tool can be clamped in the horizontal
position.

Yah - I've got one and use it often. GRIN

Your drill press cant be clamped in a lower position???????

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

On 24 Apr 2010 17:15:10 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Ignoramus5662 wrote in
om:

DoN, and others, here's an update. My son loves his dremel tool,
which I like too because it is not powerful and can run slow. We
bought a drill press-like adapter for it at Home Depot and I bought
a drill chuck for it on amazon.

I wanted to convince him to get this

http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BE...ED-MINI-HOBBY-
DR ILL-PRESS,8283.html

But he said that he preferred the dremel adaptor. That's fine with
me.

One thing that the Dremel "drill press" will do that a real one won't
is to serve as a "tool holder" that lets the user use both hands while
buffing/sanding/grinding since the tool can be clamped in the
horizontal position.

Yah - I've got one and use it often. GRIN

Your drill press cant be clamped in a lower position???????

The Dremel "Drill Press" is an "accessory" that holds the rotary tool
either vertically or horizontally and provides a rack-and-pinion feed
mechanism.

It's a scaled-down version of the "Drill Press accessories" sold for use
with 1/4"-3/8" electric drills. (I have one of those, too. g)

FWIW, I also have a 12" floor-mount 15-speed drill press...

BTW, there was an excellent reason for using the quotation marks...G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 10:35*pm, Ignoramus10488 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
10488.invalid wrote:
My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

Good idea.

Hand-eye cooridination develops in the 10-12 year range...the same
time intense interest in hobbies occur.

Any chance you could attach a hand crank on a small motorized (minus
the motor for awhile) press so he could use it manually for a few
years?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-24, Ignoramus5662 wrote:
DoN, and others, here's an update. My son loves his dremel tool, which
I like too because it is not powerful and can run slow. We bought a
drill press-like adapter for it at Home Depot and I bought a drill
chuck for it on amazon.

I wanted to convince him to get this

http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BE...RESS,8283.html

But he said that he preferred the dremel adaptor. That's fine with
me.

So -- get *that* one for you! It looks like a nice one for the
price. If you want to do precision small hole drilling this will be
better than most floor-standing drill presses. :-)

If I didn't have the Cameron Micro Precision, I would go for
that one myself.

You'll find him using it eventually. :-)

BTW That *does* have a belt under the cover -- and you are expected
to shift the belts at least for more torque if not for speed
control.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24 Apr 2010 18:35:29 GMT, "RAM³" wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

On 24 Apr 2010 17:15:10 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Ignoramus5662 wrote in
news:zKqdnVHeUZu67U_WnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@giganews. com:

[...]

VBG

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 24, 7:11*am, "RAM³" wrote:
"Kevin(Bluey)" wrote m.au:

[...]

Post drill
http://www.beautifuliron.com/thepost.htm
They're fun to operate if it's not your job.
Karl