Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Possible to convert t-12 suspended ceiling lights?

I found a lot of used older florescents that were in a suspended
ceiling in a lumber store. I bought this winter about 10 plug in t-8
lights that just hang on chains. (shop lights). Would it be ossible to
take parts of the older lights out and fit my T8's into the old
enclosure if I ever decided to use a drop ceiling in my garage?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 8:34*am, Randy wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 03:38:05 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I found a lot of used older florescents that were in a suspended
ceiling in a lumber store. I bought this winter about 10 plug in t-8
lights that just hang on chains. (shop lights). Would it be ossible to
take parts of the older lights out and fit my T8's into the old
enclosure if I ever decided to use a drop ceiling in my garage?

yOU WOULD ONLY NEED TO SWAP THE BALLAST OVER AND RE-WIRE CORRECTLY FOR
THE NEW BALLAST. * (oops, cap lock off.)

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Using my current lamp holders too I guess?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I found a lot of used older florescents that were in a suspended
ceiling in a lumber store. I bought this winter about 10 plug in t-8
lights that just hang on chains. (shop lights). Would it be ossible to
take parts of the older lights out and fit my T8's into the old
enclosure if I ever decided to use a drop ceiling in my garage?

yOU WOULD ONLY NEED TO SWAP THE BALLAST OVER AND RE-WIRE CORRECTLY FOR
THE NEW BALLAST. * (oops, cap lock off.)

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Using my current lamp holders too I guess?

Just replace the ballast, and the lamp holders, and maybe the
sheetmetal, since it won't fit the new lampholders.
Sounds pretty easy to do. I think you can keep the chains at least.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I found a lot of used older florescents that were in a suspended
ceiling in a lumber store. I bought this winter about 10 plug in t-8
lights that just hang on chains. (shop lights). Would it be ossible to
take parts of the older lights out and fit my T8's into the old
enclosure if I ever decided to use a drop ceiling in my garage?

yOU WOULD ONLY NEED TO SWAP THE BALLAST OVER AND RE-WIRE CORRECTLY FOR
THE NEW BALLAST. * (oops, cap lock off.)

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Using my current lamp holders too I guess?

Lamp holders should be the same.

Since T-12's are being phased out, Ive been replacing mine with T8's,
I got a case of ballasts off ebay a few years ago.